Engine stops on freeway I stuck on shoulder

dbeyer

Fuel volume regulator control circuit low

Do you have the code number for this?

P0091 & P0003

When you turn the ignition to start, does anything happen at all?

No

Does the MBII let you monitor the start process on the ECM live data? You can check to see if the start signal is reaching the ECM.

Not sure my buddy lent it to me. Control module voltage is 7.9V but doesn't change when I turn ignition to start position.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just to double check: you DID open the fuse block that is bolted on to the battery's positive terminal?

I would also highly suspect the ECM relay that is on the bottom of the steering column's fuse block:
(item (2) in this drawing)

I think you can swap it with another relay for testing (its coil may be bad, its internal contacts could be dirty)

Another area of frequent failure is where the engine's wiring harness bends behind the fuel filter. Cutting the plastic Ty-Wrap lets you "soften" the bend and massage the wiring bundle. If symptoms change after that, you may have located the problem.

good luck
--dick

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Fwiw the actual key switch can be a weak link. It is a mechanical switch with contact points and they can fail. Perhaps check for current flow through the key switch in its various positions. Ie 12v in, then in different key positions there will be 12v out...key switches have messed me up plenty over the years on older vehicles.

dbeyer

Just to double check: you DID open the fuse block that is bolted on to the battery's positive terminal?

Yes inspected fuses and have 12 volts on both sides of the fuses.

I would also highly suspect the ECM relay that is on the bottom of the steering column's fuse block:
(item (2) in this drawing)
I think you can swap it with another relay for testing (its coil may be bad, its internal contacts could be dirty)

Switched the relays as you suggested.

Another area of frequent failure is where the engine's wiring harness bends behind the fuel filter. Cutting the plastic Ty-Wrap lets you "soften" the bend and massage the wiring bundle. If symptoms change after that, you may have located the problem.

Inspected wiring harness and moved around without any change.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Time to get down to troubleshooting in a methodical way. Test the ECM, SKREEM, and Cluster for power at there connectors. If so, move on to communication. Can the scanner connect to each of these modules. If so, move on to start sequence. Confirm ignition switch signal, SKREEM handshake, and then move on to starter. Since the unit stalled, I don't believe you will get this far. You either have a wiring fault causing the stall, or a sudden failure of the ECM (very rare).

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Do you think this caused the engine to die while traveling 60 MPH on freeway and now is the cause of no starter spinning at all?
Not likely. I have never seen a trans issue cause stalling like that, and fail to restart. The CANbus wires do run through that connector, so its possible it could prevent a start by blocking communication (not likely).

Even if this was the case, unplugging the connector should then allow a start.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I don't know that. The connector seal failure is common here on this forum(with oil wiking damaging the Tcm) with Mb vehicles. I'm on the third connector but corrected the leak befor the wicking. I saw a wet connector and replaced it.
Suggest watching the u-tube video, shown on the euro parts link ..how to clean and replace.
thanks, I ordered the transmission cable connector.

Do you think this caused the engine to die while traveling 60 MPH on freeway and now is the cause of no starter spinning at all?
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37012&highlight=Connector+leaking+oil

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
If you can't even scan the engine, why are u messing with the tcm?
U Really need to slow down and get methodical.
Your sudden engine stop points to a broken connection/wire, though a sensor failure should show up on the scanner.
In your situation i would study the wiring diagram and make sure you had 12v where you are supposed to, key off, key on, key start.

dbeyer

In your situation i would study the wiring diagram and make sure you had 12v where you are supposed to, key off, key on, key start.
Thanks Patrick

With key in #2 or #3 position

The Starter Motor Relay 12v switch supply reads 3.4 volts

The Fuel Pump Relay 12v switch supply reads 0 volts

Both relays are supplied 12 volts through splice S108 with the key in #2 or #3 position

2004 & 2005 service manual 8W-91 Connector/Ground/Splice Location

Page 8W-91-11 identification page skips S108 totally. :thinking:

Anybody know where splice S108 is located, or the where 12 volt supply originates from?

S108 is not under the seat because both relay 12v supply wires go through the floor and become part of the large harness that runs to the dash behind the battery.

With the Starter Motor Relay removed, jumpers to on and the key in the start position I get the sweet sound of the starter turning the engine over.

Any ideas?

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Those are some funky readings..

The Fuel Pump Relay 12v switch supply reads 0 volts

Any ideas?
Remind us.. when you go to start do you feel a click in the starter relay? I forget if the ecm will even allow the motor to start if the high pressure pump isn’t seeing the low pressure it needs to fire. If not, this could be your issue as you need low pressure. But that 3.4v at starter relay is just weird leading me to believe ground issues which you’re already on to.

dbeyer

R u reading those voltages at the key switch wiring harness or at the respective relays?

Measured at Relays, switch is unplugged, felt funky, new switch arrives tomorrow.

Accessories, run, start reproduced with jumpers where the switch plugs in to the back of fuse block 1.

Those are some funky readings..

Remind us.. when you go to start do you feel a click in the starter relay?

No Click

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Not a sprinter, but I had an ignition switch melt down on an accord once. Just suddenly stopped working. A short in the harness had overloaded the switch, melting the solder out of the pins. So if you aren't getting power through the ignition switch, you should be able to bypass. Either with a jumper, or by plugging in a spare switch outside the ignition/lock assembly? Never tried it myself.

dbeyer

Not a sprinter, but I had an ignition switch melt down on an accord once. Just suddenly stopped working. A short in the harness had overloaded the switch, melting the solder out of the pins. So if you aren't getting power through the ignition switch, you should be able to bypass. Either with a jumper, or by plugging in a spare switch outside the ignition/lock assembly? Never tried it myself.

Did that, with jumpers.

see my temporary starter switch.

Attachments

jrod5150

Misread your original post, my appologies theres alot of back n forth going on.. no cranks without the start error on the cluster is typically the ground strap or the negative cable to firewall. Even though they look physically good they can be bad. Sometimes just grabbing that ground cable and moving it is enough to allow it to start. Being that you lost power on the freeway is something I havent experienced. In the parked no start situation I will typically have a good strong battery and a 2nd battery (jumper) I place one lead on the battery + and I attach the negative jumper lead to the strap bolt below the fuel filter.

I recently parked one and went back out a few days later to start it, no go. Long testing story short, the cluster showed “P” but the transmission cable must have not fully engaged the physical transmission shifter arm into park. Moving the shifter back and forth did the trick although this doesnt explain your dying on the freeway. Perhaps your chasing multiple
Issues

Last edited:

Top Bottom