Thoughts on Treadwright Tire (retreads)

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I came across Treadwright https://www.treadwright.com/ when searching around for tires. They’re remanufactured and look like they’re the same patterns as BFGoodrich uses. Does anyone have any experience with these? They seem like an outstanding value.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Re: Thoughts on Treadwright Tire

No experience, but most retreads are hit and miss on being able to balance them for hwy use. Many poor reviews on Amazon. Make sure you can get a refund or replacement on a bad tire. I wouldn't gamble.

Hydriotaphia

I see a lot of bad reviews on them, maybe you should just go with the more reliable brands since it's quite risky.

OffroadHamster

NEVER
CHEAP
OUT
ON
TIRES

Your life may depend on it.

I would NEVER put re-treads on a vehicle with only 4 tires where your factor of safety for a blow out is ZERO. Retreads are for farm equipment, Dualies you are not towing with, and tractor trailers.

I would also never put garbage chinese tires (Goodride, nankang etc etc) on anything you are going to operate at highway speeds. Ever. Period.

Dont do it.

Psbuckley

I purchased a set of 4 for an older dodge 4wd about 4 years ago. All were difficult to balance but one was nearly impossible. The guy that mounted it said he got it as close as he could and that was going to have to be good enough.
They wore unevenly and had to be replaced shoot 10-12 thou miles later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.

As a poor boy trying to make it in the world, I drove for several years on retread tires without any mishaps (early 1980s) in a lightweight econobox at standard highway speeds (55 mph or so). I wouldn't do it now because I can afford not to. If the amount of money you are saving is a significant fraction of the cost of the vehicle you are putting them on, and it is all you can afford, then the risk may well be worth it. But if you are saving a few hundred dollars on a vehicle worth thousands or tens of thousand, perhaps not.

JFC

Even if they are very popular, BFG isn,t a great choice for Sprinter.
A cheap copy ?
No
If you are on a tight budget, your better get a used set of good LT tires.
There is lot kore than tread in a tire, structure and compound, quality control among others.
Total compact patch of all 4 tires is about 1 square foot, that not much between a mooving loaded van and the surface of the earth.
Don,t cheap on tire, good ones will be safer more fun to drive and will last longer than ****ty ones.

lindenengineering

NEVER
CHEAP
OUT
ON
TIRES

I would NEVER put re-treads on a vehicle with only 4 tires where your factor of safety for a blow out is ZERO. Retreads are for farm equipment, Dualies you are not towing with, and tractor trailers.

I would also never put garbage chinese tires (Goodride, nankang etc etc) on anything you are going to operate at highway speeds. Ever. Period.

Dont do it.
I agree with qualification.
Having run a 1000 unit bus fleet in Iraq the central workshop had a tire recon unit.
Yes significant saving over new.

The retread caps were supplied by Bridgestone or Sumitomo ,
Fitted to all four wheels on a decker carrying about 85 passengers the performance was "acceptable to good" at city use of ten stops a mile and infrequent bursts of road speed up to 50 mph .

Overall the main issues arose by delamination of the tread by breakdowns of vulcanization of the tread cap coming away from the carcass .
Consequently it was found that any internal tyre carcass that exceeded 75 Celsius of core temperature for a prolonged period would start the breakdown down in vulcanization integrity of the recap.
By caparison a new quality radial of 1100 x 20 bus tyre type could withstand at least 85 C core temperatures for extended periods. This was useful info when in the peak of simmer Iraqi road temps exceeded 100 c.
For that reason remolds are not allowed on steer axle of OTR trucks in Iraq with the State Organization of Land Transport nor here in the USA . .
Dennis

Even with as cheap as I can be at times, given the available selection of low(er) priced, decent quality LT rated tires I would never even consider retreads for highway use. As much as so many other vehicle technologies have improved over the years, it seems to me that retread tire technology and performance has remained status quo these many decades.

There are many reasonably priced LT rated tires which come with good performance and decent customer reviews.

:2cents: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
There is a reason you will not see recap tires used as steering tires on big rigs. For duals and trailers they are economical option.

Hydriotaphia

NEVER
CHEAP
OUT
ON
TIRES

Dont do it.
I certainly agree with you on that.

Motero

"Overall the main issues arose by delamination of the tread by breakdowns of vulcanization of the tread cap coming away from the carcass .
Consequently it was found that any internal tyre carcass that exceeded 75 Celsius of core temperature for a prolonged period would start the breakdown down in vulcanization integrity of the recap.
By caparison a new quality radial of 1100 x 20 bus tyre type could withstand at least 85 C core temperatures for extended periods. This was useful info when in the peak of simmer Iraqi road temps exceeded 100 c.
For that reason remolds are not allowed on steer axle of OTR trucks in Iraq with the State Organization of Land Transport nor here in the USA . .
Dennis "

Exactly true!!

I bought treadrights for a chevy pickup that was just a junk hauler used a few times a month. They did not last through one Phoenix Arizona summer. One buy one the tread let go, They gave ample warning they were coming apart before any damage was done. If your the type who pays attention to every thing going on with the vehicle you are driving.

outbound

06/2500/140
I used to work in a tire retreading shop after school. No way I'd use them.

2nd that and merely the observation of how much retread debris one sees along the interstates?

using retreads is just plain NUTS.

since your tires are the only thing between the pavement and your life...

:2cents:

ions82

NEVER
CHEAP
OUT
ON
TIRES

Dont do it.

Agreed on the retreads. Disagree on the Chinese tires. Garbage tires can come from any manufacturer. Remember the Firestone debacle that gained national attention back around 2000? Tires that came stock on huge Ford SUVs were blowing out and sending them rolling. I know a lady who was paralyzed while her husband suffered a severe TBI (leaving him incapacitated for life) when their Firestone-equipped Ford went tumbling down the interstate *when the tire blew out.*

I've seen plenty of quality stuff come from China as well as plenty of garbage. Likewise, I've seen a mix of quality and crap come from here in the U.S. Long ago, I realized that throwing blanket statements onto products from a particular country is short-sighted. You've really gotta look at each product individually. Fortunately, things like tires aren't TOO complicated to manufacture, and organizations like the DOT do a decent job of making sure that we aren't rolling around on rubber time bombs. Millions of "garbage" Chinese tires cover billions of miles each year , and I don't see cars piling up in accidents. Reckless driving is a far greater problem.

To make this post even more long-winded, I'm also wondering if the power of the internet has also made manufacturers step up their game in terms of quality. We all read online reviews for pretty much everything. If a company makes a crappy product, MANY people are gonna read about it. It's amazing how quickly companies selling on Amazon will respond to a negative review.

Top Bottom