Need Advice - Recurring Error Code P0715 and Limp-Home Mode

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
Gentlemen:

This is my first post here. I have a 2005 3500 SHC with 155,000 miles, acquired recently from auction. This is my 4th Sprinter. On all previous Sprinters I've followed Dr A's service recommendations for dropping the trans valve body, cleaning, inspecting and reassembling with new ATF (using the Fuchs 236.14 fluid), each time with noticeable improvement and trouble-free service.

On this latest acquisition I didn't get around todoing this service and put about 1,500 miles on the vehicle. Yesterday, after two hours of highway driving in 80F sunny weather, I noticed the tranny slipping badly when I tried to get going from a stop-sign at the off-ramp. The cluster gauge indicated about 215F. I limped the vehicle to the nearest parking lot and let it sit idling in park for about 20 minutes, then shut down and let it cool for an hour. Upon restart (temp indicating about 170F) I found that the tranny no longer seemed to be slipping (or at least much less so), but the only usable forward gear was 2nd (top speed about 30 mph), which I assume is limp-home mode.

So, I drove the van to my sister-s home about 3 miles away and let it sit and cool off for almost two hours while I went in another vehicle to nearest auto parts store to get an OBD2 scanner and 8 quarts of ATF. My best choice compromise was Valvoline Maxlife. Back at my sister's house I dropped and drained the tranny pan (drain bolt seriously stuck, suggesting to me that it might have been a very long time since the last trans service), dropped the valve body and pulled the solenoids. The fluid was very brown, but there did not appear to be any sediment in the screens or on the magnets. I noticed that when I pulled the electrical plug from the tranny before dropping the valve body, the inside of the connector was wet with fluid.

After reassembling and filling with 7 quarts of the temporary ATF fluid (Maxlife), the tranny seemed to shift normally between forward and reverse, and on driving appeared to accelerate without noticeable slippage, but is apparently locked in limp-home mode. The OBD2 scanner reports a single error code: P0715 (which I understand to be input shaft speed sensor.) Each time I clear the code it returns.

I can't help but wonder: is the P0715 code likey the cause of the limp-home mode, or merely a result of it? Is the electrical plugin the side of the tranny supposed to stay dry, and if so could the leaking connector seals be the cause of the error code and limp-home?

Any illumination on this topic will be greatly appreciated, even if only to tell me that I'm asking the wrong questions.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Gentlemen:

I have a 2005 3500 SHC with 155,000 miles

I can't help but wonder: is the P0715 code likey the cause of the limp-home mode, or merely a result of it? Is the electrical plugin the side of the tranny supposed to stay dry, and if so could the leaking connector seals be the cause of the error code and limp-home?
I do not work with 'generic codes' and code readers but I suspect that if this is indeed a slippage DTC involving the transmission's speed sensors, then your generic reader has uncovered and erased the companion DTC which the TCM reports to the ECM and is logged in the ECM as well.

You should use a DAD or DRBIII to erase this DTC in both the TCM and ECM.

If this was a temporary fault then this should resolve your LHM episode.

Fliud in the male connector is not uncommon and likely not a factor with speed sensor related DTCs.

Doktor A

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
Well, all is better now. I took the van (in limp-home mode) to my local independent Mercedes mechanic (great guy!) so that he could connect it to his diagnostic computer. It turns out that the problem underlying the generic P0715 error code was low voltage to the transmission - curious!

So, I pulled off the connector plug at the transmission and checked the voltage. Sure enough, the input voltage was reading only 4 volts when it should have been 12v nominal. So I pulled off the driver seat pan to get to the TCM (transmission control module, I assume) so that I could check the input and output voltages there. Input was fine at 12v, but output seemed to be intermittent between 6 and 12 volt. That's when I noticed that the plug at the TCM which connects the wiring harness running down to the transmission connector was wet with ATF. It seems that the slightly leaking connector at the transmission was wicking ATF up the wiring loom, through the floor pan and back to the TCM connectrion.

We took the TCM apart and found it dry inside with no readily visible evidence of any damage. Reassembled the TCM, sprayed the haness connectors liberally with electrical parts cleaner and then reconnected the wiring harnesses to the TCM. A few minutes later we re-checked the transmission input voltage at the lower plug and found it normal at 12 volts.

My mechanic reconnected his diagnostic computer, confirmed the correct voltage at the tranny and reset the ECM to clear the limp-home mode. Almost like magic, the Sprinter was back in business and has been fine since. In order to avoid this inconvenience in the future, I promptly replaced the electrical connector socket at the transmission with a new unit. Upon reinstalling the wiring plug into the socket, a firm and tight fit was evident (as compared with the easy slide-on fit before).

The lesson from this (I think) is: replace the transmission electrical connector socket when doing your transmission service; it will save a lot of grief. I believe that I did not adequately appreciate the importance of this detail previously. If you find the wiring harness between your TCM and transmission damp with ATF, immediately clean it with electrical parts cleaner before it can cause voltage drop (and the dreaded limp-home) and cure that leak!

Last edited:

pyramidhvacr

I have the same thing but the wicking is other then tran. from under hood back the seat.
Replace TCM about 3 weeks ago lump mode after 30 min driving ever other day now hard mode limp. Press brake the dash lamp goes out. Dropping money a deal to many times. help :bash::bash::bash:

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
I have the same thing but the wicking is other then tran. from under hood back the seat.
Replace TCM about 3 weeks ago lump mode after 30 min driving ever other day now hard mode limp. Press brake the dash lamp goes out. Dropping money a deal to many times. help :bash::bash::bash:
I'm not sure what you mean by "the dash lamp". If you meant to say that the instrument cluster lighting cuts out when you step on the brake, I'd guess that you're having a larger systemic problem than just the transmission control system, perhaps something as fundamental as a faulty ground connection(??).

Don't get caught in the trap of swapping parts and hoping for the best. Take your Sprinter to a competent technician with the right diagnostic equipment. You'll be back on the road sooner, and perhaps with less overall expense.

pyramidhvacr

Been to TAG and DODGE both ck and reset. The Lamp to show your speed is on when i press the breaks' so if driving at night can not see anything but the Drive (D) . code p0715 . Ck system power when a/c cond. fan run drops to 12.5 from 13.5v. New locked in PARK can not drive to dealer. I tried to reset the other day only to see all the panel (xmas ) lights and beeping. The dealer said it under the dash he need the remove the tape to see the wire to ck.

pyramidhvacr

Attachments

pyramidhvacr

Now $750.00 later it dealer for dash lights ($360.00) /($390 for repair wiring on rear lamps) but still in limp mode . 6 volts on main power from TCM to tran. Something not talking to TCM . New TCM. O if anyone need a new TCM If may be on ebay after i fix limp mode and install back it my 1st TCM. ( TAG) Memphis. Part changers. )

pyramidhvacr

Auto Zone has a code reader may not read star system but it does reset miner codes. (Actron CP9180 AutoScanner Plus Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability and O2 Monitor Test for OBDII Vehicles)
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9180-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Capability/dp/B000KG8KB0after
2 time to (TAG) 2 at dealer. Today changed air filter (autozone $20.00 ) (Napa had fuel filter $59.00) used 2 penny over line close with vice grips not to tight please. Not to lose prime.
Change both got rid of a fue codes. Still have P0715 so i pull the valve body to remove a warranty part (ELECTROHYDRAULIC UNIT) photo here of what to check for wicking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEWLEaEH09U

Top Bottom