Tim / Sprinter Pit Stop San Diego

eranrund

Hello friends!

I'm looking to join the community and in the market for a Sprinter. My budget is ~$10K.
I ran into a guy named Tim who runs a Sprinter shop in San Diego and has a bunch of them in stock: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/sprinter-van-any-years-and/6375867201.html
After seeing another Sprinter I was briefly considering discussed here (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60621) I figured I should check if you have anything to say about this person?

I live in San Francisco so it's an expensive hassle to fly to San Diego to look at those vehicles. Unfortunately at the moment there doesn't seem to be any good deals around here and I am eager to start building!

Thanks!

ewerdna

I worked with Tim before. There was a private sale sprinter in san diego that I was interested in but didn't really know the value or pitfalls in sprinters. Tim did the inspection for me and told me about the issues. He was very friendly and seemed knowledgeable. I can't remember if I paid $100 or $200 for the inspection. I visited his shop and it looks like he works with a lot of sprinters. I see his for sale every now and then on craigslist. I would recommend him.

eranrund

I ended up buying a 256k miles 2005 Sprinter from him. Guy seems legit. Vehicle was in good shape as far as my mechanic friend could tell. Minus some wheel/steering alignment issues it drives like what I'd expect, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Small things aren't working properly (door locks mechanism is the most annoying one) but that's to be expected from a vehicle that is 13 years old, I guess. Also, it does not have AC. Apparently that's a thing with these ex-FedEx vehicles. I debated for a while and decided I can live with this for now as this is my first leap into this adventure world and I wanted an affordable vehicle to toy with.
Check engine light turned on during my journey from San Diego back to SF but no noticeable symptoms. Will try a generic OBD2 scanner or take it to auto-zone and send Tim the codes as he requested (he gave me a 30 days warranty on engine and transmission).

Top Bottom