Front SwayBar Repair...

Fredb

So, one of the links on the front swaybar is broken.

OK... so not a huge issue, except that I cannot find a matching part from Mercedes.

Does anyone know whether the swaybar is some aftermarket, third party part or is there something otherwise unique about the front swaybar that is installed on our vans?

Really, really frustrating. Should be a simple repair, but have gone through two rounds now with Mercedes parts and cannot find a matching piece.... ughhhh!!!!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Photographs?

If you can figure out how to post a photograph, please do (a couple would.be helpful, with direction).

For example, early Westies apparently had a standard REAR anti swaybar while most Westies had a heavier duty REAR anti swaybar. Some of the early Westies had an UpScale Auto heavy duty REAR anti sway bar installed.

Apparently, all Westies had a steel transverse spring in the FRONT while most Sprinters have a composite plastic transverse spring.

So, there may be differences in Westies.from the factory, between Westies and other Sprinters, between original Westies and aftermarket add-ons, etc.

Photographs will allow others to compare to what they have.

2. REAR Swaybar

Lots of discussion on our subforum re the proper replacement part for the bracket and bushing for the Heavy duty antisway bar on most Westies (the REAR heavy duty antisway bar is like the 3500 dual rear wheel bar but the bracket is like the 2500 single rear wheel so bushing has to be different).

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15221&highlight=Rear

3. Have not seen much discussion re a FRONT antisway bar on any forum.

Take a look at Europarts-SD.com below and their front stabilizer parts. Can also give Steve a call.

http://europarts-sd.com/mfg-subcat-item.asp?cID=107&scID=204

Notice that Europarts-SD.com has bushings for a 22mm and a heavy duty 25mm FRONT stabilizer bar--maybe related to a 2500 versus 3500 version.

Would be interesting to see if Westfalia also upgraded the front stabilizer like the rear stabilizer. If early Westies did not have a heqvy duty one and later Westies did, that'd be good info to know if wanted to improve handling in the wind.

4. Dodge Parts Diagram

https://www.dodgepartsonline.net/au...ension-cat/stabilizer-bar-and-components-scat

Please post whatever you find out. Thanks.

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Maybe some more technically proficient Westy owners can chime in. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Westy

Your photo (passenger side, front bumper view) looks similar to mine (different dirt, shadows, wear/tear?).

Could still be different thicknesses in swaybar?

The Westies did have a heavy duty suspension package, including different front transverse spring, heavy rear swaybar for most Westies, and ????

2. Europarts-SD.com and Dodge Diagrams of Front Swaybar

Your photo (and my Westy) front swaybar does NOT look like the diagrams for regular Sprinters, unless seeing diagrams incorrectly.

3. Broken or Missing Part?

What exact part are you looking for?

A..The rod with bushings at each end, 90 degrees offset? Like the photo of the new one which is not the same?

If the new one is not a fit, can it be disassembled and the end pieces used with the original rod?

B. The bracket (not in diagrams) which holds the currently unconnected lower end of that rod in photo?

4. Post on T1N Subforum

Maybe take some more photos and post on the T1N Subforum. Westy owners have gotten some good help there, including identifying some coolant hose part which does not show on parts diagrams.

Please post whatever you find. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fredb

OldWest,

Regarding #1 - that's the million dollar question... Per your comment #2, whatever I have (and sounds like what you have as well) is not the standard/stock 2500/3500 front swaybar.

Regarding #3, the part I'm looking for is 'A' (90 degree offset with minor bend and bushings/bolts built in). As you note B (to stabilizer bar itself) isn't in the picture.

The one you refer to as "new" is the one shown installed... just looks new because the mechanic cleaned it up to see if he could find any part number.

The problem is I can't find a new one that matches and the one on the left side broke... i.e. the bar broke and so suppose one could weld the ends to a new bar, but would need to match angles and dimensions of original exactly and would be concerned about the strength of any welds that were created.

Ughhh... Shouldn't be this complicated!!!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Might try three more things.

1. VIN

Did you use the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) with a Mercedes dealer? Sometimes, our special eqpt shows up on a VIN search.

2. Get the Vehicle Build Sheet

Take the vehicle build.sheet (at least one Westy owner posted their info) and maybe share the codes with a Mercedes dealer to track down info.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40575&highlight=Data

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=382552&postcount=44

Maybe these two items from data card???:

C45 H.D. FRONT AXLE STABILIZER
CE1 ANTI-ROLL SUSPENSION

3. James Cook Friends Forum

Besides the T1N subforum here, try posting in the James Cook Friends forum, subforum for James Cook to 2006. Post photos there. Maybe someone there might know.

http://forum.james-cook-freunde.de/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=14ef19261c2618a3e86b4d6206ea8718

Please keep us posted. What a hunt.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Alternative:

Replace with standard Sprinter front stabilizer bar???

If you can't get the right link or rod, will a standard or heavy duty (as described in Europarts-SD.com) front stabilizer bar fit (are there any other Westy modifications which prevent a standard one from fitting?)?

While replacing more parts and different sway bar, maybe not much difference especially if the new sway bar bushings described in service bulletin work better?

How much difference in thickness between the standard and the Westy?

Fredb

Took your advise and posted to the T1N forum here and to the James Cook forum... see what response I get.

I suppose I could replace the whole damn thing, but would prefer to figure out if I can't get the right part. If I don't get anything in response to the two posts referenced above, I'll probably take that route.

Thanks again for all of your help/research/suggestions.

Fredb

no response on either the T1N forum or the James Cook Forum.... can't believe I'm the only one that's encountered this issue.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Could be that everyone else has been lucky and no breakage. Here are some more ideas in your hunt.

1. TNeuer had a 4x4 conversion done on his Westy. I do not know if the conversion retained the front antisway bar. If not, maybe he might sell if he still has and if not, maybe the 4x4 converter might still have.

2. Aqua on T1N subforum suggested contacting the upfitter. You may get lucky with the Airstream Service Center in Ohio and/or Westfalia in Germany.

3. If anyone is going by Dr. A (Andy Bittenbinder), maybe someone could ask him to look at the front swaybar. He has worked on a lot of Westies and different Sprinters, and may have some info on our variation or a way to fix the link. (You could also call him but his limited available time is prioritized to emergencies.)

4. Same with Dennis at LindenEngineering in Colorado--may have info or a way to fix. He's worked on several Westies. Maybe a call to him.

5. The independent German shop which repairs Westies might also be a potential lead.

https://www.ermel-freizeitmobile.de/aktuelles/

Good luck hunting and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Fredb

Aqua Puttana... thanks for the post.

No luck so far, but haven't been spending time looking too hard the last few weeks... that time of year. Long and short, no one recognizes the part and so think I''m looking at finding an acceptable/compatible replacement. Perhaps the "Deeza" one you referred me to. A few folks have recommended "Moog" after market links, but suspect it will involve sending them the good one I have to match dimensions... Will keep this thread posted as I progress.

Fredb

Looks like I may have finally solved the mystery with the help of "Jarred" at the SprinterStore.

I shared the images of the part with Jarred. He commented that he showed his techs and they had never seen a 2004 with the sway bar going around the back of the cross member, as they usually go in front on older 2wd. He then reached out to his contact at the local Mercedes dealer and they guy responded with the attached photo and part # of 905-320-04-89 (left side... right side is 905-320-05-89). Soooo, it is a Mercedes part, albeit no longer available in the US.

I then scanned the internet for the part # and came up with a few sites in DE and UK that listed replacement parts that matched the number. I also reached out to a few of the online Mercedes parts providers and got a response from "Walter’s Mercedes Benz" in Riverside, who said the part can be ordered from Germany. I need to finalize, but I'm 99% certain it is the right part from the parts image, and, assuming Walt's comes through I may finally have the part.

Will post a final update once I get the part and get it installed (Fingers firmly crossed!!!)

Attachments

Lehman

The sprinterwestfalia.com website has the 2004 Sprinter Parts Manual available to download on the second from last posting page. The Manual shows the schematic of the parts you need but with different numbers than what you have mentioned in your last post. Good luck!

Fredb

So... to conclude this 'saga'. The part arrived (thanks to "Walter’s Mercedes Benz" in Riverside) and matched perfectly... was able to install myself.

Thanks to all those who contributed suggestions and advice in this thread, particularly "OldWest".

grozier

Confirming that these part numbers are correct. Over the years our van developed some knocking in the right front wheel, probably from rough road use and driving around on cobblestones looking for parking in Berlin. On a whim I disconnected one of the links and it went away! The ride was so supple around town that I considered leaving it off but then on the highway it was obvious why it was needed!

These "905" parts are designed for the 5-ton version of the Sprinter and match up with a stouter bar. The one I removed had about 2mm lateral play.

A little bit of jacking under the main crossmember with the steering all the way in both directions was enough to get them out and reinstall; the van can stay on the ground. Obviously if you have a very level driveway that will make the job easier.

I got the parts from eBay after cross-referencing the OEM numbers; they came in a few weeks from Lithuania.

As you can see, the part is not symmetrical (the little curve is either up or down) and I neglected to note the correct position but am not sure it matters too much. If one of you wants to take a look and I have it installed upside down, it is a 30-minute job to flip them.

Ted

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 9.40.17 PM.png2022-06-16 15.59.01.jpg2022-06-16 15.59.04.jpg2022-06-16 15.59.31.jpg2022-06-16 16.09.07.jpg

Top Bottom