Issues - ABS, ESP, Brake in limp mode 08 3500

BrandonPsrrish

Hi guys so Memorial Day weekend I had an issue where my ESP, ABS, Brake, Triangle warning lights would all come on at the same time. When this happened the transmission would lose communication and be stuck in whatever gear I was in.

Went to get it scanned and had output transmission speed sensor code, and ABS, codes.

Got under the van to check the connections on transmission sensors and unplugged and plugged back in. I thought the 13 or so pin round transmission speed sensor was loose so tightened it up and have not had an issue since.

Today pulled off the highway and the same thing happened. Only difference today was I washed the van.

So did water get in a wheel sensor or something?? Idk

Took it to a Diesel shop and they gave me codes:

2226 TCM DTC Ewm Can Message Fault
2210 ESM Can Message Missing
2227 Right Rear Wheel Speed Fault
2209 ABS Can Message Missing

The shop thinks for the lights to be coming on and off I have a bad ground or a bad circuit somewhere and they want to trace the wiring harness to isolate the issue.

I am open to that but the appointment is 4 days away.

Has anyone else had this issue and advice on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

08 Freightliner 3500 - Engine Model OM 642 LA CID 182

Link to a 9 sec video of the dash lights going on and off: https://drive.google.com/a/ridersur...MNdz2vkTfFw_yyZod7TmDYa6LHX/view?usp=drivesdk

lindenengineering

This is not uncommon and since the ABS system is to be found on numerous brands we have short cuts to diagnosis.

Let's look earlier in the week to a Landrover Ewok with the same issues & it has the same system.
The actual diagnosis is to look at scan LIVE DATA not just codes; codes are just the start .
The owner an avid DIY'r had changed the wheel speed sensor no fewer than 4 four times simply relying on codes alone. Cost was $700 lost!!!

Live date scan showed the wheel speed sensor in question was giving out an equivalent of the rig doing about 660,000 miles per hour!
Since the sensor socket is the same as Sprinter, we simply have a cheat overlay cable made up to connect the appropriate ABS channel to the defective sensor. An instant by pass.
Instantly the signal is normalized to zero, hence a harness issue.
In this case it was make up an overlay harness for a permanent fix, & not rip the harness to bits looking for a short.

Obviously then looking at wheel speed sensor activity in live data is the "key" to fixing your problem.
Hope this is helpful.
Dennis

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I am having trouble picturing the details of what Dennis is describing. Sounds like something worth building -- given the frequency of this failure mode. Could he or someone who understands what he is describing possibly provide a bit more detail?
Thanks.

lindenengineering

Simple
Take two lengths of #18 automotive wire, say one black one white.
String out two lengths that will go from the wheel speed sensor at the rear to the ABS module multi pin connector.
Solder in a socket at the one end that will connect to the wheel speed sensor.

Run the test harness to the ABS connector by taping it to the van body. Remove/cut original two wires in the harness at the multi pin connector for that sensor channel (+ve & -Ve) then insert your two tests leads and live scan test it then check its operation on a road test.
Dennis

BrandonPsrrish

Simple
Take two lengths of #18 automotive wire, say one black one white.
String out two lengths that will go from the wheel speed sensor at the rear to the ABS module multi pin connector.
Solder in a socket at the one end that will connect to the wheel speed sensor.

Run the test harness to the ABS connector by taping it to the van body. Remove/cut original two wires in the harness at the multi pin connector for that sensor channel (+ve & -Ve) then insert your two tests leads and live scan test it then check its operation on a road test.
Dennis
Thanks Dennis! Given the fact that it stopped doing it for 5 weeks, do you think it has to be acting up in order for the live scan results to show an issue?

BrandonPsrrish

Thanks Dennis! Given the fact that it stopped doing it for 5 weeks, do you think it has to be acting up in order for the live scan results to show an issue?
Update. Had a shop in Southern California find a bunch of bad grounds.. He was confident that was the issue. But it wasn't after 362 more miles the intermittent problem still exist. Also he did not want to entertain Dennis' idea. Either way I ordered an Icarsoft OBD II to get live data. The individual wheel speed sensors are simply going off and online. When this happens it takes the CDI offline too.

When I took the live data on just vehicle speed, the speed at 25mph would switch to 158mph when the ESP,ABS and Brake light would come on.

I had the issue happen coming out of Los Angeles and after an hour got back on the road and made it to Las Vegas. Currently at a Mercedes Sprinter dealer and I showed the tech Dennis's recommendation. Doesn't seem to want to do it or maybe Benz doesn't allow him to do that. Either he tested the circuits on everything connecting to the ESP module and he is getting out of range numbers on the ABS Sensors. He was thinking wiring harness issue at first, but he tested the harness and circuits to rule it out. He said everything points back to the ESP Module. But the ESP module isn't available, you have to buy the entire ABS unit that the ESP is attached too which is like $3400 they said.

Does this additional information help with any other thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Update.

In my case (after two minor and two major episodes and three sensor replacements) the MB dealer decided it was the ABS brick - specifically the computer element - that was bad. This is a fairly expensive part, mine was a warranty repair. Not sure how they arrived at that conclusion but it has been over 7K miles with no return.

BrandonPsrrish

In my case (after two minor and two major episodes and three sensor replacements) the MB dealer decided it was the ABS brick - specifically the computer element - that was bad. This is a fairly expensive part, mine was a warranty repair. Not sure how they arrived at that conclusion but it has been over 7K miles with no return.

Thanks Mike was this on your 2015 unit?

The tech today said he wants to try more testing before we replace that ABS Brick that has the EPS module with it.,, So maybe they are on to something here too. I would hate to spend $3000 on that part and it not be it though!

He also took out the fuses for the ESP Module and it's getting like 2-3 volts somehow, so he is trying to explore that as well and will check the circuits on the other 36 pins or however many there are.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Update. Had a shop in Southern California find a bunch of bad grounds.. He was confident that was the issue. But it wasn't after 362 more miles the intermittent problem still exist. Also he did not want to entertain Dennis' idea. Either way I ordered an Icarsoft OBD II to get live data. The individual wheel speed sensors are simply going off and online. When this happens it takes the CDI offline too.

When I took the live data on just vehicle speed, the speed at 25mph would switch to 158mph when the ESP,ABS and Brake light would come on.

I had the issue happen coming out of Los Angeles and after an hour got back on the road and made it to Las Vegas. Currently at a Mercedes Sprinter dealer and I showed the tech Dennis's recommendation. Doesn't seem to want to do it or maybe Benz doesn't allow him to do that. Either he tested the circuits on everything connecting to the ESP module and he is getting out of range numbers on the ABS Sensors. He was thinking wiring harness issue at first, but he tested the harness and circuits to rule it out. He said everything points back to the ESP Module. But the ESP module isn't available, you have to buy the entire ABS unit that the ESP is attached too which is like $3400 they said.

The dealers overreaction is understandable.
I can reference a BMW X5 that roiled in the shop with something similar.
We started looking for a short.
The task was a bit daunting since harness ran from the back (trunk area) through the vehicle interior , up under the dash and out into the engine bay. Essentially the same set up as as
a Sprinter .
Pursuing a hunch, we opened the harness in the engine bay to find a very small pinhole short and it looked like a brown freckle on a white wire.
The actual fix was easy but it took us about 8 hours to find it!

Speaking to a fellow tech at the local BMW dealer , he knew of the issue and we discussed the fix! A pause for appreciation--then !!!
His retort was we would never do that its a new harness every time.
$8500 (Yikes) is the usual dealer charge out ticket.
Knowing where to look our charge out these days is $500 tops.
Dennis

BrandonPsrrish

The dealers overreaction is understandable.
I can reference a BMW X5 that roiled in the shop with something similar.
We started looking for a short.
The task was a bit daunting since harness ran from the back (trunk area) through the vehicle interior , up under the dash and out into the engine bay. Essentially the same set up as as
a Sprinter .
Pursuing a hunch, we opened the harness in the engine bay to find a very small pinhole short and it looked like a brown freckle on a white wire.
The actual fix was easy but it took us about 8 hours to find it!

Speaking to a fellow tech at the local BMW dealer , he knew of the issue and we discussed the fix! A pause for appreciation--then !!!
His retort was we would never do that its a new harness every time.
$8500 (Yikes) is the usual dealer charge out ticket.
Knowing where to look our charge out these days is $500 tops.
Dennis
So that gave me another thought... so on the wiring diagram the tech said the items on the attached list were tied to the ESP system. And one of the circuits was for the rear door sensor I think. The first one on the left in the pic is that circuit...

Anyhow the passenger side rear door the wiring got damaged in a fire by the previous owner so a new harness was added to remove the damaged section. I will have him check that tomorrow too.

Thanks again for your help!

UPDATE: Sprinter tech said the Yaw Rate Sensor needs it's own ground and that's what was sending 2-3 volts back to the ESP. He also found some documentation suporting this, so fingers crossed!

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom