Condensation while sleeping

HappyFamilyVan

Captain Ahab
This past week we had our first overnight experience in the Sprinter. All seven of us plus the dog slept in the Sprinter. It was an OK sleep, but for 4 mornings straight, the windows and any exposed inside metal was drenched in condensation, I dried it off and let the Sprinter air out. Any issue with all this condensation on the inside? I left the Sunroof open on the last 2 nights…helped a little…but not a whole lot. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what have you done to prevent? Thanks.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
This past week we had our first overnight experience in the Sprinter. All seven of us plus the dog slept in the Sprinter. It was an OK sleep, but for 4 mornings straight, the windows and any exposed inside metal was drenched in condensation, I dried it off and let the Sprinter air out. Any issue with all this condensation on the inside? I left the Sunroof open on the last 2 nights…helped a little…but not a whole lot. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what have you done to prevent? Thanks.
Found that one out when a young lad :lol:Insulate with wool and you'll never ever get condensation ever.
Richard

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Hey HappyFamilyVan, how bout a Mini Dehumidifier?

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ADS-500.htm

glasseye

That's why vapour barriers are so important when insulating. Seven people (and a dog! :cheers:) produce a lot of water overnight.

Happy

Hey HappyFamilyVan, how bout a Mini Dehumidifier?

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ADS-500.htm
I have purchased one of these peltier dehumidifiers for this purpose but haven't had a chance to use it overnight yet. It seems
to burn a lot of battery power and I haven't had time yet to make a 12v power cord for it, I suspect that the inverter-->wall wall wart -> dehumidifier is the source of the power draw and straight 12v should work much better.

kmessinger

I have slept in travel trailers, class A's, class C's, Eurovans, and now a Sprinter for years. Condensation buildup is caused by not enough air movement. You will get the same thing cooking in your Sprinter with all the windows closed.

Bundle up in a good sleeping bag and crack open some windows. A roof vent helps a lot also.

AFAIK, that is the only way to avoid condensation. Tent users have the same problem.

Regards,

Keith

seans

I have experienced this, ran some tests, and asked people in the forum. I'm still working on a definitive solution. Here's what I have found so far:

• I got condensation behind panels, behind curtains, near the van's rear door openings, and even inside the tail light lenses. It dripped from above the side windows when I moved the van.
  • I used a room dehumidifier in a closed van and it did no good. Only a little bit of water collected in the humidifer and much collected in the van - the van's cold surfaces worked much better as a dehumidifier.
  • Some people who have interior Espar heaters reported that when they open their roof vents, they don't get condensation.
  • A test where I idled the van all night with the heater and AC on and the fan on low drawing in outside air resulted in no condensation. It was very cold but the outdoor humidity may have been low.

I think the key is to keep forcing fresh air into the van to push out air that has collected moisture. I am wary about creating moisture barriers because of posts where others have said that a breach or slow absorption can lead to moisture collection. Since there are many places where you can't insulate or place a barrier, I think that moisture elimination is the only way out, and hope it is possible.

My next test (after I install a CO and fire detector) is to run only the heater and the fan on low while idling all night when it is very cold and wet. If no condensation is found, then the next step will be to implement the "heater booster switch" mod found elsewhere in the forum, with changes to support a thermostat and run off a battery bank, so I don't have to keep the engine on. If that works, I'll try putting an Espar in the back. I'm not ready to do that yet, though, since I don't have the final placement of other stuff in the van.

Others with an Espar in the back have reported no condensation if they open their vents. You might want to get a confirmation on that, and see if the Espar is sucking fresh air in from outside. If that's something you're ready to do, it might work for you.

With seven people in your van, you may have to take more drastic measures (more air flow, more heat, etc.)

bikergar

I agree with the previous posts. You need some form of cross ventilation with the exit on or near the roof of the RV. Of course in the winter this means significant heat loss. If you have an RV style roof air and electric available try running the fan on low (the compressor will not run), crack a window, and crack your roof vent.

gary

bladerunner

Only done one road trip so far..........no prob.:thumbup:

Have a openable roof vent approx 300 x 300 square with a wind up flap/lid which I keep open and the driver and passenger door windows are left open 25mm to allow for circulation.

Don't know if that is any help to anybody.................besides our trip was in summer and it maybe a different ballgame in winter.:idunno:

:cheers:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Bundle up in a good sleeping bag and crack open some windows. A roof vent helps a lot also.

AFAIK, that is the only way to avoid condensation. Tent users have the same problem.
+1. You either sleep with a cold face or condensation will build up in the van.

Some newer tents have a fly over a mesh design, separated about 2 inches. Condensation still builds, but it's on the fly side and not on the mesh. If you can build a fly that drapes over the Sprinter, separated by two inches of air space, I think you may avoid the dreaded interior condensation. :smilewink:

I bet you it was a lot warmer inside with all those fire breathing sleepyheads inside the van. :smirk:

boardster

Like everything else, it's all a trade-off.
If you don't worry about the potential corrosion, etc, the higher humidity while you sleep is good for you. Micro and larger tears in you and your family's mucous membranes is where cold viruses enter, and the more moist you keep these areas the less likely you are to catch a cold.
Same with your house, nobody wants moisture dripping all over, but if mold is controlled, 40% humidity is ideal for health. Most windows will sweat when it's 0 degrees outside yet 40% humidity inside, but drier than that and there are health consequences.
Dry off the interior with a towel in the morning and just remember that the high humidity is good for your family and dog, as long as you keep mold and corrosion under control.

Last edited:

unik

1) total insulation of open metal parts, and surly windows too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JRA6OQX1vk

2) air flow from outside + some circulation of air inside like a blow-fan.

On mine it is only botom of slicy-door not insulated, but I do have circulation fan on a door step installed

bill keitel

Hey there happy fam,

We've spent 180 days in our sprinter (Great West). In colder weather we encounter this concern. Adding some outside air is the most effective way to stop moisture buildup.

If you are accomodating a whopping "7" endothermic and non-bradymetabolic creatures.......you've got heat & moisture buildup problem.

I can't see a resolution to this, unless you get some outside air!

Either way, have fun and enjoy the adventure.

Billkeitel

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Uncle Unik gave one key for airflow distribution
If glass is plain or tinted !added dynamic layers of film prevent the heat loos or migration of cold transferring into the van as screen tins are 95% effective heat barriers in their own right
You guys obvoiusly have never learnt the benifit of wool insulation as it has one main advantage over any synthetic insulator especially if it's used as a carpet rather than a Batt/ type insulator.
Wool absorbs carbon dioxide any excess humidity via moisture either man-made or natural absorbs all excess moisture as wool is a natural breathing product via it's fiber content.
Synthetics trap and block fibers with fatty solutes
Most condensation is going to accumulate at A floor level ,B Glassed ears,C roof surfaces,wool circulates fresh air as it's as effective as a Heppa filter in trapping micron contaminates,cleaning it and redistributing cleaner air as wool contains no artificial chemicals
Richard

ches

I think the advice to crack the window(s) is good. The two big problems are: (1) moisture starting rust behind paneling as alluded to above, and (2) moisture growing dangerous molds on any materials with cellulose ( wood paneling ). Fresh air is very important when sleeping.

Top Bottom