glow plug confusion

surpasspro

Ok, so I bought the latest module and replaced it today. I have already replaced glow plug #1,2 &4) These were the codes I was getting before the repair:

I'm having a glow plug issue and got the following code on my ODB2 code reader:
P0672 - Cylinder 2 glow plug circuit
P0671 - Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit
P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A"

Brought it to the MB dealer and they got codes:
1482-001: PREGLOW FAULT AT LEAST ONE OF GLOWPLUGS HAS A SHORT CIRCUIT
2133-001: COMP R17 GLOW PLUG IS FAULTY, SHORT CIRCUIT TO POSITIVE
2134-001: COMP R16 GLOW PLUG IS FAULTY, SHORT CIRCUIT TO POSITIVE

AFTER the repair p0671/p0380 went away, but now I got a new one:

P0675 - Cylinder 5 Glog Plug Circuit.
P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A"

- Question 1: Why am I getting a new code after the relay replacement and why didn't it show up earlier with the others?
- Question 2: The MB Code 2133 (r17) and 2134 (r16) - which cyclinders do they correspond to?
- Questions 3: Is the generice (P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A") code the same as the MB (1482-001: PREGLOW FAULT AT LEAST ONE OF GLOWPLUGS HAS A SHORT CIRCUIT) code?

Thanks

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I had codes for three bad plugs, so replaced all five GPs at 160,000 miles, but I have since wondered if the dtc’s took into account that cylinder #5 is connected to module pin #1? I had my module open but missed that chance to find out, sadly, but given the existence of the Fuse Test etc. I suspect the GP module’s DTCs are still imprecise? I do believe the module when it says “something” is wrong... but not necessarily “what” it says is wrong.

GP plug pinouts are:
Pin
1 to Cyl 5
2 to Cyl 4
3 to Cyl 3
4 to Cyl 2
5 to Cyl 1
6 to (empty)

-dave

Last edited:

Nautamaran

I believe the pins, when viewed from the circuit board side, are
1-2-3
4-5-6
(I recall there being pin numbers embossed inside the socket housing?)

Pin 6 is unused, so I’d say you’ve blown circuits 1,3, and 4, which would be cylinders 2,3, and 5.
(cylinder 5 being aft, nearest the firewall)

-dave

Attachments

Last edited:

surpasspro

Thanks Nautamaran… I already replace glow plug 1,2 & 4. The MB shop told me #4 was bad specifically, so go figure. I'll have to have 3 & 5 now replaced.

Should the code (P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A") go away once those last two are done or is that code for something else glow plug related?

Nautamaran

I saw MB had diagnosed GP #4... I wonder if they measured Pin #4?
(exactly why I went ahead and did all five of mine...)
I repaired the blown links in my module with micro fuses and #12 wire, cleared ECM’s stored codes, and all was well.
My guess is the P0380 is being caused by 3&5 being bad?

Good luck,

-dave

surpasspro

So, it sounds like I have only 3 working glow plugs right now. I plan on using the van this weekend and it looks like it may hit a low of 40 degrees. Do you think I'll have trouble starting the vehicle in that temp and # of glow plugs?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
40F should start without plugs unless your engine is really worn. With three it should be fine unless your battery is nearly gone. If you experience trouble, put some power service additive in. It is a cetane booster, and can make a noticeable difference in cold weather starting.

Top Bottom