Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #31
4wheeldog

Default Re: How long can a v6 be left idling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Vehicles designed for ESS usually have a host of modifications to support the additional stress, much beefier starter, larger alternator and battery (or a secondary battery), transmissions designed to either store or acquire adequate hydraulic pressure quickly so they operate immediately after a restart, sometimes modifications to the engine oiling system, etc. Without these mods ESS would probably be very hard on the engine but with them it probably won't have any effect on service life, or at least that's the design intent.

As to how much it really save in terms of fuel consumption and emissions, I guess that depends. From data I've seen it can be marginally worthwhile in urban driving (perhaps up to a MPG if there is a lot of beep-and-creep) to very little benefit in rural environs. But that's why there is (usually) a switch, I usually leave it on in traffic where I would otherwise idle 3 minutes, move 1/20 mile to another stoplight and wait another 3 minutes, etc., I mean, the vehicle is designed for it so why not take the savings in fuel/emissions even if it is small. I usually disable in rural driving where it tends to be of negligible benefit and more trouble than it's worth.

Not really applicable to a Sprinter, but just FWIW.
I keep my vehicles well tuned, and I have never had a problem.
Once an engine is fully warmed, it really is not stressful on the battery or starter.
The starter in my 4runner had 280k miles on it. Battery is 8 years old.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #32
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldog View Post
I keep my vehicles well tuned, and I have never had a problem.
Once an engine is fully warmed, it really is not stressful on the battery or starter.
The starter in my 4runner had 280k miles on it. Battery is 8 years old.
By a real ESS system I mean a system designed to start the vehicle 50 times per day vs 3-4, power HVAC and accessories on a consistent basis even at a high duty cycle (as would be experienced in traffic where the engine may be stopped almost as often as it is running), expect to have the vehicle ready for acceleration in hundreds of milliseconds vs seconds when a light turns green, be fully automatic with no intervention from the driver, etc. You can always turn off a conventional vehicle and re-start it but this isn't really ESS and wouldn't be at all practical for most drivers, nor would I expect it would be a very good idea to subject most vehicles to that kind of regimen on a consistent basis, and certainly not a Sprinter.

Not that shutting it down manually if you are going to be stopped for a while (such as during a construction wait) isn't a bad idea, but I don't know about trying to do it at every stoplight.

Last edited by smiller; 01-15-2020 at 08:31 PM.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #33
Ferrets

I believe the European sprinters come with ESS standard. Its in the manual - you can enable/disable with button located right beneath the regular round start button. On cars I rented over there, I found that ESS comes in particularly handy when driving stick - if you stall it, press down the clutch and it starts right back up. It will also restart instantly when you lift your foot off the brake - and if the battery goes low. I liked it once I got used to it. When I took a look under my VS30 - it looks like there's an empty spot on bell housing for another starter???

While I don't shut off vehicles at traffic lights, I regularly put them in neutral. While I was waiting for the ferry picking up the new sprinter, I shut the engine off. Not too worried about idling - if I do, or do a bunch of short trips - I'll take it on the highway and clear it out. The idling you don't want is hours long idling. The manual says - don't bother warming it up - driving it is quickest way to warm up. I already have a D2 for the cabin but thinking I'm installing a clone pre-heater booster - for engine preheat and water. I also question if the heated windshield function works with the engine off.
Ferrets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #34
danski0224

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralimited57 View Post
A ScanGauge II can be programmed to show the regen temperature so you know exactly when it's regenerating and when the cycle completes.
I ordered one and got the initial setup done.

The fancy functions are in the "X-Gauge" parameters, and the codes need to be taken from the Scan Gauge website and then manually entered into the gauge (4 fields of parameters for each X-Gauge). DPF/DEF and more are not part of the base programming.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:10 AM   #35
A_D7Sprinter

What is the correct kind of engine oil to use for a 2016 Mercedes-Benz sprinter passenger 2500 4 x 4 144 inch high top? We have owned ours for roughly 2 months and we are coming up on a servicing. Is it cheaper to do it yourself or just go ahead and have the dealer do it?
A_D7Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #36
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Oil should meet Mercedes spec 229.51 or 229.52. DO NOT skimp on this.

There are those of us who prefer to do oil changes ourselves, and some who prefer to let the dealer do it. There are two service schedules, A and B, which alternate. Do a search for these on this forum -- tons of info.

Expect dealer prices to be anywhere from $800 to $1200, depending on which service, A or B, and which dealer. (I know, "OUCH!" and "Holy crap!!") A fair bit of that cost is the oil, which ain't cheap, and keep in mind it takes between 12 and 13 quarts/liters of this stuff.

So it's cheaper --in some cases by far-- to do it yourself, but keep in mind that there are quite a few "gotchas" that can end up as costly repairs if the DIY-er screws up. Study up!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #37
danski0224

One dealer in my area will change the oil for way less than 800 bucks.

Look at what the A or B service calls for. I haven't had a problem limiting the work to what I've asked to be done. I certainly wouldn't bring any vehicle in for a "general service" of any type and just pay the bill... but I realize that some people are able and willing to do just that.

The dealer I go to charges around 225 for an oil change. For that price, they wash the van and top off the DEF and I don't have to deal with 13 quarts of used oil. I also have a service record showing regular oil changes. Yes, I can change the oil on my Sprinter myself, but just the service record alone is worth it.

ALL dealers aren't bad for service.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #38
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,530 Times in 3,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski0224 View Post
One dealer in my area will change the oil for way less than 800 bucks.

Look at what the A or B service calls for. I haven't had a problem limiting the work to what I've asked to be done. I certainly wouldn't bring any vehicle in for a "general service" of any type and just pay the bill... but I realize that some people are able and willing to do just that.

The dealer I go to charges around 225 for an oil change. For that price, they wash the van and top off the DEF and I don't have to deal with 13 quarts of used oil. I also have a service record showing regular oil changes. Yes, I can change the oil on my Sprinter myself, but just the service record alone is worth it.

ALL dealers aren't bad for service.
How do you know they used the correct spec oil or even aware to use the correct spec oil? Did they change the oil filter element. Did the tech over-torque and strip the oil drain plug? What about oil spillage, my main peeve. Nothing chaps my hide than spilled oil making a huge mess in da engine compartment. The fact is, you can't verify and place trust in those who could give a rat's patootie about you or your vehicle.

Not all service departments provide excellent service.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #39
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,868 Times in 5,523 Posts

Bob
This "sounds" like you are a Jiffy Lube man or maybe a Monkey Greaser.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
danski0224 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #40
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,887 Posts

I think I saw a thread about the best oil to use a while back, I'll see if I can find it.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote