Is it a lemon?

dling13

So, long story short, received my dream VS30 4x4 sprinter after the expected long wait period from Germany, delivered 12/30/2019.

Since then, I have had starting issues with it being in the shop 43 of the last 55 days since I've taken possession of it.

Thinking this would be an easy fix as it's a new vehicle, I've met with a local upfitter and put a deposit down to start the build, not needing the van as he has many for mock-ups.

As I continue with it in the shop and no end in sight, I am losing faith in MB. It easily meets criteria for the lemon law (3 repair attempts for the same problem and > 30 days for service for same issue) but ultimately i'm not wanting a refund as I've already waited this long to actually get a build and the chance of getting a similar replacement is unlikely....

This has been complicated by Mercedes not offering any type of courtesy vehicle during this period or real support for it. Only repairs that were made included a replaced starter. Kind of sucks having your "adventure" vehicle be the most untrustworthy vehicle in the fleet that has now left me stranded multiple times.

Thoughts? What would you do?

Attachments

Onefin

Have them buy it back and buy a different one....4x4 sprinters are all over the dealer lots right now.
Some Mb dealers aren’t that great in the sprinter service department and corporate MBUSA sucks as far as taking care of customers with issues well enough to make them confident in the brand.

Last edited:

Tripol

I’d second getting another one. I was surprised to see so many 4x4s (5 or 6 of them) at a local dealer recently-different colors etc also. This was in Charlotte NC- still it might be indicative of more 4x4s available.

showkey

45 days down.......In most states qualifies for “lemon law” or “breech of warranty”........but.......MB or any manufacturer is not going out of their way to buy it back.

You need to get serious about your concerns.......lawyer etc might be required, that going to take a long time to settle. Lawyers like breach of warranty........their costs and fees are paid by the manufacture in settlement buyback.

dling13

45 days down.......In most states qualifies for “lemon law” or “breech of warranty”........but.......MB or any manufacturer is not going out of their way to buy it back.

You need to get serious about your concerns.......lawyer etc might be required, that going to take a long time to settle. Lawyers like breach of warranty........their costs and fees are paid by the manufacture in settlement buyback.
Appreciate the info. Obviously not wanting to go this route but I'll see how they respond tomorrow after e-mailing the MB rep.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Agree it is time to talk to a lemon-law lawyer. As implied above, they are numerous and free.

Note that your options aren't all-or-none. Many lemon law cases end in cash settlements rather than buy-backs. Happened to me once. Getting the vehicle working eventually (which can't be THAT hard) plus a fat check might be an attractive option.

Also, if you haven't done so already, be sure to escalate to MB corporate (there is a customer support number to call). They can often grease the skids when a dealer is being unreasonable.

So, long story short, received my dream VS30 4x4 sprinter after the expected long wait period from Germany, delivered 12/30/2019.

Since then, I have had starting issues with it being in the shop 43 of the last 55 days since I've taken possession of it.

Thinking this would be an easy fix as it's a new vehicle, I've met with a local upfitter and put a deposit down to start the build, not needing the van as he has many for mock-ups.

As I continue with it in the shop and no end in sight, I am losing faith in MB. It easily meets criteria for the lemon law (3 repair attempts for the same problem and > 30 days for service for same issue) but ultimately i'm not wanting a refund as I've already waited this long to actually get a build and the chance of getting a similar replacement is unlikely....

This has been complicated by Mercedes not offering any type of courtesy vehicle during this period or real support for it. Only repairs that were made included a replaced starter. Kind of sucks having your "adventure" vehicle be the most untrustworthy vehicle in the fleet that has now left me stranded multiple times.

Thoughts? What would you do?
Have they looked at the EIS module. Check the thread below if you haven't already.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83054

Top Bottom