The DEF fairy paid me a visit

D

Deleted member 50714

I don't have a DEF gauge. I always fill at the first DEF warning (1.7 gal remaining) and have never come close to the "dreaded countdown" (0.8 gal remaining). I get about 2800 mpg on DEF. I refuel about every 300 miles. That works out to a "top off" of 14 ounces at every fuel stop. Seems unnecessary.
I use almost a full bottle (1/2 gallon) every fill-up. Don't know how many miles. You have a larger tank. Unnecessary perhaps but cheaper and less annoying than the dreaded countdown.

Attachments

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
My recommendation to avoid dreaded countdown is top-off DEF reservoir at every fuel fill up. Overkill perhaps but better than spending a whole pile of money.
My 2018 uses more DEF than earlier models. It uses just about a gallon every 1000 miles.
So I fill it every third fuel stop. I bought the screw on bottles you recommended, and like the no drip process, as well as easy lifting so well that I bought more, so I can put a whole 2.5 gallon jug into them at home.
Or on the road......But 6 bottles is 3000 miles, plus another 1000 to get home after the last fillup, so that will take care of most trips.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
Actually, my DEF tanks is only 3.2 gallons, the smallest. If you fill up at about 300 miles, you use almost 5X as much DEF as I do. I wonder why the difference is that great.

I use almost a full bottle (1/2 gallon) every fill-up. Don't know how many miles. You have a larger tank. Unnecessary perhaps but cheaper and less annoying than the dreaded countdown.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
I do something similar. I put 1 gallon from a Walmart (or other) 2.5 gal container into an empty 1 gal container. Then at the first DEF warning, I can add either 1 gal or 1.5 gal into the DEF tank without overfilling, spilling. This happens every 2800 or 4200 miles depending on whether I previously added 1 gal or 1.5 gal. I can fairly accurately predict when I will need to add DEF.

My 2018 uses more DEF than earlier models. It uses just about a gallon every 1000 miles.
So I fill it every third fuel stop. I bought the screw on bottles you recommended, and like the no drip process, as well as easy lifting so well that I bought more, so I can put a whole 2.5 gallon jug into them at home.
Or on the road......But 6 bottles is 3000 miles, plus another 1000 to get home after the last fillup, so that will take care of most trips.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I do something similar. I put 1 gallon from a Walmart (or other) 2.5 gal container into an empty 1 gal container. Then at the first DEF warning, I can add either 1 gal or 1.5 gal into the DEF tank without overfilling, spilling. This happens every 2800 or 4200 miles depending on whether I previously added 1 gal or 1.5 gal. I can fairly accurately predict when I will need to add DEF.
I have been using 1 gallon jugs up until now. But after using the 1/2 gallon German screw on bottles recommended by Bobnoxious, I am a convert. Absolutely drip free, guaranteed full tank.
Here they are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGOLZ2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

D

Deleted member 50714

Actually, my DEF tanks is only 3.2 gallons, the smallest. If you fill up at about 300 miles, you use almost 5X as much DEF as I do. I wonder why the difference is that great.
300 miles? I never said 300 miles. I am guessing closer to 1/2 gallon per 1,000 miles is my consumption. I drive my Sprinter (Bug-out Vehicle) once a week on Monday's and don't allow fuel to drop below 3/4. Unless of course on trips, then refuel at 1/4.

Bug-out vehicle? We live not far from downtown Los Angeles populated with more have-nots than have and most are uneducated immigrant youths. when SHTF, we are prepared to evacuate immediately. No, I am not a crazed prepper hoarding pile of supplies. Just enough food and water to last a month. What's the Boy Scout motto? I digress.

:hug:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Re: I did not know about DEF gauge

I have not seen a def gauge on my 2017 Sprinter.
Where to look?
Go through the "Pages" in the instrument nacelle. It is different between having the steering wheel buttons, and not having them. It is not a full time readout, unless you select for it everytime you start the van.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
You said "I use almost a full bottle (1/2 gallon) every fill-up." I guessed a fill-up to b about 300 miles. 25 gal tank, 16 mpg, a fill-up can't be much more than 400 miles.

1/2 gal/1000 miles sounds more like it. I get about 2800 mpg.

300 miles? I never said 300 miles. I am guessing closer to 1/2 gallon per 1,000 miles is my consumption. I drive my Sprinter (Bug-out Vehicle) once a week on Monday's and don't allow fuel to drop below 3/4. Unless of course on trips, then refuel at 1/4.

Bug-out vehicle? We live not far from downtown Los Angeles populated with more have-nots than have and most are uneducated immigrant youths. when SHTF, we are prepared to evacuate immediately. No, I am not a crazed prepper hoarding pile of supplies. Just enough food and water to last a month. What's the Boy Scout motto? I digress.

:hug:

Davydd

We had a full DEF tank and on our way south still in -15 degree temperatures driving down the freeway in Minnesota. The check engine light came on but no message as to the reason why. It went off when we encountered above freezing weather. Freezing DEF? I don't know. We had both NOX censors replaced recently.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Convenient, but the cost is more than 5X the cost per gallon of a 2.5 gal jug from Walmart (~$10).

QUOTE=4wheeldog;736788]I have been using 1 gallon jugs up until now. But after using the 1/2 gallon German screw on bottles recommended by Bobnoxious, I am a convert. Absolutely drip free, guaranteed full tank.
Here they are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGOLZ2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/QUOTE]

They are refillable. Buy once and done. I refill from a 2.5 gallon bladder in a box.

Top Bottom