New T1N owner need some guidance.

bored

If you ever look over at the conversion threads you probably know that I bought a T1N that I plan on converting.

I have a few questions...

What is this and how do I remove it? I could rip it out but figured if I could safely remove it I could sell it to someone in need.

Because I bought the Van out of state I need to take the Van into the DMV for inspection.

There seems to be something missing in the engine compartment and I thought it was a rubber cover that had just fallen off but I looked online and looks like a black and red wire come out from there.

What is it?

Worried I will fail smog or inspection unless I can cover that hole.

The car will be parked for extended periods of time.

Never owned a diesel and I want to make sure the engine keeps running smoothly. Any other car and I would just let it idle for a bit and kick the rpms up for a bit.

Anyone have any advice or does it need to get on the freeway and run.

Attachments

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
What is this and how do I remove it? I could rip it out but figured if I could safely remove it I could sell it to someone in need.

There used to be a headliner over the cab rather than just the bare sheet metal you have now. There was an air gap between the headliner and the metal, and you could reach a hand in the gap on either side. That black rubber piece would have filled that gap. Maybe acted as a noise/temp/debris insulation/cover. I've never seen one but its purely an aesthetic thing as far as I can tell. Without your headliner, it serves no purpose. As far as removal, if it has no value to you, no need to be overly gentle, eh?

Cheers,
Dan

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
That foam headliner support does extend a good way further forward behind the cab headliner section. Don't damage the headliner ripping the foam out. I would use a long blade knife to cut it flush with the remaining headliner then just pull off the rear section of the foam. It's only held on with small "buttons" of the foam on the backside.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I can be but amused at how some people evidently park their Sprinters upside down, or pointed at the sky (keeps the rear doors from being opened).

I'll try to check out "the hole" tomorrow (in the daylight)

--dick

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I was trying to check my roof seams for leaks, but the water kept draining off. This seemed the most direct solution.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Here are the two holes on the firewall in that area....

...all they have in/on them are rubber plugs.

PluggedHole.jpg

--dick

bored

A pic of what’s under the cab headliner...
Note that the foam also holds the top of the B-pillar trim from rattling.

-dave
So you are keeping yours in during the conversion.

I will have to consider that. Thank you.

Putting the van upside down is brilliant and will make installing the roof insulation so much easier.
:laughing:

Top Bottom