normal life expectancy of stock turbo

pardon if this has been covered already but can't use search function.
Wondering what options for a turbo rebuild are out there, and if it is even needed. 2004, 300k, some oil blow thru pressure hoses, nothing crazy. Been trying to figure out why temperatures are running higher that what i remember.
Installed new water pump, new thermostat and radiator all aftermarket, no difference. Cooling fan electric, and crank fan both work, but come on close to overheat redness.
Im thinking the temperature gauge is messed up.
Is there a spot point a temp gun to acurately check besides radiator hose?
Does burning oil blow thru make the motor run hotter?
Other areas to check, thanks in advance

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Oil in intake hoses is normal.

You said "crank fan" by which I'm assuming you mean the clutched and belt driven fan at front of water pump? They fail, and have a big impact on engine cooling. How do you know the clutch is good? Did you get the engine up to a hot temp (~200°F+) and try to stop the fan with a rolled up piece of cardboard? Do you hear a significant increase in fan noise once the temp reads above 195°F or so? When the water pump was replaced was the fan/viscous clutch kept in the upright position so as not to potentially leak its fluid and render it more or less useless?

Since the other stuff is replaced but (at least by your description) not the viscous clutch that's my first culprit. Barring that I'd be considering a thorough coolant flush with some type of cleaner. Possible blocked passages?

Unless the temp gauge is acting erratic it's the absolute last thing I'd suspect. Usually it's just trying to tell you something is wrong. Does it move consistently up into the red?

Turbo is the wrong tree to bark at imo...

markxengineering

No
I agree with above posters- the turbo is unrelated to the overheating, and you would see oil consumption increase if the turbo was leaking too much (as an unrelated problem), and that's unlikely.

try to stop the fan with a rolled up piece of cardboard?
I hadn't heard of that one... does it work? I'd be scared of damaging the fan blades. But something like this would be my first check as well.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
You can read the true engine water temperature through the OBD port. I believe it is a very common signal so any cheap OBD reader should be able to read it.

You also say you fitted an aftermarket radiator, what make/brand did you fit as Dennis, amongst others, have warned about poor performance of some aftermarket parts.

Keith.

cian128

pardon if this has been covered already but can't use search function.
Wondering what options for a turbo rebuild are out there, and if it is even needed. 2004, 300k, some oil blow thru pressure hoses, nothing crazy. Been trying to figure out why temperatures are running higher that what i remember.
Installed new water pump, new thermostat and radiator all aftermarket, no difference. Cooling fan electric, and crank fan both work, but come on close to overheat redness.
Is there a spot point a temp gun to acurately check besides radiator hose?
Other areas to check, thanks in advance
my temp gauge doesn't align exactly with the OBD temp, but it's close

180 on the dash is 185 on computer? something like that

thanks for the responses,
the obd temp check is a good one, ill have to verify with the scan gauge.
the clutched fan works on wax and is not spillable, it was replaced with a borg warner, pretty nice unit. Doubt its bad blows alotta air, and not ready to make confetti to test it... The radiator was cheeep like 35 dollar cheeeeep, after changing had similar temperature results except it didnt have a cracked overfill res like the og one.
oil consumption is pretty constant, 1/2 quart to a quart over 5000 mi. also, when i changed the thermostat everthing was clean on the inside, no corrosion, no nuthin.
Temp climbs as im climbing mountains in the summer thats when i start to stress and go slow, on the flats its fine or when im going 75+ it starts to heat up steadily.

Last edited:

markxengineering

$35 radiator is too cheap. That'd be the first thing I'd change after the basic things. Nissens or Hella.
At the same time, I'd do a coolant flush using one of the bottles you can buy at an auto parts store.

Basic things:
is coolant circulating? (does whole radiator get hot/ thermostat is working?)
is headgasket leaking? (bubbles in coolant, pressure burping out, obviously unlikely here if it's only happening in mountains or at high speed)
is the temp sensor wrong? (compare to another manual measurement- the OBD thing wouldn't rule out a bad sensor, only a bad gauge)
coolant level ok..

But my money is on inadequate radiator.

Top Bottom