Espar D2 fault code

russinthecascades

I installed my D2 with high altitude kit and Easystart Select controller. When turned it on I got power to the controller, but nothing else happen - no fan, no sounds from the fuel metering pump. I get a flashing code looks like "n 5 i", meaning first symbol 3 side of the digital 8 and the last is the lower right section looking something like an i.

The only fault code manual I can find has 3 number code such as 000, 004 no partial sections. Any advice?

Sdavis

2014 144 HT
I did not experience this exact error code, but I did have issues as a result of not completely insulating each of the un-used wires from the 10 wire bundle. Initially, I just bundled them together and taped them off. I would get an occasional 'no signal" error. Once I individually insulated each un-used wire, the error did not return.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
When the controller is turned on does it do a LCD test? If you enter the workshop menu, you can go to the LCD test function to see if all the segments work. When the controller powers on it should show INIT or similar. Does it do that? if not you likely have a faulty controller. I would double check the voltage at the control units red/brown wires just to be sure.

Help please!
Logged in to post this exact same plead for help about this exact same fault code and exact same symptoms with the, you guessed it, exact same equipment. D2 with altitude sensor, remote temp sensor, and easy start select controller. I get the "init" display then total silence and an "n5i" message . Did some searching and found a D2 fault code table that shows"005" as a "short circuit in control box, car alarm output" table says to disconnect connector S1/B1 at the heater says to check pin#15 which is not connected to any of the wires that end up in play for the install. Strange! Only thing I can add is that Ido not have an alarm.
Any help would me much appreciated.
Thanks, Gary

Gnarwhal

Same here this weekend while installing D2, HAK, and remote thermostat. That code I believe is a communications error according to the manual. The cause can be several things though. To start troubleshooting I took out the HAK and thermostat and it fired right up after 3 or 4 tries as the air in the fuel line purged. I re-installed just the HAK and got the generic “Err” code this time but the manual says that issue is on the heater side. Not sure if the 801 controller would help here but I would like to think so!

rollerbearing

Sounds like a wiring conflict.

Can you guys post up what wiring diagrams you used? There is this one on page 94 of:

https://esparparts.com/techsupport/...y Start/Remote/Easy Start Plus schematics.pdf

For the 801 and Digimax contoller - the diagnostic (Blu/Wht) line needed to be switched between the controller and the HAK kit as only one device could be on it at a time. In the above schematic the (Blu/Wht) line of the HAK is now being connected to the (Blu/Wht) line of the Easy Start Select controller and the Violet line of the HAK is then connected to (Blu/Wht) line of the heater.

Also, useful information here:

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_control_2.html

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It is also possible to mess up the wiring when crimping and putting them in the connector housings. So checking to for continuity while wiggling the plugs can be helpful.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Here’s a correct WD with 801 controller, hak, and aux temp sensor I put together. Note: I taped off ALL the wires which going from the hak to the 801 as it was just cleaner and more simple for me to wire it that way. But, you can wire the red and yellow wires to the 801 as well.

Sounds like a wiring conflict.

Can you guys post up what wiring diagrams you used? There is this one on page 94 of:

https://esparparts.com/techsupport/...y Start/Remote/Easy Start Plus schematics.pdf

For the 801 and Digimax contoller - the diagnostic (Blu/Wht) line needed to be switched between the controller and the HAK kit as only one device could be on it at a time. In the above schematic the (Blu/Wht) line of the HAK is now being connected to the (Blu/Wht) line of the Easy Start Select controller and the Violet line of the HAK is then connected to (Blu/Wht) line of the heater.

Also, useful information here:

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_control_2.html
Thank you so much! The above wiring diagram was much better than the one from the HAK. It did not have a legend showing which run went to the controller vs to the heater. Consequently, I had the blue /white to blue/white vs the violet to blue /white connections mixed up. That, and a bad connection to the external temp sensor where the grey/ red taps in, that showed up once clear of the n5i code had me a little stressed. Using the brutal Espar supplied documentation was very frustrating. Fixed now and making heat!! Thanks to those that replied with clues that got me going!
Gary

rollerbearing

Thank you so much! The above wiring diagram was much better than the one from the HAK. It did not have a legend showing which run went to the controller vs to the heater. Consequently, I had the blue /white to blue/white vs the violet to blue /white connections mixed up. That, and a bad connection to the external temp sensor where the grey/ red taps in, that showed up once clear of the n5i code had me a little stressed. Using the brutal Espar supplied documentation was very frustrating. Fixed now and making heat!! Thanks to those that replied with clues that got me going!
Gary
Thanks for letting us know how you got it working. Good to know that the Easy Start Select and the HAK do seem to get along.

In some ways it might be desirable for others to migrate from the 801 or DigiMax D-1000 because maybe that crazy switching of the shared blu/wht diag line can be avoided. Also, since it is the HAK that is communicating with the heater by the Violet line, people would maybe have some actual indication that the heater does really see the HAK.

Last edited:

russinthecascades

In follow up to my n5i fault question - it turned out to be a problem with the high altitude sensor. The code means: check voltage, check fuse, check wiring. I first removed the sensor from the circuit and the system fired up. Close examination showed the wiring block into the sensor was in backwards. Once turned around everything worked.

During the process I changed all my connectors to spade connectors and in general cleaned up the wiring. All is good, thanks for the responses. My system includes external temperature sensor and the Easy Start Select controller.

sparkplug

Interesting

I also had the n5i error code on first startup and couldn't find any reference to it anywhere online.

I double checked my wiring and all seemed OK

The only thing was that when I first connected it all up I had not yet read the next step in using the easy start controller for the first time - This meant the display had timed out and gone blank (which is correct) but when I activated it again it came up with the n5i error code and I was not able to get into the correct menus.

My solution was to disconnect the power, allow a few seconds for everything to reset and then power it up again.

This seemed to work for me and I was able to access the required menus and set the system up. All working correctly and reliably now.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The HAK main connector is a very dumb design. It can be installed either direction!. You need to look at the pin number on the plug, and match them against the pin numbers inside the HAK socket. They are really small though.

Top Bottom