Covered Bridge Tour 2016

o2awsum

I really wanted to get to Westyfest this year, but we are not going to make it, so I thought I'd share some pictures of a little adventure we did this past weekend.

We've always wanted to see some of the covered bridges in the Appalachian mountains. It was a running joke among some of our friends that we would find these bridges only to smash into them with our 'tall' van. We've run into a lot of 'height' envy when it comes to the Van.

My wife has commuted to work on and off on her Vespa GT200 scooter since 2005. We decided to bring the 'short' scooter with us on this adventure to protect the bridges. We did 3 days, 2 nights in West Virginia as a test of our set up. We hauled the scoot on a rack behind the van from NC to WV. Once we got there we did road trips and visited 7 covered bridges along with a lot of other sight seeing in between. Many miles of 2-up riding on some fantastic curvy back roads.

We're already planning the next trip. The versatility of the scooter combined with the Westy was amazing.

More pics here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/o2awsum/albums/72157669973212233

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Your Westy looks like it's in great shape. Several other Westy owners also carry motorcycles on back of Westy. And nice rear storage closet.

Years ago, Airstream used to market Westy through website 52weekends--perhaps to differentiate with Airstream Interstate (longer wheelbase and nosupertall fiberglass top so better handling).

Height is always a concern. Luckily, have only to reverse once when saw the sign too late. Usually, get enough advance warning. Sometimes, dangling wires with no posted height signs are a hassle. Got rid of tv antenna so hopefully any dangling wires will swoop smoothly over fiberglass top (and not get caught between rooftop skylight, AC, etc.).

Sometimes, weight is too on some bridges. At some park, there was a wood bridge with a 3 or so ton limit but the park folks said no problem as schoolbuses went over it all the time--so crossed it successfully both ways.

You're in a great location with several Westy owners (and maybe migrating Westy owners) for impromptu gatherings. Also nice to have Dr A nearby for any mechanical issues.

Top Bottom