Ford to introduce Transit Connect in the US

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hey George you can park that thing in both a Sprinter and Transit, it's a redbadged product, not a real Ford its sold under Citreon GM Kombi, Renault as well, very small unit and not that fuel efficient for it's size.
VW Have one called the Caddy, Fiat also have one, and I think the Ford unit is a Fiat made under multiple licences ford manufactures such as Ford.
But they are neat little zip about machines.
Richard

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
I've thought about what it is that jump-started the Sprinter as a commercial van, and I've decided that for me, it would be the interior height. I closed my business and retired just as the Sprinter was being introduced in the USA, but it would have been a perfect answer for us. My business was sales and service of upscale BBQ grills. US vans are not high enough for grills to roll through the rear doors for delivery, and box vans are simply overkill for our volume, plus they fit into a different insurance structure -- they were far too expensive for our purpose. Our answer was to use pickup trucks for delivery and hope it didn't rain. The low floor, high roof Sprinter would have been perfect for us.

They would also have made a better solution for our other use, which was as a construction van for our business of custom outdoor kitchens. We did use a couple of vans for that purpose, but the Sprinter's advantage is walk-in height.

This new Ford does not seem to offer any significant advantage over the available vans, except perhaps economy.

At the time I discovered the Sprinters, just as I was contemplating retirement, I never suspected I would own one as an RV. I doubt this Ford would fit that application, either.

Still, the fact that Ford is willing to import anything with the Transit name is perhaps a hopeful indication that the Sprinter-sized Transit might be somewhere behind it.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Don
The little ford is just that small one could fit a small BBQ in it not the fixed long jobs, these have engine capacity of about 1400cc they are popular as a small delivery unit in Europe as to try and park in Paris they fit on a dime :2cents:
It will be very interesting to see how both GM and Ford get around the problem with their old vans where the only option maybe ! Import European versions, I can see wars starting over that one, as these vehicles can not effectively work in some sectors of the U.S .
They would be great in San Francisco, but a death trap in New York, way to slow for multi lane Highways at high speed over 70 miles an hour.
The U.S market is unique when it comes down to vehicle configuration, Euro roads once off the Autobahn are small and suit the smaller vehicles same with England and other areas that have very high fuel prices.
We have all of them down under but they are used for urban use for small boutique type delivery units.
The ford unit above is a vauxhall made by Opel ,, now made in some cheap Turkish slave camp Renault Kangaroo, Fiat, Citroen and Opel plus Fiat use the same format inter sharing parts technology, this is where European manufactures used their nut to compete with world market dominance, this started back in the late sixties and now they are realizing the full benefits to to the very risky, but financially viable Vehicle market.
OF course With China and India coming on line , the rules will change again, even Mercedes has taken up residence in China to circumvent copy right being stolen, of which the Chinese are world experts in the game of pinching others idea's.
If you can't fight the dragon join them .
Richard
Last years models
vauxhall combo UK version.jpg

Combo Opel version GM.jpg

Aus Kangaroo GM.jpg

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
Hi Don
The little ford is just that small one could fit a small BBQ in it not the fixed long jobs,
The problem for us was height, not length -- our barbies all have high lids, while most of the Aussie barbies I've seen are lid-less. Australians seem to like to get their meat really close to a super hot flame and char the heck out of them, while American style BBQ tends to be much slower, with the lid closed, at lower heat, to slowly develop the flavor.

versus

This is the sort of thing we used to construct:

Sorry to hijack the thread -- I'll be good, now.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Oh! Don
You asked for this one! That redundant, pile old sticks on the left is over thirty years old in design :laughing: Closed shop type! slow with the Go: We export them that is the stainless units to the UK, it appears the Poms cant' make a Barbie! It's for the concourse's jet set:bounce:
Now please let me explain an Aussie Barbie one steel plate! A big bunch of sticks, one Cow, very fresh and cook the Bugger, before he kicks you in the A$$:smirk:
We have as many types as you can think off, we may be down under, But heck were not so far back in the boon docks, that the crows fly backwards? strewth if we can't find a cow, (Steer) then we pinch a few sheep (Barrrr' Lamb)grazing on the side,, well when neither are on the loose, catch a lizard , taste like chicken, a few Roos! (Kangaroo) a long neck native hen, with six rocks. (Don't ask) Long story.
a few snags, and a six pack! And the party is on . Girls are banned from the fire.
I prefer seafood pizza a few prawns lightly seared, local Cray fish (lobster)
Tasmanian salmon the cream of crem'e D'e crem'e a few tid-bits of octapussy He, he, and a moray sauce, Of course for the main course a 1"" rump stake,:drool: or T Bone Rex size , hit the thing with high heat for two minutes each side to lock in the good ol"e juices ,and slow sear for ten minutes, add a few chips ( potatoes, a little green salad on the side, and Hell your in heaven ! Now you can call and have a feed with an Aussie any day mate, cause we love company! Even if your drunk, It's the Australian way.
Back to the van for transportation of the said mythical BBQ! Well they come in a high top version too, but you need a cargo barrier behind you,just for safety.
A few picks of A A Hi-TOP Opel , One modern export version of the so called new generation BBQ with rotating chook bar and all.
Richard PS The pizza BBQ works a real treat., and Ar'rrr a bottle or two or three of Tasmanian wine after the six pack of cascade Larger:shhh:
Hi top BBQ catcher.jpg

outback-connoisseur-concept-gas-grill-tn.jpg

ribs_shrimp_pizza.jpg
PS Your site! Now I know where we knocked it off from, tut, tut! you should have a world wide copyright on it:lol:

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
? :smirk: That's a stretch!

Transit Connect, a minivan with less windows....Sprinter sales are bound to drop:laughing:
Sprinter sales have dropped world wide many pre purchased 2006 to avoid cost increases because of the exhaust emissions mandates and the so called myth of a lesser fuel economy
Back to lobster! Goes with Scollop's, Mussels and Oysters Salmon smoked any one want a picnic?
This is going to be a good year:bounce:

Crayfish 1.jpg

Scallops 11.jpg

Mussels 5.jpg

Salmon 5.jpg

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
With both the new Mercedes Sprinter and the FORD UK TRANSIT, !!!!!
There is a massive ten thousand dollar Plus! Difference between them ?
Transit down under are selling fast, not so with the New Sprinter.
OK there is no comparison between the two when it comes down to safety and longevity of the Sprinter versus the smoking clap trap of a transit.
But the buck does stop at the back pocket, and the buyers are voting Ford

Seriously I need a passenger unit and at a price difference of over 25 thousand between Ford and the Sprinter, I have to think ? Not such a bad idea to make the Benz-shake with a transit parked up behind the Sprinters rear end:smilewink:
Even the options, not that there is that many! are half of what Mercedes is asking for a similar item.
Richard
DSC00155 (Large).jpg

DSC00156 (Large).jpg

sprinterbitch

We run transit connects as CSI vans and they are a genuine ford product based on the focus chassis and running gear a guy at work has one and he can just fit a full size motocross bike in it if he folds the front seat down .They are pretty quick with a 1800 turbo diesel engine abs airbags traction control a/c all the same as a ford focus definatly not renault gm vw just ford

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
We run transit connects as CSI vans and they are a genuine ford product based on the focus chassis and running gear a guy at work has one and he can just fit a full size motocross bike in it if he folds the front seat down .They are pretty quick with a 1800 turbo diesel engine abs airbags traction control a/c all the same as a ford focus definatly not renault gm vw just ford
Yep we know that one down under Genuine 100% FORD
"Fixed or repaired daily" too:bounce: but at least they match with Euro prices, The Merc's are now way of the scale in price
Went to the dealer today and the manger fell over me and My Mercedes, As they have never seen a Sportsline version!do they want to do a trade, With a buy outright no trade-in discounting thousands of RRP and I didn't even get that far I was gob smacked as to the difference between Ford and Mercedes in the way they at least approach a prospective client. I have to admit I can't buy them in Europe. " the Ford that is" and ship them as cheap as they are being offered down under , the passenger unit is AU $49.000 fully loaded with the half a dozen options ford has on offer for the units, but ESP ABS and the both airbags,Diesel 2.4 litre TDCi rear wheel drive or the 2.2 litre for front wheel drive,and any color metallic, plus front and rear overrider's fully registered and on the road no more to pay, no side air bags which is a downer,not to mention the old particulate filter, not keen on the Ford emission exhaust system at all, as diesel fumes are are known cancer indicator! but the deal leaves the Mercedes for dead on price, I admit that a Mercedes is a Mercedes, as to the safety and quality aspects, and the Ford is the lesser unit! You get what you pay for. It;s a good price as I get the 10% GST "VAT" back in the first bass quarter, which reduces the price back to AU $44500.
Then went to Toyota and they matched the deal with further discounts on fleet purchase rates as I am a Company Pty Ltd, the only down side is they are not as wide.
Richard

Last edited:

Top Bottom