t1n overhaul

VAMANOS

2006 t1n 205k
I'm about to do a bunch of stuff to my sprinter and I wanted to confirm a few things and get opinions from the experts.

I'm going to remove the old vent and put in a maxxair deluxe. I plan to use eternabond and dicor lap seal. before I put it on however, I want to reseal and refurbish the roof a bit.

The roof seems to have been sealed before along a bunch of seams, but I just dont trust whoever did it. It rained and some water came through the air vent. I got up and sprayed a coat of emergency rubber and that sealed it up. but i want to really take care of it all along the entire roof. So im thining of going along each seam, grinding it down if there is rust (im betting there is a decent amount) adding por 15 (etch, prep and top coat) then eternabonding the entire seam. on every seam. (should I do eternabond first?)

im going to scrub every little rust spot on the roof and treat it similarly. then maybe just do a full bus kote over the top of it all? I really want to just make sure its not going to leak in the future as im going to be building out a camper.

How can I treat rust in the rain gutter? is there anythign special I should do? be aware of.

sharing this stuff just because im excited.
_____

other things on my to do list
cut out door between patrician
pull out everything the previous person built, check insulation for thermal bridges, fill gaps, change floors, (remove floors reflectix). Put it back in how I like it.
make cabinets, install microwave
lower bed (so i can sit up)
make pull out table integrated under bed.
put in sink and induction stove
shorten counter and add wood block
add diesel heater (no factory aux fuel cable, that will be fun.....)
build 180ah lifepo4 battery system
wire electrical system
build water system
solar install
build roof deck.
Instal Ham radio
this is fUN!

Attachments

altide8

Look into the Chinese diesel heaters. They have a pretty good following. Great for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cian128

buy the ~200 dollar chinese one and not the ~100 dollar heater

well worth getting a little higher on the cheap/crap curve

any inside pics?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Eternabond works, but I would consider automotive urethane seam sealer, and than paint the top coat over top of it. If you are able to remove the majority of the rust, Then you don't need por15, just use a good epoxy primer.

VAMANOS

2006 t1n 205k
Eternabond works, but I would consider automotive urethane seam sealer, and than paint the top coat over top of it. If you are able to remove the majority of the rust, Then you don't need por15, just use a good epoxy primer.
I've already purchased eternabond, and also have lap sealant. but I will look into getting the other stuff you mention

is there any reason not to take a angular grinder to the seam down to bare metal. throw some por 15 on it. then add some eternabond tape. and finally seal it with urethane seam sealer........... I really dont want this thing leaking

VAMANOS

2006 t1n 205k
What Ham Radio? That makes a difference in what you use for your electrical system. For example, some solar charge controllers are very RFI noisy.

See my T1N Ham Radio HF station installation site:

https://sites.google.com/site/marksmobilehamstation/

Regards,

Mark

Awesome! I got a mppt charge controller. I haven't passed my exam yet but a friend of mine promised me his extra rig when I do so im studying for it. will check out your website.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You need to use the products how they are intended. Seam sealer will not bond to the tape. Many t1ns did not get proper seam sealing from the factory, which is why you had leaks.

VAMANOS

2006 t1n 205k
You need to use the products how they are intended. Seam sealer will not bond to the tape. Many t1ns did not get proper seam sealing from the factory, which is why you had leaks.
what about grind, then por 15, then seal, then tape....okay I sound ridiculous dont I

Top Bottom