4X4 engagement issues...

I have a 2019 4x4 passenger with 6k on it now. I have always experienced the finicky 4x4 engagement, even following the manuals detailed instructions with d-n-r-d-n-p etc., but now, when I turn the van on in the morning, the red 4x4 light is on without me having turned it on. When i try to turn it off, it takes multiple attempts. So I really don't know if the 4x4 has engaged or if it's just the light being on. It has done this three times now.
I will be taking it to the dealer in a couple weeks but thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this as well. thanks, j

It should remain on until you turn it off. If the light is on, the 4x4 is engaged. I can tell by the sound and feeling of the road as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanomechanic

While still moving under 5 mph. Shift to reverse or drive. It will actually go to neutral. That works every time for me

benhoopes

I have a 2019 4x4 passenger with 6k on it now. I have always experienced the finicky 4x4 engagement, even following the manuals detailed instructions with d-n-r-d-n-p etc., but now, when I turn the van on in the morning, the red 4x4 light is on without me having turned it on. When i try to turn it off, it takes multiple attempts. So I really don't know if the 4x4 has engaged or if it's just the light being on. It has done this three times now.
I will be taking it to the dealer in a couple weeks but thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this as well. thanks, j
I have experienced your exact same issue. It isn’t every time but has been random that 4x4 goes on by itself from startup. I have an appointment on Monday. Hopefully they can figure it out.

desertradio

My 2019 4X4 Cargo has the erratic AWD engagement issue also. I have recently used the vehicle in over 150 miles of off road driving and have found what works for me is - rolling forward at 5 mph, shift into neutral and push 4X4 button. Usually this procedure works but not all times. I have put the vehicle into AWD over 10 times in a row using this procedure but the next time tried and never able to engage. Indicator lamp would flash 2 times then go out. Fortunately, was able to drive 23 miles in 2 wheel drive then tried to engage AWD and worked first time.

I have seen my 4X4 indicator lamp off after stopping the vehicle then restarting. When the vehicle was stopped it was in the 4X4 mode.

In a few days I'm heading back to the dealer, once again, with my laundry list of issues, will see what happens this time.

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
Go to dealer and have them check for an update. I was having engagement issues with mine, sent it to dealer and there was an update for the system. Its been working fine since getting it back yesterday.

thanks for the heads up, I hope to get my van in next week if they are open.
In light of the covid 19 situation, wonder if my dealer is even taking appointments?

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
I was wondering the same. Our Gov issued all nonessential retail locations to close and this included car dealerships but I'm pretty sure they fought back and you can now make an appointment to go check out cars. However, I think the service department would be considered essential? Call and find out!

In light of the covid 19 situation, wonder if my dealer is even taking appointments?

I got an email from my dealer yesterday that they were considered critical operations and are open - and they're offering 50% discount on all labor so it might be great timing to get some work done.

Marko888

FWIW, here is my experience with a September 2019 Dusseldorf built 2500 4x4. I ran my van in AWD mode for about 4k miles from new. (Winter here in BC) My thinking was the whole system would need break-in miles. It shifts between 2WD and AWD with ease. No fussing about required to get it to shift. Shift transmission to neutral, hit the button. Shazam.

81duck

I've had my 2019 4x4 in 4WD 5 or 6 times since I received it in January. I've found the easiest way to engage is come to a full stop and put in park. Then go to reverse, to drive and back to neutral, then push the 4wd switch. Works every time. Just trying to go straight in or moving at 5mph or less has never worked for me.

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
Yeah that shouldn't be the case. You should be able to go right into 4x4. Id say bring it into a dealer and have them check the system for an update.

I've had my 2019 4x4 in 4WD 5 or 6 times since I received it in January. I've found the easiest way to engage is come to a full stop and put in park. Then go to reverse, to drive and back to neutral, then push the 4wd switch. Works every time. Just trying to go straight in or moving at 5mph or less has never worked for me.

81duck

Yeah that shouldn't be the case. You should be able to go right into 4x4. Id say bring it into a dealer and have them check the system for an update.
Hmmm, sounds like I should do that. I got the impression from reading the manual that the gear dance is kind of standard operating procedure.

81duck

Better not be the case for $60K plus vans! HAHA. Good luck with the fix!
Agreed. My previous ride was a 2014 Ford Raptor. Loved just turning the knob and engaging 4WD, plus an indicator on the dash. Can't believe there's no icon on the dash when you're in AWD on these Sprinters, plus it's hard to see the light on the AWD switch. I have to lean down and to the right to even see it as its blocked by the steering wheel.

Mathewst

It is how 4wd on sprinter works. Its crap engagement. My dealer changed sensors, engagement motor, updated software, tried everything.
It still does the same as to you all others. Sometimes it enageges days without issue. Sometimes it doesnt engage at all for 30minutes.
Guess when... Murphy law it usually doesnt engage when you need it (maybe some terrain flexing.. of shafts, gears). Better to engage it on flat, on pavement before.

update, over the last month i've experienced a new 4wd problem- in the morning when i turn the van on to head to work, the 4wd red light is randomly just on, even thought i didn't turn it on. it seems to be engaged too. does it about one out of every 8-10 day no rhyme or reason. dealer says don't know...

Eric B

Linking to other thread again as it seems like a good candidate for being the culprit

Top Bottom