Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)?

230321a

Frito's total fuel costs have just now exceeded his $20K purchase price. 150K miles in ten years and a little over 6K usg out the tailpipe.

Repair costs have totaled less than $2K, much of which was an AC rad emergency-installed in Las Vegas.

Other than that, consumables and wear items. See my signature.
Thank you for the link showcasing your exceptional work.:thumbup:

D

Deleted member 50714

Unless the first digit of the VIN is. "J", it's not a Japanese vehicle.

Conversely, if the first digit of the VIN is. "1", then it was made in the U.S.A.

...and "W" is Germany, and "Z" is Italy.
Smooth Operator, only with respect to manufacturing. Still designed by JAPANESE, thus JAPANESE. Same for Sprinters made in America, still technically considered German. American cars are GARBAGE.

red_johnny

Until 2019 in the USA, the choice of a Mercedes Sprinter with a gasoline engine has not existed. Diesel was the only choice, with a 4 cylinder option for a couple of years.

Yes, there are maybe 10 2008/2009 Dodge Sprinters with gasoline engines.

I suspect that many new USA Mercedes Sprinter buyers will choose the gasoline engine vs the V6 diesel. If the 4 cylinder diesel makes a comeback, who knows.

I would have a hard time buying another vehicle with a diesel engine... and keeping it beyond the emissions warranty timeframe. That said, I am intrigued by the upcoming Transit Connect that has an available diesel engine....
I am looking at getting the gas engine. Currently have a 2014 passenger van with the V6. The update of the 2019 is just too good to pass up. Many features that we added to our van is now available in factory form. Additionally, the various nannies that are available seem like all great safety features. I am just waiting to find out what the average gas mileage is going to be on the passenger vans before I switch.

danski0224

I'd be really surprised if the gasoline Sprinter engine MPG is 17... even 15 around town. Babying it.

A Dodge Grand Caravan with the V6 won't do 20 MPG around town, the Ford Transit Connect is now the most fuel efficient non hybrid minivan and it has a small 4 cylinder. I believe the Transit Connect is rated at 24.

No DPF, DEF, NOx emissions problems though :)

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I'd be really surprised if the gasoline Sprinter engine MPG is 17... even 15 around town. Babying it.

A Dodge Grand Caravan with the V6 won't do 20 MPG around town, the Ford Transit Connect is now the most fuel efficient non hybrid minivan and it has a small 4 cylinder. I believe the Transit Connect is rated at 24.

No DPF, DEF, NOx emissions problems though :)
For MPG's, are you taking in consideration that the MB is turbo, and the others not ?

red_johnny

For MPG's, are you taking in consideration that the MB is turbo, and the others not ?
And that is my problem right now. I cant find any data on MPG on the little turbo 4 banger. I feel it should be hitting in the 20's (low end) but until I see hard data I am not going to pull the trigger. Now I know weight and gearing play a huge role in the final MPG as well as driving habits but I see what the newer Camaros are getting in their turbo 4s and its impressive.

red_johnny

hmm, I was just using the posted mpg I've been seeing online. Wouldn't that factor in the turbo aspect?
Where did you find info from? I have been searching off and on for the last few weeks and cant find anything except for 1 post on this forum who claimed 18-19 MPG.

Jazzbones

Where did you find info from? I have been searching off and on for the last few weeks and cant find anything except for 1 post on this forum who claimed 18-19 MPG.
I wish I could remember specifically- it would be better if I kept track of these things!). One place I remember looking was a site called "fuelly" (that name is in my notes at least). My impression has been that the mileage varies some by year, and of course by engine, how loaded up it is, etc.

From my notes: Avg MPG for sprinter: acc to fuelly, varies a lot by year (Best (>20) 2014, 2017; Worst 2012 (http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/sprinter)

But, fuelly also posted a 34 mpg rate for the Nissan, so I'm not sure how accurate they are!

Were you looking for sprinter or NV mpg?

- A potential seller recently told me that his 2015, 2500, 144" home-made sprinter conversion was getting about 23-24 mpg

- A MBZ dealer told me awhile back that the older dodge freightliners were getting about 22 (that may have been empty?)

Hope this helps. Hope you'll also consider posting any other good resources you may find!

red_johnny

I wish I could remember specifically- it would be better if I kept track of these things!). One place I remember looking was a site called "fuelly" (that name is in my notes at least). My impression has been that the mileage varies some by year, and of course by engine, how loaded up it is, etc.

From my notes: Avg MPG for sprinter: acc to fuelly, varies a lot by year (Best (>20) 2014, 2017; Worst 2012 (http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/sprinter)

But, fuelly also posted a 34 mpg rate for the Nissan, so I'm not sure how accurate they are!

Were you looking for sprinter or NV mpg?

- A potential seller recently told me that his 2015, 2500, 144" home-made sprinter conversion was getting about 23-24 mpg

- A MBZ dealer told me awhile back that the older dodge freightliners were getting about 22 (that may have been empty?)

Hope this helps. Hope you'll also consider posting any other good resources you may find!
Looking specifically for the 2019 and up gas 4 cylinder engine passenger van. I want to get the 1500 series which I doubt I will find any info for.

My 2018 psgr Metris averages 19-20mpg. Granted still only 2800 miles and often running front & rear a/c for summer. Metris weighs 4700lbs. 100mph limited top speed gearing. I am looking at Sprinter Crew 4 cylinder.
In Sprinter 4 cyl 20 less HP (for reg gas), I guesstimate Sprinter30-40% more frontal area with HR than the Metris. 144 Crew 4cyl weighs 5,000lbs, 170 weighs 5,300lbs. However Sprinter 2 more speeds- for only 85MPH top speed.
I test drove new 144 cargo 4cyl "spiritedly" in my hilly area and got 18mpg
Based on all above, I am figuring 17-19mpg on 4 cyl crew 144, and 16-18mpg on 4 cyl crew 170

Last edited:

monoloco

Yeah, skip the Promaster. Too many problems.

I think the NV is worth considering. It's ugly, but so is the Promaster; Transit too in some configurations. Given the problems I've seen on the Transit forums, it seems like the NV's might be a little better sorted. I'm sure the Transits will get there with time, like the NV.
A friend of mine has a Promaster and is on his 4th transmission in 102,000 miles.

drbutton

We drove the NV 2500 and found its gutless V8 to be disturbingly underpowered. The fit and finish of the interior was good, but the body panels seemed thin, weak. Also, the NV has an enormous nose for a van...is it really a van or a truck with a box-body? That protuberance makes maneuvering the beast more difficult. We went out and bought a Transit 3500. Now we have the Sprinter. I like the Sprinter the best, but the Transit is better than the Nissan in my opinion.

MsNomer

A friend of mine has a Promaster and is on his 4th transmission in 102,000 miles.
Totally not normal. Would you want all Sprinters judged by the few that have problems? A guy came on our forum a few days ago with 350,000 miles on his transmission and he’s never even had it serviced.

monoloco

Totally not normal. Would you want all Sprinters judged by the few that have problems? A guy came on our forum a few days ago with 350,000 miles on his transmission and he’s never even had it serviced.
Well, I could understand getting one bad one, but three? He can't wait to be rid of it, and I'm pretty sure he won't be recommending one to his friends. He's also had numerous other less major issues, cooling fan, radiator leak, and rear door latches, are just the ones I remember. The thing is always in the shop for something. Apparently, he's not the only one who has had issues.https://www.edmunds.com/ram/promaster-cargo-van/2018/consumer-reviews/

Top Bottom