P242F - Diesel Particulate Filter Ash Accumulation

cherwin3

2012 Mercedes Sprinter 2500 - 192300mi

Purchased the vehicle with 160000mi on it. Not sure if the DPF or the EGR valve were ever changed prior to me owning it.

Error Code: P242F - Diesel Particulate Filter Ash Accumulation

My questions:

1. If the only code being called out is P242F what are the chances that something else is wrong with the Exhaust system, other than the DPF?
-----A bit of info: The code came on while driving at highway speeds of 75mph for some 200 mi straight. Which seems odd because a regen should, or could have been taking place any time during that 200mi. That is why I'm skeptical that its just an ash accumulation issue in the DPF. Thoughts??

2. What is the usual cost to have a DPF cleaned? I can't really get a straight answer from anyone on this. A semi truck shop said a $1000 (with it still on the vehicle), but that is for a semi truck, which I assume is a lot different. Furthermore if it is that high, wouldn't I just get a new DPF at that point I think I saw them for around $1300.

3. My biggest problem... I'm in Bismarck, ND traveling across the country. There is no Mercedes dealer here. And the one place I was told could work on it said they couldn't because mine is Mercedes and not dodge and he can't communicate with my engine computer... So does anyone know anyone that can help in Bismarck, ND. Or is it possible to clean the DPF my self with liqui Moly and purchase a OBD computer that can reset the code or force a manual regen.
----OBD COMPUTER: Can someone shed a little light on this? I see threads talking about forcing a manual regen cycle with the OBD computer, but it doesn't seem that is how the system works (I could be wrong). I thought the system performs one as the pressure differential across the DPF changes accordingly. Is the OBD computer only used to reset the error code? If that is the only reason fro the code could I ask a auto place to reset the code for me?

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
AFAIK Regen clear soot but not ash. 192000 miles is pretty good for a DPF lifespan. Once ash accumulation exceeds allowable, the DPF probably needs to be replaced.

Cleaning has variable success rate, so unless you find a good deal and a reputable cleaner, and usually you need to take it off and ship it to them, I would hesitate to recommend that.

If you think you might be keeping the vehicle for some time yet, might be best to spring for a replacement.

I suspect you can drive for a few hundred miles yet before you actually have to do it. Others may know better, but it is possible that soot-burning regens may still be working.

cherwin3

AFAIK Regen clear soot but not ash. 192000 miles is pretty good for a DPF lifespan. Once ash accumulation exceeds allowable, the DPF probably needs to be replaced.

Cleaning has variable success rate, so unless you find a good deal and a reputable cleaner, and usually you need to take it off and ship it to them, I would hesitate to recommend that.

If you think you might be keeping the vehicle for some time yet, might be best to spring for a replacement.

I suspect you can drive for a few hundred miles yet before you actually have to do it. Others may know better, but it is possible that soot-burning regens may still be working.

Thanks Rob,

Do you think I can make it 700 miles to Denver? I can do work myself there but not in Bismark.

Also, has anyone done a DPF change on their own? Obviously I would need a OBD tool to reset the code after install. But is it a hard install to complete? I'm a bit skeptical on doing it myself as I have not seen videos anywhere of anyone doing it.

A Mercedes Dealership told me it would cost $3900 to swap out, which seems crazy. Especially when I asked how much It would cost to change a EGR valve, I know how easy this is, and they told me $900 so I don't trust them at all.

I have a 2012 so the DPF is right next to the engine, not under the van (after the CC) like the older models. I wish it was like this though.

showkey

New or replacement (reman) DPF needs to learned or adapted ........so it’s more than a clearing the code. Bi directional scan tool is required. Most likely a new DPF updated pressure diff. sensor would be a good idea at the same time ???

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
If you're in Denver I would definitely give Lindenengineering a call, his shop is in Littleton, and he is THE sprinter guru on this forum.

pssst, Dennis, got a job for you ...

lindenengineering

If you're in Denver I would definitely give Lindenengineering a call, his shop is in Littleton, and he is THE sprinter guru on this forum.

pssst, Dennis, got a job for you ...
Oh Joy!
Its often advisable to fit an exchange unit due to the time it takes to RnR it.
We have had them cleaned out, (occasionally) and the elephant trunk pipe has to be lopped off it clean it out properly--then welded back on place exactly, or else its a bear to fit.
Success is not 100% guaranteed.;
Dennis

4wheels

OP asks :
My questions:

1. If the only code being called out is P242F what are the chances that something else is wrong with the Exhaust system, other than the DPF?

I had same code at about same mileage . Replaced updated DPF sensor and soldered new updated plug for that sensor . Also , replaced hoses to DPF sensor , just in case. Fast forward to over 300k and all is good .
Oh , I adapted new sensor with xentry c4 , which is a must if you own Sprinter

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

cherwin3

Rob thank you again...

Dennis I called and made an appointment at your shop, but as I am traveling the country I would really enjoy not bothering my brother for a month until Oct 10th. Do you have anyone other mechanics you recommend around Denver? Not trying to take away business, just trying to not bother my brother a month. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

lindenengineering

Rob thank you again...

Dennis I called and made an appointment at your shop, but as I am traveling the country I would really enjoy not bothering my brother for a month until Oct 10th. Do you have anyone other mechanics you recommend around Denver? Not trying to take away business, just trying to not bother my brother a month. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
I could only recommend MB Littleton.
Good guys good dealer shop.
Talk to Rory if you need alternatives.

When have you made an appointment?
We are swamped
Dennis

cherwin3

I could only recommend MB Littleton.
Good guys good dealer shop.
Talk to Rory if you need alternatives.

When have you made an appointment?
We are swamped
Dennis
Awesome I will give them a call.

I called this morning and scheduled for Oct 10th. I totally get it man, its all good, gotta work with whats thrown at ya, I'll survive.

Top Bottom