Mojovan Promaster

mojogoat

Heres some pics of my progress, Just mounted the Onan 2800 with the anti-vibration mounts, the cover is covered with foam and lead sheeting. Added the hitch, the rear view cameras, one wide view pointed down for backing, the other a little narrower view pointed higher for driving. 7" screen toggles both cameras, works great cost less than $80 from Amazon for all. Have been coating the underside with several coats of ceramic paint.
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mcgiotes/library/Mojovan?sort=3&page=1

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Nice bay window Westie in the garage. Your PM looks good so far. Not much ground clearance on that rear axle.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
It would be nice to keep these pictures on this forum, from my experience after a few years they tend to disappear. Fiat is new here, it would be nice to keep your progress on the record.

What year is your Westfalia, 77 ?

Good luck,

Onefin

I like the sounds of your camera set-up.
Do you know the part numbers of what you ordered from amazon? And how you made the toggle work?
I look at amazon, but it all seems the same to me and I honestly don't know much about them at all.
Promaster looks great, I think the front end of the PM looks very cool, the most "euro" of all the European vans, total: side of The road watching the Tour de France style.
Keep posting on this forum, not much good info on the promaster out there.
Thanks.

jostalli

Do you know the part numbers of what you ordered from amazon? And how you made the toggle work?
I look at amazon, but it all seems the same to me and I honestly don't know much about them at all.
Promaster looks great, I think the front end of the PM looks very cool, the most "euro" of all the European vans, total: side of The road watching the Tour de France style.
Thanks.
We all post on http://www.promasterforum.com

Lots of good info there.

mojogoat

Thanks.
Here's the ones I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPKDRTQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081GZDQQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?
ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/RearView-Head..._8?ie=UTF8&qid=1424009087&sr=8-8&keywords=lcd

Onefin

Mojogoat: thanks for the responses.
I will check the promaster forum as well.
I have begun seeing lots of promasters around where I live.

surlyoldbill

I just took a tour of the ProMaster at a local Dodge dealer (picking up rear pinion seal part).

Interior is great, I like the dash layout and the interior width, and the cubbies above the driver.
Still can't get over the low rear drop axle, so I won't be getting one.

One thing I didn't think of until the salesman pointed it out, if you have the diesel with the elec. manual tranny, you need to remember to put on the parking brake when you get out! He said that's why they put it on the outside, so if you start getting out and the van starts rolling you can reach it through the open door.

One thing I didn't think of until the salesman pointed it out, if you have the diesel with the elec. manual tranny, you need to remember to put on the parking brake when you get out! He said that's why they put it on the outside, so if you start getting out and the van starts rolling you can reach it through the open door.
I own a diesel Promaster and I can assure you that the salesman is misleading you.
When I shutdown the Promaster I leave it in gear just like any manual transmission vehicle. There is no "park" position like a conventional auto tranny vehicle. At that point you can apply the parking brake or not. If left in gear the Promaster will not roll.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

I own a diesel Promaster and I can assure you that the salesman is misleading you.
When I shutdown the Promaster I leave it in gear just like any manual transmission vehicle. There is no "park" position like a conventional auto tranny vehicle. At that point you can apply the parking brake or not. If left in gear the Promaster will not roll.
I think he said if it was out of gear. I was taught to only park in neutral with manual trannys, I don't know why.

surlyoldbill

How much higher is the bottom of the Differential on a sprinter?
I measured mine at almost 9". But the differential doesn't span the entire width like the drop axle does. My Sprinter shock mounts are around 10". There is only a short space between, maybe 12-15", that has a clearance of 12" or more, so it could be argued that the extra clearance isn't as effective as it would seem.

I still think that there will be a revision in a year or two, maybe just for the American market, that will flip the axle and hang the shocks from it instead of putting them on top like they do now. Or there will be an aftermarket kit to do that. A few incidents of people tearing out their rear axles will inspire the change.

jostalli

I still think that there will be a revision in a year or two, maybe just for the American market, that will flip the axle and hang the shocks from it instead of putting them on top like they do now. Or there will be an aftermarket kit to do that. A few incidents of people tearing out their rear axles will inspire the change.
The Fiat Ducato is the top selling cargo van world wide. We only just received the model that everyone else has had for years. If the design caused "incidents of people tearing out their rear axles" then I'm sure it would have been changed long ago.

There is no reason to be worried about the design. I have said this before that I have no problem taking my Promaster off road through Baja (which is happening starting in August).

surlyoldbill

The Fiat Ducato is the top selling cargo van world wide. We only just received the model that everyone else has had for years. If the design caused "incidents of people tearing out their rear axles" then I'm sure it would have been changed long ago.

There is no reason to be worried about the design. I have said this before that I have no problem taking my Promaster off road through Baja (which is happening starting in August).
It freaks me out, man!:eek:

I'm sure you're right, I took my little Fiat 128 on crazy jeep trails and often just straight through the woods, and it had even lower ground clearance. And neither the Transit, Sprinter or Promaster were designed to go on off-pavement adventures, and I doubt more than 1% ever will. I'm sure I could manage a RamMaster on nearly all the places I've been in my Sprinter, but that extra bit of clearance provides a little more confidence.

Hey, since it's FWD, and most opportunities to hit the drop axle would occur at crawling speed, an angled guard in front of the drop axle to ramp it up and over the rock/stump/body/etc might be pretty handy. And a profitable little aftermarket product for a fabricator!

Top Bottom