2012 Merc won't start

Terry Torn

Hi Sprinter people.
My merc has nearly driven me around the benz. Its a 2012, WDB906, 2.1L twin turbo. i changed the motor in with a second hand motor and started it. it started up in limp mode with number one cyclinder not firing. i got it to mechcanic to get injectors coded in which they did and since then we have not been able to start it. changed injector one. checked fuel to injectors ok. computer says 3bar pressure in rail. it turns over just wont fire. Be mercely greatfull if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

D

Deleted member 50714

Bump.

Check battery health, grounds. Especially, engine to chassis ground strap. Cam and crank sensor connectors.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
3 bar is not enough fuel pressure. I would guess you have a HPFP issue, or one of your injectors is leaking too much fuel off to the return.

3 bar is about what the in-tank lift pump makes, so you are getting fuel to the HPFP (flowing through it). But it can't build pressure. That is usually due to a failed pressure control valve. I am not familiar wit the 2.1s fuel system, but there will either be a pressure control valve on the fuel rail, and/or one of the fuel pump. If either fails, you can't build fuel pressure.

The same goes for a bad injector, it will allow too much fuel to leak out into the return, and the HPFP can't build pressure.

On the older style injectors, we put a piece of clear tubing on the injectors return fitting, and crank the engine. Excessive leak-off will show up that way. Not sure if thats possible with your vans injectors? Especially given their unknown history.

Terry Torn

Hi Sprinter people
Well my delivery van is still off the road since august. Its the busied time of year off me (plant nursery) that why its taken so long to get back to you. The mechcanic here cannot fix it. it is simply beyond him (as with most mechicanics). he is saying he now he thinks it might be electrical. The computer comes up with low rail pressure. he claims he can see the rail build on computer. I have checked continuilty on the electrial lume all seems OK. My question is which sensor comes up with low rail pressure and where is it? Can it be bypassed to start the engine? Is their a trick i can use to bypass computer and start the engine?
I live in Cowra NSW small town with 14 mechicans all refuse to work on the merc. Which is consistance with most of nsw. If you are a retired mechicanic passing through cowra or are on holidays and would like to have a go please let me know. I can put you up for a night or 2. I am desparate. The dealers dont want to know. all they say is tow it to them. $5000.00 for a tow. However it never been sucufully fixed by a dealer yet in sydney, orange and woollongong. So no faith in them anyway. Its also why i am in this mess to start with. (at the cost of a fortune)There must be someone who knows. If there any experieced mechicanics will to talk this mechican though the problem on the phone please let me know. Thanks terry 0418859211. PS there a guy in melbourne who supplies 2nd hand engines. dont buy from this guy. the engine came with blocked injetors, siezed idel pulleys, siezed water pump and other things that i fixed to try and get it on the road he is a bad guy.

PeterInSa

TT for a guaranteed Fix at a reasonable cost I would have your Sprinter transported to Eric in Vic ( providing he is in agreement.)

I have also transported a HiAce Bus on a very large braked trailer behind my Landcruiser over 1000Km so that may be an option also, providing the trailer can take the load legally of your Sprinter and the Tug has the Towing Capacity and Tow ball load capacity.

some suggested transport organisations here:
https://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83522

Peter

mcguyver

TT for a guaranteed Fix at a reasonable cost I would have your Sprinter transported to Eric in Vic ( providing he is in agreement.)

I have also transported a HiAce Bus on a very large braked trailer behind my Landcruiser over 1000Km so that may be an option also, providing the trailer can take the load legally of your Sprinter and the Tug has the Towing Capacity and Tow ball load capacity.

some suggested transport organisations here:
https://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83522

Peter
This is what I would be doing. Its only 650klm according to Google.

Good luck

Terry Torn

Hi Sprinter people
Well i have managed to clear all the error codes however the engine won't start. It appears there is no single to the injectors from the computer. All this started when mechanic tried to code in new injector numbers. i think that the security system has locked out the new numbers or won't except them even through the snapon says it has excepted coding. Does anybody know how to either reset security system or get around it some how? thanks for any help. Terry

lindenengineering

Hi Sprinter people
Well i have managed to clear all the error codes however the engine won't start. It appears there is no single to the injectors from the computer. All this started when mechanic tried to code in new injector numbers. i think that the security system has locked out the new numbers or won't except them even through the snapon says it has excepted coding. Does anybody know how to either reset security system or get around it some how? thanks for any help. Terry
Terry
Greeting to you down under.
For starters I doubt he has wiped out/crooked the security system with Snappy. Its good but its a bit bloody limited in what it can do on a Sprinter.

What comes to mind straight away is the injectors!!!
Why were you en-coding them?
Replacing them or what ?
If you have replaced the injectors did you install ones for that model & years because injectors for the CD14 look alike but wont work!

Also did you fire it up with the new injectors un-coded, because if right it should fire right up but flag a CEL Mil light.
If you didn't check that the cam sensor plug hasn't got molested on top of the driver's side cam cover (being right hooker) then do make sure all the sockets are fully pushed home and there is no fuel leakage from an injector pipe.
Dennis.

Top Bottom