First Day......OK

RPinsono

Gary,
Again, thanks for the info. It is very useful.
We are in Polk City, Fl. at Mount Olive Shore North. Although we are in New Hampshire for the Holidays currently. Let us know when you are in the area, I would love to see your set up.

Dick

bikergar

This looks like another situation where a "mechanical" (unchipped) key would be handy...
it would unlock the wheel, and power the "key on" circuits,
but would not allow the vehicle to be actually -started-

a fascinating rig
--dick
Dick

If I just inserted an unchipped key would the steering still unlock or would I have to turn the key to the first position?

gary

bikergar

Gary,
Again, thanks for the info. It is very useful.

Dick
Dick

There are way too many DICKS around here:lol:.

The only anomaly I've found is with a key in the ignition the remote locks are disabled and you have to unlock and lock the doors the old fashoned way.

gary

monacodynasty

I Gary, I'm very interested in the way you were able to get the Sprinter to be flat towable, did you disconnect the driveline or want other options did you use.
Also want is the weight of you cargo van & what is the hp of your Eagle. We're looking at a 325 hp Dynasty.

Ron
ronse1@msn.com
541-324-3600

maher01

08 Passenger/work 144 van
Ron,
Gary used a Remco trans. pump, roadmaster tow bar bracket, and diodes for tow wiring.

I also tow my new sprinter from New Hampshire to Florida, its a passenger van, 7,000 lbs.+- depending on load inside, harley rides on a lift on the back of my coach. My coach 400 HP Imperial, I disconnect the driveshaft when I leave and don't reconnect until I arrive in Florida or return trip to New Hampshire, works great! Hope this helps. Tom

TramDogs

Hi there!

Forum newbie here and soon to be sprinter owner. :)

Hoping someone out there might be able to follow up on this thread with any new and improved info.

We're hours away from pulling the trigger on an 04 2500 158 Sprinter. Absolutely plan to flat tow behind our 38' Holiday Rambler 330DP as we're traveling full-time (not daily, but weekly maybe in summer) 100-300 miles/week, using Sprinter as our get-a-way car/garage for bikes, gear, etc.

Last week we were at a car dealer who actually had an 05 (or 06) for sale that was already set up to flat tow via driveline disconnect. Yep - we were stoked!!!
To make a long story short, the dealer SOLD the van while we were getting our funds together :-( so we're back to square one.

After doing tons of research again to figure out the best way to get this set up once we make our purchase, I can't seem to find a complete/straight answer between all the calls I'm making and websites/forums I'm researching.

However, this thread, among several others, are helpful in encouraging us that it IS doable - but I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure it all out.

Questions:

1. Lube pump VS drive line disconnect and why?

2. I heard a rumor that remco was no longer making a dld for sprinter - if so what other options are there?

3. Is there a shop in the SW (NV, AZ, UT, CA, NM) that has set this up for anyone OR is it a DIY project for a fairly mechanical person (not me)?

4. What braking system and why?

5. Which base plate kit?

6. What am I missing here?

We would love to hear from anyone who's been successfully flat-towing their Sprinter and get some insight on the best way to make it work for us!

Any help, input, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Michelle

Top Bottom