6 hours later, minus a car and $200+.....

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
... the guy who parked next to me at the beach, who left and left his car running, knocks on my open side door.

"Do you know what happened to my vehicle that was parked here?" :thinking:

I gave him the name of the towing company.

lindenengineering

Ah Ha
That reminds me of someone who parked a company Range Rover on the beach and dry river bed in Anare.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...49!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1

The user one Harry from Liverpool having "disappeared" into the fauna and flora with a hot Ven Chick wearing only a tanga, the heavens opened up and the car was on its way to Trinidad like a yellow submarine.:lol:

To ease the shock I faxed a message to Woody the chief sales executive about to fly to Maiquetia from Heathrow that he should disembark at its first stop in Piarco.
His "loverly Rangie" should be waiting for him on the beach!:idunno::laughing:
I even offered to get a lively calypso band from PTSC in Trinidad to welcome him upon arrival but he wasn't too amused!
Some people are never satisfied !:thumbdown:
Dennis

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
This was a new 2019 Infinity Q50, and the driver has it only 2 weeks now.

The idling engine was surprisingly quiet, so I could see how he didn't hear that it was still on.

The puzzling part for me is, although a key is not required to start the engine and I have no idea how these types can be turned off, I would have thought that it would be programmed to shut off after a set time. It was still running near 2 hours when it was towed away. :idunno:

Last edited:

lindenengineering

This was a new Infinity Q50, driver has it for 2 weeks only.

The idling engine was surprising quiet, so I could see how the owner didn't hear that it was still on.

The puzzling part for me is, although a key is not required to start the engine and I have no idea how these types can be turned off, I would have thought that it would be programmed to shut off after a set time. It was still running near 2 hours when it was towed away. :idunno:
This has been an old question posed by people who want to prevent suicide by CO exhaust poisoning in locked household garages.
The only cars I know off that have an instant shut down are Toyota Hybrids ,possibly some of the other similar brands are so equipped since Nissan used the Toyota Aisin system.

Once traction battery charge levels are reached it shuts down --until --due to natural discharge it starts up again to top off, then shuts down. If you want it to start stop cycle more often turn on the A/C system since the compressor is electrically driven! All Gen 2's up have this feature since they have electronic driven A/C compressors.

I do know of one instance in salvage yard where a Toyota Gen 1 Prius was left running all week end simply auto stopping & starting until it was discovered on a Monday morning.
Of course this can work two ways!
Working on these vehicles you MUST take the keys far enough away as to prevent auto start.
Several instances of techs doing oil/filter services etc, and then to return only to find the ICE has been running dry!
Then of course the scary probability of working on one with you fingers in it & it starts up--without removing the key to a far away safe place as a preventative measure!
Dennis

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I'm not clear about this.

Was it towed because it was left running, or because some parking regulation (time?) had been violated?

:cheers: vic
I called bylaw enforcement. They ticketed and called for an impound.

In Vancouver the law specifies that a vehicle shall not be idled for longer than 3 minutes in any given 60 minute time frame.

It was parked next to my open side door, and windows, with the ocean breeze not in my favour its exhaust was more the issue than the droning.

On the weekends and specifically this holiday one, all the park lots fill up by 10:00am. So I arrived for the day just after 8:00am. Moving to another and Sprinter and fireworks night friendly spot was not happening.

Plus, the car could have been stolen and abandoned.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In Vancouver the law specifies that a vehicle shall not be idled for longer than 3 minutes in any given 60 minute time frame.

It was parked next to my open side door, and windows, with the ocean breeze not in my favour its exhaust was more the issue than the droning.
Back in 1973 i was driving a VW "Station Wagon" around in Kenya. (solar eclipse chasing)

Towards the end of our 18-day rental, the battery split in half.

We could manually push-start the VW (the benefits of a self-exciting "generator" over an "alternator"),

VWpush.jpg

and then we'd leave it running allllllll daaaayyyyy.

My memories of watching a quarter million flamingos in Lake Nakuru have a background sound track of the VW putt-putting in the background.

Of all the vehicles that Avis rented for that period (cars, Land Rovers, VWs), we were the *only* one to return under our own power on the assigned day. All of their other rentals, including those with Avis-supplied drivers, broke down and had to be towed in.

--dick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

This has been an old question posed by people who want to prevent suicide by CO exhaust poisoning in locked household garages.
The only cars I know off that have an instant shut down are Toyota Hybrids ,possibly some of the other similar brands are so equipped since Nissan used the Toyota Aisin system.

Once traction battery charge levels are reached it shuts down --until --due to natural discharge it starts up again to top off, then shuts down. If you want it to start stop cycle more often turn on the A/C system since the compressor is electrically driven! All Gen 2's up have this feature since they have electronic driven A/C compressors.

I do know of one instance in salvage yard where a Toyota Gen 1 Prius was left running all week end simply auto stopping & starting until it was discovered on a Monday morning.
Of course this can work two ways!
Working on these vehicles you MUST take the keys far enough away as to prevent auto start.
Several instances of techs doing oil/filter services etc, and then to return only to find the ICE has been running dry!
Then of course the scary probability of working on one with you fingers in it & it starts up--without removing the key to a far away safe place as a preventative measure!
Dennis
Caution relating to Cold Box equipped Sprinter's. The PSM or Parametrization Module is configurable to auto-start a Sprinter to maintain and support cold box refrigeration system.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Back in 1973 i was driving a VW "Station Wagon" around in Kenya. (solar eclipse chasing)

Towards the end of our 18-day rental, the battery split in half.

We could manually push-start the VW (the benefits of a "generator" over an "alternator"),

View attachment 116550

and then we'd leave it running allllllll daaaayyyyy.

My memories of watching a quarter million flamingos in Lake Nakuru have a background sound track of the VW putt-putting in the background.

Of all the vehicles that Avis rented for that period, we were the *only* one to return under our own power on the assigned day. All of their other rentals, including those with Avis-supplied drivers, broke down and had to be towed in.

--dick
Looking over the Global Warming charts, it appear this event was around the time it all got started. :lol:

lindenengineering

Caution relating to Cold Box equipped Sprinter's. The PSM or Parametrization Module is configurable to auto-start a Sprinter to maintain and support cold box refrigeration system.
Well I thought were talking about cars here!:thinking:
If we move to COMMERCIAL VEHICLES then a whole lot of auto start innovations are included to protect cargo.
Dennis

lindenengineering

Yes in your State you can only idle for 5 minutes with a diesel commercial vehicle . Hence the need for APU's (Calif CAFE compliant of course ) and other devices like Refer units which are exempt--so far!

Across the country there are numerous states that have City by Laws prohibiting extended diesel idling on commercial vehicles no matter the reason. Grand Junction Co comes to mind recently and ticketing of a road crew fixing city streets, causing some fur to fly.
Dennis

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
aka ^ Ol' fashionable and handy; while driving a new Mercedes-Benz, I noticed when stopped (at a traffic light (foot on brake) with-in three seconds the quiet engine turned off. And lifting the foot off the brake restarted the ICE. Never needed to turn off the engine, when stopped just put it in park.

Last edited:

Top Bottom