Seeking recommendations for conversion shops around Portland, OR

pdxhiker

Looking for a few recommendations for a shop in the Portland, OR area to perform minimal conversion including sound deadening, insulation, wiring, heater install, and bed system. Not looking for cabinets, kitchen etc.

pdxhiker

Call Adventure Wagon and ask them for a recommendation. They have local independent installers they can refer you to: www.adventurewagon.com

There are also some reputable custom van companies in the area, but these typically cater to full build-outs. Outside Van probably does some of the finest work around:

Outside Van: https://www.outsidevan.com/
Van Specialties: https://www.vanspecialties.com/
Benchmark: https://www.benchmarkvehicles.com/contact
thanks, I will reach out to all three of them. I have known outside van it would be worth checking if they do bare minimum conversion.

hein

Van Guru
Looking for a few recommendations for a shop in the Portland, OR area to perform minimal conversion including sound deadening, insulation, wiring, heater install, and bed system. Not looking for cabinets, kitchen etc.
Insulation is an easy DIY project using Thinsulate SM600L. There is really no need for additional noise control when using Thinsulate so that reduces the effort and cost considerably. Come on out to visit us in Hood River and we'll show you how to do it. We also can recommend some local up-fitters who can do à La Carte work for you.

We can also answer the multitude of questions you must have and give you honest advice on your conversion plans. We would be honored to help.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Hey Pdxhiker, I'm looking for the same as you in your original question. What all did you find out & did you make a decision? Thanks!

We've been checking out Van Specialties, seem to know what they are doing but definitely spendy. Just trying to figure out the best cost vs budget solutions.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
My friends had their 2015 Sprinter conversion done by Van Specialties. The work was top notch and the price was less than other major van shops. I like that they post their prices. My friends spent about $35k in 2015 for a layout similar to the Revel but no shower. I used their “pre Revel” layout as the basis for my van. Reportedly Outside Vans was formed by ex Van Specialty employees and Outside Vans uses Van Specialties for some of their work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Want to complete the info circle here, we wound up hiring Van Specialties & are happy with the results. Pretty basic job, roof rack, roof fan, awning, 100w solar w/ controller, aux battery, some lights, etc. Not cheap but probably not over priced, they did a good job & were responsive with questions & options. Recommended. Hope this helps.

rinkratrob

Insulation is an easy DIY project using Thinsulate SM600L. There is really no need for additional noise control when using Thinsulate so that reduces the effort and cost considerably. Come on out to visit us in Hood River and we'll show you how to do it. We also can recommend some local up-fitters who can do à La Carte work for you.

We can also answer the multitude of questions you must have and give you honest advice on your conversion plans. We would be honored to help.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Hein - Just got my van and jumping in this thread. Live in Tigard, but may head out your way to discuss. Thanks for the post! - Rob

TEDR

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE VAN SPECIALTIES.

Top Bottom