'02 Sprinter

jgventura

Good morning. Been lurking for awhile. Former Freightliner Sprinter mechanic. I purchased my Sprinter in '14 and am starting to get stuff together for conversion. I've seen many amazing setups so am trying to figure this all out.

Ultimately would like to have the following:

Solar. Definitely off grid power. However, in the meantime (have to buy stuff here and there so can't go all in unfortunately) wondering if can wire up for shore power and eventually integrate solar... assuming having both are possible? For exterior i want to avoid drilling roof as much as possible so if solar done considering no drill panel mounts (realize will need the entry gland and drilled holes for cables). Looking at the Renogy 100w slim panels (46.9x19.7") so not sure if i will have the room to mount lets say (4) panels with those no drill mounts with space to spare for roof fan & potential a/c... maybe a roof rack worth considering? Also, rather than spend $250+ for a ladder, thinking of using the folding down steps which i already own.

For kitchen ideally want induction cooktop & MAYBE convection microwave, no gas. Already own 12" deep cabinets but will need to be modified to fit. I just purchased a new in box Vitrifrigo DP2600 ac/dc fridge for $800 & while it's a "behemoth" by van standards, i couldn't pass it up at that price. Would like a sink & shower setup but don't necessarily need that inside van, so maybe electric water pump & heat. Have a Thetford Curve toilet with the floor mounting plate.

For comfort & entertaining, i have a Maxxair Deluxe. I think that will help tremendously with the humid New England summers and moving all that stagnant air but being an '02, i have factory rear a/c under van so running that with vehicle off is out of the question as its tied into front a/c. Already have dynamat & reflectix. Low on the wish list might be a Coleman Mach 8 type unit (unsure if this can heat also?) I want to have a ceiling mounted flip down TV viewable from bed somehow integrated with vehicle audio system. Ability to charge mult. devices a must. Also led lighting, preferably dimmable. 

For bed, i would like to have a removeable platform setup, maybe a tri fold full or queen. Would like to be able to walk from front to back of van and be able to utilize as utility if needed with bed out. 

I dont want to sound like im biting off more than I can chew, i dont expect to do all this at once. i know theres a plethora of resources out there so any info or suggestions tremendously appreciated. thank you! 

-Jovan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
There is no reason you can't install a house battery with alternator and/or shore power charging. Just make sure it gets a good full charge every 3-5 days, and don't let it sit at low SOC for long periods. If you just want some 120V outlets, you can run an extension cord out the body skirts, and use a power bar in the van.

The fold down steps would require large backing plates. Otherwise the vans sheetmetal will buckle or wrinkle. It is possible to rig up some steps on the rear door using the hing mounting points. Similar to how some of the spare tire carriers mount.

An induction cooktop is going to add many thousands of dollars to your electrical setup. batteries, solar, inverter. Make sure you really want/need it. I love mine, but it was not inexpensive.

With a 158wb, I would strongly consider a permanent bed. Especially for longer trips. Setting up and taking down a bed is a pain. You have plenty of space to work with anyways.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
What is your usage case? How are you going to use the van? Length of trip, number of occupants, locations of stay, weather, etc.

jgventura

There is not reason you can't install a house battery with alternator and/or shore power charging. Just make sure it gets a good full charge every 3-5 days, and don't let it sit at low SOC for long periods. If you just want some 120V outlets, you can run an extension cord out the body skirts, and use a power bar in the van.

The fold down steps would require large backing plates. Otherwise the vans sheetmetal will buckle or wrinkle. It is possible to rig up some steps on the rear door using the hing mounting points. Similar to how some of the spare tire carriers mount.

An induction cooktop is going to add many thousands of dollars to your electrical setup. batteries, solar, inverter. Make sure you really want/need it. I love mine, but it was not inexpensive.

With a 158wb, I would strongly consider a permanent bed. Especially for longer trips. Setting up and taking down a bed is a pain. You have plenty of space to work with anyways.
Would a 30A outlet be for generator hookup only? I know they make 15A to 30A adapters assuming lets say plugged in at home, but having never seen an RV site at a campground, unsure what they have for outlets . Maybe 30A would be wiser in the long run?

In regards to ladder steps, i'm trying to think of reinforcement for interior. i can get 5" 1/4" thick flat stock from my buddies shop, but im not sure if 5" is enough to distribute... thats also HEAVY. Have to brainstorm more on that one, may just be worth it to buy a ladder afterall... in regards to roof rack are my only options the Vantech ladder rack & ultra expensive Aluminess custom racks? If so, definitely would go with Vantech just unsure how many bars needed...

Also, i totally want to do solar 100%, but am VERY green with the topic. Pardon my ignorance especially if this is considered basic electricy, but say i have a 400w solar system and an 1800w induction top, does that mean i couldnt use the top? Or is it more dependant on the battery? Would like to go with a lithium batt. just biggg money. Was looking at 2000w inverter

I came across a thread where someone modified harbor frieght atv ramps for a bed build, so i like the idea of a modular lightweight design. Maybe a murphy bed type setup? I think that would take up more roon though...

Regarding shower, looking for very low profile if inside van, outside the van could car less but havent seen any specific examples. (See pic attached for example)

Lastly, i've seen some people utilize CAD drawings of interor to virtually "build" layout... any idea how i might be able to go about that?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Reading through the popular threads in the conversion talk and writeups will take a while, but you will learn everything you need to know.

Some reading on electrical system design.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36885

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58448

My build writeup is in my signature. There are lots of great builds on here to learn from.

Electrical systems are best approached from the bottom up. Educate yourself on watts, amps, volts. DC vs AC, etc. Once you have the basics, you can start to flush our your needs, and system requirements. It is temping to just start at the fun/obvious bits, but you will miss the detail heavy parts that actually make for a safe, reliable, and cost effective system (wiring sizes, charging, fuses, etc).

Google Sketchup is free and easy to use 3d modeling software. It is not as advanced as professional 3d/2d cad software, but it works for many.

There is also Cardboard Aided Design (CAD). There is great value in full scale mockups. Many issues that are not apparent on a screen reveal themselves.

jgventura

Reading through the popular threads in the conversion talk and writeups will take a while, but you will learn everything you need to know.

Some reading on electrical system design.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36885

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58448

My build writeup is in my signature. There are lots of great builds on here to learn from.

Electrical systems are best approached from the bottom up. Educate yourself on watts, amps, volts. DC vs AC, etc. Once you have the basics, you can start to flush our your needs, and system requirements. It is temping to just start at the fun/obvious bits, but you will miss the detail heavy parts that actually make for a safe, reliable, and cost effective system (wiring sizes, charging, fuses, etc).

Google Sketchup is free and easy to use 3d modeling software. It is not as advanced as professional 3d/2d cad software, but it works for many.

There is also Cardboard Aided Design (CAD). There is great value in full scale mockups. Many issues that are not apparent on a screen reveal themselves.
Thank you much

Top Bottom