POLL: Microwave/Convection issues

Microwave/Convection oven status (check all that apply)

• Total voters

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
It appears there may be some issues with insufficient enclosure tolerances for the microwave ovens in the Unity. Please contribute to the poll with your particular situation...

Last edited:

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
I have had no issues with mine to date BUT - it is also the case that I never prepare meals that require that require anything even close to 10 or more minutes of microwave cooking.

J&B

2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge
My wife baked a frozen pizza using the convection cycle on the micro. She set the preheat to 375 degrees and bake time 28 minutes. It took a few minutes for the preheating. This was the first time using the convection oven and a chemical smell was detected so she turned on the Fantastic Fan above the microwave to help evacuate the yucky smell. It was a very hot day outside and we had the AC running so the inside temp was nice and cool. The overhead AC vents are real close to the microwave, and the cold air was blowing directly in front of the micro. She reached up and touched the overhead ceiling panel and said it was very hot to the touch. The microwave functioned OK and did not turn off during the 28 minute cooking convection cycle @375 degrees. However, I would caution others when using the convection cycle to be aware of the very hot air being blown out of the oven. Don't know if she prevented a shut off by turning on the overhead fan and pointing the AC air duct towards the oven. Maybe not:idunno: J&B

andrewj

Pulled the micro out as part of my solar install and wire fishing work. Very easy, a few scews in the facia and it slides out. It is just plugged into a hidden outlet. Inside you will see a nonvented box lined with foil faced fiberglassed insulation. It is a vey tight space with no air space or gaps. The only circulation potential is within the steel box enclosing the micro. It is all part of the unit that slides out

If the poll shows an issue I am sure we can figure a fix.

2013 IB

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
So far it appears that the convection oven is the main culprit in the overheating saga. Makes sense, as the convection is actually creating heated air during the convection process. Now will need to look into the installation tolerances recommended by the manufacturer.

Could everyone try their convection oven to determine the outcome? Maybe 375 degrees for 15 minutes would be a good test?

Thanks!

J&B

2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge
Yep, inside the oven there is a large coil on the topside. Used for browning and baking. It sounds like there is a built in safety mechanism that will shut off the micro convection which we are grateful for. J&B

J&B

2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge
Hoping the overhead vinyl ceiling will hold up overtime when subjected to the intense heat thrown off from the oven. J&B

MarkCooperstein

2014 Unity TB
Had a power failure at my house right in the middle of dinner preparation. I still had a vegetable casserole to cook in the oven, but as the power was out I decided to take it out to the RV and crank up the generator and cook it using convection. My thoughts: it got hot as hell. The wood below the microwave got real hot, not a good thing. I would not recommend using the convection oven for anything that requires long cooking times or high temperatures. It's just not safe imho. I've had no problems cooking things with the microwave however.

Mark

Last edited:

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
I guess no one has had a fire or serious heat damage yet. I wonder if LTV has heard owner concerns directly about this safety issue? I for one would like to hear directly from Triple E on this. Convection oven users beware!

I guess no one has had a fire or serious heat damage yet. I wonder if LTV has heard owner concerns directly about this safety issue? I for one would like to hear directly from Triple E on this. Convection oven users beware!
I agree, we need to ask LTV because there may not be a serious problem and if there is then LTV I'm sure would love to know.... if there's a problem it could be faulty microwaves as well.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Our microwave does draw considerable amps and will trip the fuse especially if the A/C is running. I don't think it is the heat that causes it, but the cheap microwave pulling more amps than it is supposed to do.

J&B

2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge
Were you plugged into 30Amp shore power when the fuse was tripped? We had our AC on and Convection oven baking a pizza and TV/DirectDVR Receiver and Sat Antenna Dish up and going without a problem. The microwave did put out a lot of heat on the Convection cycle, but never turned off.

Our HighPointe Microwave Model:EC028KD7 Specs are:

Voltage 120V-60Hz
Rated Input Power (Microwave): 1500W
Rated Output Power (Microwave): 1000W
Rated Input Power (Convection): 1500W
Oven Capacity: 1.1 Cu Ft

12.5 Amps (?)

J&B

aljimenez

Don't know the answers to your questions precisely. However, specs are not precise from unit to unit; I have a feeling that our microwave may not be within specs.

An experiment we did this past weekend gives us a good feeling about using it from now on. We set the power below 100%, and guess what? The microwave worked better than ever before! It heated up and worked even with the A/C and on generator power. This is what we plan to do now, use the power setting to use less than 100%

aljimenez

Our microwave/convection oven is failing (failed). Sometimes when it gets power, the light comes on and the tray is turning; no microwave power is on nor any convection power is on. I have found that banging on the floor tray, often stops the tray from turning and the light from turning on. But then when one places something on the tray to microwave, the light stays on and the tray turns after the door is closed. Sometimes repeating this a few times eventually results in no light and no turning; then using the buttons to start the microwave works fine. When this failure is on, namely light on and tray turning, the buttons on the microwave controls do not work.

I have called LTV service and left a message a couple of days ago, but have not received a return phone call yet. Anyone have any experience with this problem? Anyone has any suggestions? I am tempted to take the appliance out and see if any problem is obvious under the floor.

hotfudge

2015.5 Unity TB
Our microwave/convection oven is failing (failed). Sometimes when it gets power, the light comes on and the tray is turning; no microwave power is on nor any convection power is on. I have found that banging on the floor tray, often stops the tray from turning and the light from turning on. But then when one places something on the tray to microwave, the light stays on and the tray turns after the door is closed. Sometimes repeating this a few times eventually results in no light and no turning; then using the buttons to start the microwave works fine. When this failure is on, namely light on and tray turning, the buttons on the microwave controls do not work.

I have called LTV service and left a message a couple of days ago, but have not received a return phone call yet. Anyone have any experience with this problem? Anyone has any suggestions? I am tempted to take the appliance out and see if any problem is obvious under the floor.
Unfortunately, your MW is at least three years old, been bounced around over hill-and-dale and is definately LONG out of warranty....both LTV's and the manufacturers. Even if it could be repaired, it probably would be cost prohibitive and would be best to replace.

KES

Like others, I also have over heating issues when using the convection function of the Highpointe EC028BSC oven. See my post of 11-1-2014 http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=334424&postcount=3 . I mentioned this issue in last year’s LTV Owners survey. I assume much of this survey input was used in the design and roll out of the Unity Flex. Does anyone know what oven unit LTV has installed in the Unity Flex? I see from the other thread that folks have replaced the Highpointe with a Panasonic unit – something I too will consider.

Top Bottom