Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity

Old 01-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #11
slinkblot

Default Re: Chassis battery died on 2018 Serenity

We haven't had an issue since that one time. We're still bringing the Serenity into the RV Dealership where we bought it to have the chassis battery tested. They are going to order a new battery if they find any fault with it.
slinkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #12
pfflyer

Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,237 Posts

I don’t have your make or model but, like previously said they are all built similar. If you haven’t started the engine in two weeks that’s about how long my chassis battery will last without being charged some how. The Co2 monitor and coach power steps are at least 2 items that are powered off the chassis battery and will drain the chassis battery over time. I am sure there are more but when in storage and plugged into shore power, I plug a battery tender in the 12v socket under the ashtray to keep the chassis battery happy. Congratulations on your purchase by the way.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis

Last edited by pfflyer; 01-08-2018 at 04:57 PM.
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:32 PM   #13
slinkblot

Started out on a trip and the battery was dead... again. After a jump, we got it into a Mercedes service center and they replaced the battery. No more problems or worries on the trip with regard to the battery! It failed all tests, by the way!
slinkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
4wheeldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkblot View Post
Started out on a trip and the battery was dead... again. After a jump, we got it into a Mercedes service center and they replaced the battery. No more problems or worries on the trip with regard to the battery! It failed all tests, by the way!
A small percentage of all new stuff is defective. Hopefully, it was just a bad battery from the get go, and your problems are behind you.
It is also entirely possible that the battery was run down accidentally during coach construction, and left dead.........And it was jumped or charged before shipping it out. This seriously shortens a battery's life at best, and can kill it immediately at worst.
So it may not have been the manufacturer's or MB's fault, but the fault of the assemblers.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #15
EBH

It is all spelled out in MB manual, re: battery maintenance .
It is worth well to read it and get up to date on your vehicle and handling procedures .
I'm on my second Sprinter and always learn something new.
Enjoy!!
EBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:15 AM   #16
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,627 Times in 4,042 Posts

There's a date code stamped on the positive post. At least on Varta batteries

For optimum vehicle electrical system and battery performance, the owner's manual and Builders Equipment Guide suggests battery maintainer for storage longer than three weeks.

Last I checked, my battery was 5.5 years old and I always use a maintainer. Storing vehicle indoors, especially during winters and northern latitudes, may contribute to longer battery life.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote