u-joint

Hi, has anyone tried to drill into the famous non serviceable u-joints and putting a grease fitting?? Oddly enough my rear u-joint seized up. Never seen that happen to a vehicle which is in constant use. I have it moving free with a little resistance. I am sure if I could tap into it and put some grease it'll give me several more miles.
Thanks to all that respond.:bow::bow:
Mike

Not practical.

The bearing cups are fairly hard steel.

The U-joints that come with a center grease fitting also include passages through the "X" to channel grease out to the end bearings. A non-grease "X" is solid.

U-joints having one grease fitting on one cup have similar grease passages.

You may be able to slip a grease needle under or through the seal to inject a bit of grease into each bearing. That will be a temporary measure at best. You may damage the seal.

Even if you can properly grease the freed bearings...
If the U-joint seized the bearings are damaged. A bit of added grease may buy some time. The bearings don't see true rotating service, but even the limited movement on damaged bearings will eventually result in failure. Actually the back and forth limited motion service cycle may be tougher service for roller bearings than a true rotation. A catastrophic failure can ruin your day.

vic

Not practical.

The bearing cups are fairly hard steel.

The U-joints that come with a center grease fitting also include passages through the "X" to channel grease out to the end bearings. A non-grease "X" is solid.

U-joints having one grease fitting on one cup have similar grease passages.

You may be able to slip a grease needle under or through the seal to inject a bit of grease into each bearing. That will be a temporary measure at best. You may damage the seal.

Even if you can properly grease the freed bearings...
If the U-joint seized the bearings are damaged. A bit of added grease may buy some time. The bearings don't see true rotating service, but even the limited movement on damaged bearings will eventually result in failure. Actually the back and forth limited motion service cycle may be tougher service for roller bearings than a true rotation. A catastrophic failure can ruin your day.

vic
To late, non serviceable drive shafts already ruined my day!!:tongue::tongue::tongue:
Was thinking it was solid but hoping against it.
Thanks
Mike

ajakapari

Just replaced the drive shaft last week after 500000 miles .. At dealer parts + labor 1400$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom