regen tool

sailquik

I'm sure you do not want to hear this, but the only "for sure" place to get a forced regen on your
DPF is your nearest authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer.
Roger

Thats what the MB fella told me as well, always room for hope. BTW how can you tell if it stops doing the regen on its own???
Thanks

showkey

Thats what the MB fella told me as well, always room for hope. BTW how can you tell if it stops doing the regen on its own???
Thanks

There is no way to know until you get a CEL.
As mentioned prior many drivers do not feel the REGEN when it is occurring.
The onlying way I know it happening on my RV is boost ( MAP) is limted to about 30 during the regen process. Some drivers report an exhaust note change or high heating of the exhaust that can make heat expansion type noises.
Ultra Gauge.......can monitor exh temp with special PID, so that would tell when regen is running.

A scan tool that talks MB will give a several data values on DPF efficiency.
A generic scan tool will not give these values or information.

Last edited:
There are other tools that work IF the shop has spent the money to get access. My mechanic has a Snap On Solus and he spent the money due to his need for access on VW's, Audi's and MB's. I have done the forced regen with it personally so I know 100% it works. I was also able to initialize the new DPF, and many other things. If you have a local mechanic with this tool and he has spent the money it will work.

And as Showkey stated buy the Ultragauge and monitor exhaust temp and when #2 sensor is around 1100 degrees you know its in Regen.

freeman

I was having issues with exhaust sensor readings incongruent one reading lower than the other, Mechanic plugged it into his high tech diagnostic computer, he said dpf issue, look into dpf delete, having researched this found that all the dpf deletes have been removed from the internet EPA ? My CEL kept coming on again and again then I started going into limp mode, but stopping and restarting would reset, this on went on for months, then CEL stopped coming on but limp mode came on more frequently and even while I was driving. finally took it to the dealer for Regen at $142. It is now running fine , feels different, I am hopeful will post if anything else surfaces.

djsincla

Some drivers report an exhaust note change or high heating of the exhaust that can make heat expansion type noises.
That first regen can be a scary experience! Considerable heat is produced and causes a "burning" smell as the materials acclimate to the high heat. Happened recently on my 2015.

CDI203

if is too blocked and proses cant start via star diagnose,
meny times help remove dpf wash some solvent, burn gaslight(if not have)
or campfire embers
then cleaning with compressed air

other
liqui moly dpf reiniger
liqui moly dpf cleaner

Had the MB dealer do a force regen, he indicated that it is badly blocked and the DPF do have a life span and its at the end. 400,000 miles (650K's).
So before spending lot of money on a new one we are going to pull it and send it out to one of the bake shops that claim to be able to clean them.
Let you know how that goes.
Thanks for all the insight.

lindenengineering

For info
I have had great success in cleaning out DPF by soaking it in Berrymans carburetor cleaner bath.
A 5 gallon drum of it in fact will allow the unit to stand in the pail and you can pour the liquid in at one end and watch it start to flow through the matrix.

On really bad specimens I have use BG 109 soot buster to get it going as it comes in qrt bottles.

Once its reasonably clean, a flush through with a hose pipe will shift enough of the carbon plugging to allow a refit and then do a regen resetting parameters .
I/We use Autologic for that, but Snappy has some distinct advantages over many scanners in SOME aspects of diagnosis.
Now much of this is pointless unless you make sure the SS lines , hoses and the actual pressure differential sensor are reading right plus the thermocouples and NOX sensor of the scrubbing system as a whole.

On the DEF system MB makes an exchange unit available for $450 actual cost with the core charge is $650. Really for $450 its not a bad price to get a "new" one and save the fannying around with nasty chemicals and then cabbing the rig up the street doing a re-gen (de-soot)

On the other hand when you have an E class with this 3 litre stinking little diesel in it & with the DPF slung underneath that is only available from "over there" ! And at $1650 a pop & two weeks to get, the chem soak method becomes very attractive.
Dennis

Top Bottom