Egr valve issues? Replacement due to stripped bolt and exhaust leak

Carly

I had the Mercedes dealership recently replace a broken pipe from my egr to turbo. I think that what is was at least. I have a 2010 freightliner 2500. When checking out the egr they said I had one stripped bolt and a very minor exhaust leak. The fix would be to replace with a new egr valve and cost $2000. In searching the forums I’ve seen many of you have replaced it yourself and it was fairly simple. I don’t have much mechanical experience and tools although I did watch a quick you tube video and it seems very straightforward. For this reason I think eventually I’ll have a non Mercedes dealership mechanic work on it. My question is I’m having bucking from a low idle into the first gear or so which seems to be an egr symptom. Other than that it runs fine. I’m about to drive on a long road trip from Florida to New Jersey. Is it ok to drive with this bucking? Most of my driving will be highway and it doesn’t seem to effect it once I’m at higher speeds. Any input is appreciated.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If bucking doesn't lead to stalling, and I assume there is less bucking with less acceleration pressing, I's say it's ok. But stalling can be dangerous at intersections, so be careful

Can anyone here verify that low speed "bucking" is a symptom of a wonky EGR or small exhaust leak?

Sorry to throw sh*t into the game.

What if the "bucking" isn't just an EGR symptom? It could be an injector or other problem. An overfueling injector could ruin your day.

Is the idle smooth? Do you notice any smoke? Have you noticed a drop in mpg? If "no" to those then maybe no problem.

It might be best to address the bucking issue before heading out on a long trip.

:2cents: vic

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I called it a cough - low speed light on the throttle.
Upon cleaning the EGR, I found a single small carbon flake between its butterfly valve blade and the narrow seal. I suspect I could have cycled the key x6 and it would've cleared.
I removed and cleaned the EGR and cured the caugh. In this instance a single carbon flake was the cause.

D

Deleted member 50714

I realize you have a different engine. Check injector wiring riding hard on injector plumbing. OM 651 pictured.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

I called it a cough - low speed light on the throttle.
Upon cleaning the EGR, I found a single small carbon flake between its butterfly valve blade and the narrow seal. I suspect I could have cycled the key x6 and it would've cleared.
I removed and cleaned the EGR and cured the caugh. In this instance a single carbon flake was the cause.
Curious, if coating valve moving mechanism with dry slide would benefit valve operation and reduce carbon adhesion???

Attachments

Carly

Can anyone here verify that low speed "bucking" is a symptom of a wonky EGR or small exhaust leak?

Sorry to throw sh*t into the game.

What if the "bucking" isn't just an EGR symptom? It could be an injector or other problem. An overfueling injector could ruin your day.

Is the idle smooth? Do you notice any smoke? Have you noticed a drop in mpg? If "no" to those then maybe no problem.

It might be best to address the bucking issue before heading out on a long trip.

:2cents: vic

Idles fine, no smoke, no drop in mpg. I had the downpipe from egr to turbo replaced and it actually improved slightly. Doesn’t do it for first 20-30 min of driving.

Top Bottom