Replacing factory XSG2NA X2S Infotainment/GPS with Kenwood DNX571TR

frankoman

Finally, I had enough of the factory installed Infotainment/GPS and decided to replace it with Kenwood DNX571TR. I am not going to complain about the factory system GPS; there is plenty of it here on this forum.
The first obstacle I run into was the lack of information about the Riverpark XSG2NA X2S Infotainment unit. There is not a single web site with neither wiring diagram, or a drawing what is actually connected to the back of the unit. On the positive note, once the unit is removed, system connections are clearly listed and labeled. The new unit mounts directly into the existing enclosure but some rewiring is required. All the features work just as on the original factory unit with the exception of WIFI connection and I struggled with steering wheel controls. It looks; the original unit was modified to work directly with Mercedes Sprinter steering controls without any adapter, however that is not the case with the Kenwood unit. I found Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter that should be able to connect to the vehicle’s controls and take care of this issue. However, is it going to work, since Winnebago already modified the wiring for the steering controls?
Thanks, I appreciate any thoughts.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
I think I'd call Kenwood, since that's what you are installing. Might be a reason why the Riverpark XSG2NA X2S was the preferred OEM install. Not everything is plug and play.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Finally, I had enough of the factory installed Infotainment/GPS and decided to replace it with Kenwood DNX571TR. I am not going to complain about the factory system GPS; there is plenty of it here on this forum.
The first obstacle I run into was the lack of information about the Riverpark XSG2NA X2S Infotainment unit. There is not a single web site with neither wiring diagram, or a drawing what is actually connected to the back of the unit. On the positive note, once the unit is removed, system connections are clearly listed and labeled. The new unit mounts directly into the existing enclosure but some rewiring is required. All the features work just as on the original factory unit with the exception of WIFI connection and I struggled with steering wheel controls. It looks; the original unit was modified to work directly with Mercedes Sprinter steering controls without any adapter, however that is not the case with the Kenwood unit. I found Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter that should be able to connect to the vehicle’s controls and take care of this issue. However, is it going to work, since Winnebago already modified the wiring for the steering controls?
Thanks, I appreciate any thoughts.
Don't know what Winnebago did. On my Airstream installed Kenwood they used an adapter that tied into the Sprinter CAN bus near the radio with a wire tap into a small gauge wire. I think that is what most adapters do as the steering wheel controls are via the CAN bus.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
I have tinkered with my X2S and removed it to add a USB hub for additional charging. I think there is a special box to connect it to the steering wheel controls. Big deal of having the only ability to increase and decrease vol.
Swapping out for the Kenwood looks to be a simple task and I hope it allows for a more intuitive GPS usage. Does the Kenwood have Google Auto controls?

The river park unit already uses the Metra Aswc-1 unit to control then volume and such. It may need to be reprogrammed, but you should be able to reuse the one you have. At least it is used in my 2016 era.

I also had it with the Riverpark OEM and replaced it with a Rosen unit which I'm very happy with. The installer was having a challenge getting the steering wheel controls to work, so I told them to forget it. I can adjust the volume with the knob on the unit. I never used the steering wheel controls anyway.

2016 Itasca Navion 24J

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Is there anyway to reprogram this radio? It would be nice to have Google Auto controls.

What are most people's dislikes about of this radio? And what work around have you used? I think using the GPS is cumbersome and not so user friendly. I like that you can upgrade the maps for life but I have also used the features to store preprogrammed trips but then can't find where these routes are stored.

65RagTop

Is there anyway to reprogram this radio? It would be nice to have Google Auto controls.

What are most people's dislikes about of this radio? And what work around have you used? I think using the GPS is cumbersome and not so user friendly. I like that you can upgrade the maps for life but I have also used the features to store preprogrammed trips but then can't find where these routes are stored.
there is no way to "reprogram" your radio with the google auto feature... sorry
Android Auto and Apple Car Play are registered and payed for technologies and cannot be added later

as far as the navigation I believe it is Garmin based... my Kenwood is. have you tried using the Garmin Base Camp to save your routes? How are you creating and saving your routes?

not to be rude, but have you read the manual that came with said stereo? page 31 has what you may need

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/IM385_Nav_TR_K_En_00.pdf

Last edited:

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
there is no way to "reprogram" your radio with the google auto feature... sorry
Android Auto and Apple Car Play are registered and payed for technologies and cannot be added later

as far as the navigation I believe it is Garmin based... my Kenwood is. have you tried using the Garmin Base Camp to save your routes? How are you creating and saving your routes?

not to be rude, but have you read the manual that came with said stereo? page 31 has what you may need

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/IM385_Nav_TR_K_En_00.pdf
I have read everything that was provided to me from Winnebago and looking on line with regard to the "river park" radio. I do not have the Kenwood. There was no large manual document provided. The GPS maps is Rand McNally not Garmin. I use the Rand McNally Dock feature with the SD card loaded into my computer.

65RagTop

I have read everything that was provided to me from Winnebago and looking on line with regard to the "river park" radio. I do not have the Kenwood. There was no large manual document provided. The GPS maps is Rand McNally not Garmin. I use the Rand McNally Dock feature with the SD card loaded into my computer.
I assumed you had the Kenwood radio and not the River Park... my apologies

from everything I have read thus far the "river park" infotainment system is not quite up to par with other offerings. I myself am a fan of the Pioneer navigation line of multimedia units for their ease of use. Kenwood is what I prefer, but they are not as easy to use and have a ton of features. Alpine is also a great option especially if you are looking for a larger screen... they offer an 8" vs the competition at a mere 7". Support for these major brands is readily available and extensive.

I will be installing either a Kenwood or Alpine in my Sprinter within the next month... if it ever gets here

If the Android Auto is a deal breaker, I would go with the Pioneer 8200NEX (ease of use)

TravelTripper

I just ordered a Kenwood DNX695S. I've pulled the screen from my 2018 Winnebago ERA. Can someone kindly shed some light on how to remove the lower section to get to the brain of the XSG3NA?

My XSG3NA started to reboot constantly never showing any icons, only a white screen? I'm beyond the warranty and never really cared for this unit.

SafeTee

My question is... was the Sprinter's backup camera function adapted to your new Kenwood and if so, how was that done?

ArtistWithAView

2017 View J
I replaced my xite with a Pioneer. The installer was able to get the steering wheel controls to work by purchasing a new interface but could not get the camera to work. He called river park and was told the xite camera would only work with their equipment. I called the river park service manager and confirmed this.

Rather than tear up the inside of the wall running new wires I ran new wires up the trim and installed a new dual camera of higher quality than the original. While I was at it I installed a new monitor on the dash. This way I can always see what is on the screen. Since the new monitor has the ability to show a four way split, I can now see the hitch and my scooter and the view behind me. Best of all I can always see the GPS from my phone on the new pioneer all the time.

ArtistWithAView

2017 View J
I went with pioneer because that is what RiverPark sent me to replace the XITE unit with under warranty. The XITE never worked from day one and after over 50 calls to tech support, replacement of all components several times, attempted fixes by the developer in Europe I had enough. They were probably so sick of hearing from me and all my complaints to the dealer, Winnebago, and anywhere else they finally did the right thing. RiverPark was great to work with. No complaints about them

fdunham

I went with pioneer because that is what RiverPark sent me to replace the XITE unit with under warranty. The XITE never worked from day one and after over 50 calls to tech support, replacement of all components several times, attempted fixes by the developer in Europe I had enough. They were probably so sick of hearing from me and all my complaints to the dealer, Winnebago, and anywhere else they finally did the right thing. RiverPark was great to work with. No complaints about them
I have the older 2012 xsg2na with 3 cameras in a Winnebago Via. I just finished the install today of a Pioneer AVH 2500NEX and all my cameras work as they did before. I have not tried to hook up the steering wheel controls because I don't typically use them. Maybe in the future.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
What do you use for navigation?

I have the older 2012 xsg2na with 3 cameras in a Winnebago Via. I just finished the install today of a Pioneer AVH 2500NEX and all my cameras work as they did before. I have not tried to hook up the steering wheel controls because I don't typically use them. Maybe in the future.

gyrogypsy

I had a lot of intermittent operation and slow response issues with my Xite XSG3N. I upgraded the software with their great help, and it runs quite good now. You need a memory stick to perform the update.

Top Bottom