2018 V24D Awning slope

gyrogypsy

This appears on many newer Winnies, and others using the same awning mechanism. When the awning is extended, there is not enough slope for rain water to drain over the outside edge. It puddles in the middle trough formed by the two long sides until deep enough to run out in a torrent, usually on the lowest shorter side. When rolling up the awning, it requires a long broom or something to force the water puddles out of the center.

It appears to be that some new expanding frame pivot point location can provide a bit more slope and alleviate this problem. Has anybody else noted or resolved this issue?

billbo

User error? Your awning should adjust at each arm. Normally if you use the awning in rain shorten the side farthest from the entry door and let the rain run off that end. I don't think we have ever used the thing because it is just a sail, expensive sail, and if a strong gust comes up you can't get it retracted fast enough. Then you have a repair to do just to get on the road again. It seems almost every time we stop over in a place like around Denver, Chatfield SP, someone leaves an awning out while they go shopping etc. and it is wrapped over the top when they return. On the eastern side of Denver at the AFB I have been caught grilling in perfectly calm weather, sunny sky, no breeze when from nowhere a 50mph gust comes at me. You can see it coming but not in time to save an awning. That day I just grabbed the grill and it was over fast. Awning = expensive hassle. Mine was not out, never is, but several of those less informed lost awnings on big DPs.

gyrogypsy

��I have been called dumb as a post, but never dumb as an awning arm. I really don't see any place for adjustments. Could you please post some pictures? Am familiar with Chatfield location, but never camped there. We are on the Western Slope, and enjoy close sites like Lost Lake and Woods Lake.

WinnieView1

��I have been called dumb as a post, but never dumb as an awning arm. I really don't see any place for adjustments. Could you please post some pictures? Am familiar with Chatfield location, but never camped there. We are on the Western Slope, and enjoy close sites like Lost Lake and Woods Lake.
This awning manual may help if it's the same or similar model;
See; Adjusting the Pitch

P.S. The adjustment (if present) doesn't need to be reset when retracting the awning.

Attachments

billbo

Well, I never meant to offend. I've heard there is more than one model of awning on the 18V24D but on my awning the adjust is just like in the manual posted, pushbutton on each arm, sorta like adjusting an old tent pole. In any case extend the awning fully and on the end near the rear of coach push the button in and shorten that arm. Doing so will lower only that end and allow the rain water to flow off that end and not pool in the middle of awning. My last rig has a big knob you could twist to loosen tension, slide the arm in and retighten, much easier to operate. One last thought - don't forget to fully extend that end before retracting the awning again.

My awning is "bare", does not have the can cover on the top to "protect" the awning, perhaps the other one is not adjustable? I also do not have automatic retract or wind sensor as that manual posted shows, just in and out and pushbutton arm adjustments.

On my prior rig I always loosened the knobs and allowed the awning to fully extend, I notice prior post says you don't need to so I will try that and see what happens but watching closely to observe as I retract. My brain says the awning fabric will bunch and wrinkle on the short end if left that way for retraction - but if both arms are the same length - OK. Now shedding water you want one end shorter so not sure that will work to retract without issues.

Last edited:

gyrogypsy

I spent a lot of time with customer service in my Internet business, and the inside joke/acronym was "RYFM" = Read Your "Fine" Manual. My fault, and thank you both for not pointing out the obvious. It is now adjusted, and waiting for our next trip - hopefully as a sunshade and not an umbrella!

billbo

And...a tip of the hat to those western slope folks who struggle to keep public lands free and open.

The Western Slope No Fee Coalition

Top Bottom