Summit County Ski Area Parking (overnight)

bikebum

Ready to give the “Speedwagon” her first overnight up in the high country! I’ve got the D2 running, she worked like a charm at Gramd Canyon with outside temps at 17. The only overnight parking at a ski area i’m Aware of is in the upper lot at A-basin. I’ve heard Vail allows overnight for pay, which is fine, but unsure if they still allow.

Does anyone have experience with Keystone, Breck, or Beaver Creek locations for overnight?

I’m in a 170 wheel base, so a bit long. Do the parking lot attendants steer the bigger vehicles to a different lot? Thinking beach lot at A-basin May be a bit tight for her.

Thanks for any tips/experiences you’d be willing to share!

Ski Trip

if u are allowed to camp overnight at the upper abasin lot i would do that. there is also a few pull offs on the way up the pass and at the top (i believe that is Loveland pass?). id park it in that upper lot for sure though if that is allowed. nice and level, and then just jump on the ski trail across the street. u could fit a 170 down on the beach but u would have to wake up super early and move the van. that will also cost u a few bucks these days. they get a lot of money for beach spots now (worth it for sure april-june, mid winter not so sure).

for brek id inquire about the lot on airport rd, but there are much nicer spots than that in summit county. i probably would pass on airport rd even if allowed, thats a borderline zone. i feel like u could pull over just about anywhere. the top of hoosier pass for sure. have seen them off to the side of dillon dam rd across the street as well, as showkey pointed out (heard someone had a mountain lion encounter while camped out there!)

Have fun! That's fairly high altitude. Did you add an altitude kit and/or T to run kerosene? I'm in the process of installing my D2. I've been looking at it for awhile now. =) Not sure where to get the T for kerosene.

bikebum

Thank you for the suggestions! Yes, I installed the altitude kit on the D2. Love this heater. It's such a gentle heat source that truly works, yet I haven't tried below 17 degrees.

I'm also wondering about Beaver Creek. Seems prime for overnight, yet the town (Avon) may dis-allow overnight. Kind of tentative on the Walmart overnight, maybe I should just get over it... I have the kids and wife as well.

And oh yea, not looking for a Beach Spot, just a spot in that lot. I did put snows tires on her, haven't figured out a way to secure weight down properly yet for rear axles.

Last edited:

ENMeyer

I stayed in Aspen last night. D2 ran on medium-ish speed all night long. 20 degrees outside, 67 degrees inside.

We stayed in that ABasin upper lot last Summer, but they asked us to move at 11 pm, so we went higher up the pass and there was a good pull off. Probably snowed in, though, this time of year.

Beaver Creek has a lot of signs posted about no overnight camping in their bigger lots. If you don't mind being in East Vail, there's parking along the road that should work. Maybe even as far as under the highway by the campground.

RVCuisineScene

I used to live in Keystone. There is National Forest parking at the bottom of Keystone Gulch road which is located 1/2 mile south from the Mt House base area. I used to own the A-frame right next to the parking area. You could leave your van there and take the free resort shuttle to the area. Other options are parking areas off Montezuma Rd, go past all the new lodges and stuff, numerous areas to park.

bikebum

I stayed in Aspen last night. D2 ran on medium-ish speed all night long. 20 degrees outside, 67 degrees inside.
Tell me a bit about your van insulation and interior finishing? Mine is about 65% insulated and I used my home-made insulated window covers. Lots of exposed metal that was super cold. D2 was running on high all night, was only able to get the temp up to 46 degrees. Probably 8-10 outside. We were fine, but never able to get truly warm before heading out to ski.

A-Basin no longer allows upper lot camping. Bummer. We parked along 6 about 1 mile from Keystone. Piece of Cake.

ENMeyer

Tell me a bit about your van insulation and interior finishing? Mine is about 65% insulated and I used my home-made insulated window covers. Lots of exposed metal that was super cold. D2 was running on high all night, was only able to get the temp up to 46 degrees. Probably 8-10 outside. We were fine, but never able to get truly warm before heading out to ski.

A-Basin no longer allows upper lot camping. Bummer. We parked along 6 about 1 mile from Keystone. Piece of Cake.
Everything aft of the sliding door on my 144 is insulated, the sliding door, under the driver's side window and that's it. No insulation on the ceiling except aft of the slider. Mine's a crew, so I have the interior ceiling panels for 2/3rds of the ceiling.

I have home made window covers for the back doors, slider, and big side window and I clamp a cover to the visors and try to cover the windshield a little. Nothing on the driver or passenger window.

46 is very cold. I'm surprised it didn't get it warmer. I've been overnight in 5 degrees (Crested Butte) and had no problem keeping 65 degrees inside.

bikebum

46 is very cold. I'm surprised it didn't get it warmer. I've been overnight in 5 degrees (Crested Butte) and had no problem keeping 65 degrees inside.
Is the air coming out of your heater hot, or just warm? Mine is just warm air, can hold hand there entire time w/out hurting.

Looks like we are neighbors BTW.

ENMeyer

Is the air coming out of your heater hot, or just warm? Mine is just warm air, can hold hand there entire time w/out hurting.

Looks like we are neighbors BTW.
Hot. Too hot to hold my hand there.

I'll send you a PM.

RVCuisineScene

bikebum, I installed a D4 in my 3500 high roof extended last April. Used it last spring in CO, AZ, and UT worked great, this past November I used it in UT and CO, single digits outside close tom 80F inside. My van is insulated with Thinsulate and I made window covers out of Refletix, I can't keep my hand near the heater outlet when on high as its HOT air. I only run mine on high and turn it off when the van gets too hot, I do have the high altitude kit. I'm headed out to bike at Phil's World outside of Cortez for a few days and plan on using the Espar to keep warm.

SkyGypsy

I lived in Breckenridge for a winter in my van. Got by mostly on friends driveways. The town is not very friendly to overnight parking. Most places in town no overnight is allowed and will be enforced especially if it snows.

BUT! If you are at a bar and have a drink you can ask for a DRUNK PASS which is basically a do not disturb pass for a single night for your vehicle. I've actually parked in the south gondola lot with one before, and was not bothered. (On another occasion I was almost towed because I was parked there an hour after the cut off, sans pass.)

ALSO there is the airport road overflow lot. Overnight parking is allowed for i think $5 a night and you can stay there for a while.

There are several other private lots in town that say no overnight parking, but if you leave early enough you shouldn't have a problem...

bikebum

My buddy just commented that Summit County banned overnight vehicles (RV's & Van's) even at Walmart? Hope not...

Top Bottom