Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #31
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,182 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Low Top 118" wheel-base: Custom Roof Rack & Interior

Great work, I don’t think I fully understand your sofa bed system so please correct:
1. Front section is fixed
2. Mid-section is somehow hinged in the front and its rear edge tilts up to lock-up position
3. Rear section is on roller and moves fore and aft
4. There is no connection between the mid-section and the rear section.

To deploy to the bed position you need to do 2 operations:
1. Move the rear section back
2. Lower the mid-section down
Am I correct?

In my own design rock & roll style sofa bed I am using 100 lb. air spring to help lifting rear and mid-section (with 1/2" plywood and upholstery is rather heavy) works great but I am thinking to fully automate sofa > bed and bed > sofa operations with 2 linear actuators.

George.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #32
G100

George, You are correct on all of your points. Which part is confusing? Here is the basic steps you would take to lower the seat:
1. Pull the rear section back toward the rear doors. This will eventually have a latch you must release first to be able to move it.
2. Release the mid section by pulling up on the handle in the top middle of the mid section. It then tilts back into a reclined position that it can stay in. While in the reclined position this is when you can bring the seat belts up or move them down out of the way.
3. push the mid section down, it fits right into position with the rear section.

There is one part though that I may have touched on a little but didn't explain very much. It is mostly for how you get the sofa from bed position to seat position without have to bend over and break your back. I created a lever that is behind the drawer closest to the wall. It is highlighted in the picture below.

If you step on this lever and push down with your foot, it brings the mid section up to the reclined position, where you can then easily pull the top forward into the locked seat position. It was designed to be used both ways, pull up to put the mid section down into the bed position, but it so easy to just push the seat down that it isn't necessary for that but it can be used that way. It is though totally necessary for bringing it up though, it is so awkward to try and pull it up without it.

Thanks for your interest.
G100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #33
G100

Default Lets finish er' up

Sorry for the long hiatus, but here how I wrapped up this build. So starting from where I left off.
The "side table" was removed and painted and all panels were clear coated which really started to make things look good. Before I put the front back on the "side table" I got all the wiring done on the "switch panel" while I still had easy access to it.

This area is going to be a large storage spot with access from the top so I had to make sure to cover it all up nicely. The "lid" drops into place and is held down with some recessed neodymium magnets. It has a flush ring pull as a handle to pull it up. The "lid" sits flush with the rest of the shelf. My idea is this storage spot will probably hold pillows and blankets stuffed down inside. The back half has the cubbie hole with a LED light strip tucked up inside that is used as a night light and so you can see down into the secret hidding spot under the shelf of the cubbie (not pictured).

So you can see on the switch panel I have on the top a 12v plug and USB plugs then below that the dimmer switch for the interior LEDs is in a 3 way switch circuit with the other switch on the rear end of the "side table." So this way you can turn the interior lights on and off from the side door as well as the rear door or when you are in bed. Below the dimmer switch are two rocker switches for exterior LEDs. One switch illuminates a LED strip above the sliding door and the other switch illuminates a strip hidden on the siding door. You can see the location of the lights here in this shot.

So you might be wondering how I got the power to the lights on the siding door. Well I ordered a set of door contacts just like the ones factory installed on the backdoors.

Then I fabricated a mount that goes right above the rubber door stop on the slider to hold the "plate side". The "pins" side of the set was installed into a hole I cut into the door frame. So the light only get power when the door is open.

I then got around to making the walnut headboard for the back sliding portion of the bed system. I installed some remote latches so that it securely locks into the forward position while the seat is up.

So thats about it. I also installed surfboard racks up on the celling and installed removable storage bags on the walls so there is a spot for everything. Pretty happy with how it all turned out very function-able family van that easily turns into a super comfy camper. I'll post some pictures of it all setup for you all to check out the finished product.
The Following User Says Thank You to G100 For This Useful Post:
dodger413 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #34
Redive

Totally cool man. Lotta real creative solutions. I appreciate the effort you put into posting.
Redive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #35
G100

Default All Done!

Here is some photos I took, all done with this one, on to the next.
Enjoy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G100 For This Useful Post:
Badroadcamper (12-16-2016), marshroger@hotmail.com (12-19-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #36
lucho22

Hi, I can't find where to order the contact, any suggestions?, I can't find a part number or diagram, is there a manual with all the part numbers?, my two power contacts are damage, I have an sprinter 3500 year 2005 and the rear doors don't lock with remote because the contacts are broken.

You mentioned that you "http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMG_0120.jpg
So you might be wondering how I got the power to the lights on the siding door. Well I ordered a set of door contacts just like the ones factory installed on the backdoors."

Can you tell me where you order them please?
lucho22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #37
G100

Lucho22,

I just got it from the dodge dealership. I think the part number is 901-820 03 54.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #38
SprinterMeesh

Hi there,
I'm working on my 118" low-top, and this thread is super tantalizing, but I can't seem to view the photos. Any ideas?
SprinterMeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #39
ranchworld
'06 158 2500 Passenger

It is a common problem caused by the original poster using "photobucket" as a photo hosting site. That company is now no longer offering free hosting and has replaced all the original photos with the image you now see in the forum post. The only way to see the photos is for the original poster to re-do the photos. This is why the forum elders keep asking us to post the photos directly on this website, then they can't go away as long as the forum is up. You could also try to send the original poster a private message...
ranchworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 AM   #40
kiloloop

There are also some chrome and firefox extensions you can install to your browser that can help you see the photos
kiloloop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
118", awning, kayaks, roof rack