Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #31
bcman

Default Re: If you've ever lost your key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2Teach View Post
I was doing this mod on a friend's sprinter and figured i would take some more photos of the fob dissasembly. One is of the fob compared to the new key. Notice the black tape holding the fob together-its seen better days! In another photo you can see the way the chip is held in place with the white plastic piece. On some fobs the chip is glued in. On others the white piece holds it in place. If you carefully dissasemble the fob, remove the chip and then reassemble the fob, it still functions normally. You just now have the option of making your own spare keys, sans fob (as long as you followed the instructions in the first post of this thread).
Type2Teach, do you have any tips for disassembling the key fob? I've gotten the battery cover off no problem, but the rest of the case feels pretty solidly secured. I don't want to completely destroy my last OEM key.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #32
Burza

I dont know if my one and only key fob is my current problem. I was able to start the van to make sure the new lamps I installed worked. When I came back out to the van to go for drive, it would not start. acted a bit like battery was low. I checked and VOM read 12.5V. At some moment, I had pressed the key fob buttons, which I normally dont do. Not sure if fob is my issue. I turn the key and dash goes blank like battery is dead. I jump the car. all of the systems such as hazard lights and headlights work. Turn key to second position as if to start. All of the normal lights come on. but when I try to start the van, instrument lights flash a few times and no starting noise is made. There had been a message on the screen about start error. Fuses all look good. PO had some odd ones in there. I took those out. Radio, cig lighter and right rear lamp. Dont think they would prevent van from starting. Something is a preventing from starting.
Once I disconnect the helper car jumpers, van goes back to very odd behaviors of appearing to be low on battery. Again battery after being assisted for 20 mins, shows 12.6V on the VOM. Yet when putting the key into the ignition behaves very strangely. All lights on the instrument cluster go blank.

Prior to these issues I had run the van fine. I also did remove the fuse block on the battery to clean up a wire problem the PO had left unrepaired. Could my problem have been a hapchance with the ignition switch? Did I trigger something when I removed the fuse block on the battery? Do I need to get a lock smith out to fix the imoblizer issue? I only have the one key. It is also quite worn down.
Burza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #33
PATECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2Teach View Post
I was doing this mod on a friend's sprinter and figured i would take some more photos of the fob dissasembly. One is of the fob compared to the new key. Notice the black tape holding the fob together-its seen better days! In another photo you can see the way the chip is held in place with the white plastic piece. On some fobs the chip is glued in. On others the white piece holds it in place. If you carefully dissasemble the fob, remove the chip and then reassemble the fob, it still functions normally. You just now have the option of making your own spare keys, sans fob (as long as you followed the instructions in the first post of this thread).
Edit- Daveisdave made a good point that I forgot to mention- on *some* sprinters (like Daveisdave's) you will need to file down the part of the new key you hold with your thumb and finger. For some reason, the key won't seat deep enough in the ignition. I don't have a photo of any of the keys I've had to file down, but you can see on the original key that the flat shaft between the black fob and the cut part is a slight bit longer than the flat part on the new key. I'll try to find someone who I have had to file down their key and post a photo of it.

My last functioning key fob broke last week. So that I now had 3 broken fobs with detached keys. I searched arround, and found replacement fob cases with blank keys on E-bay

Mercedes 2-Button-Flip-Remote-Key-Shell-Case

When they arrived, I split open my original fobs, removed the chip, and the remote door lock control board, and transferred both into the new fob cases. then I also took the cut keys out of the broken old fobs and replaced the blanks that had come with the new fob cases. Snapped them together with a little gel super glue, and now I have three fully functional fob keys with remotes.

Be really careful with the button springs for the key flip. I had one get away, and had to hunt on the floor for it for quite some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key.jpg (89.7 KB, 65 views)
autostaretx (10-16-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:12 AM   #34
Jonessprinter

Does anyone know somewhere I can get mb17 keys quickly? Looks like ones on amazon are in China! Somewhere local? Tried dodge dealer, Walmart, lowes, ace, do it best. No blanks
Jonessprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 AM   #35
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 4,389 Times in 3,287 Posts

Prowl independent locksmiths... there is also a VW key that fits (at least as a mechanical)
(i'll add its number here if i can dig it up)

From my dusty records, for T1N Sprinters:
ILCO MB-17, DL YM19 <-- RFID
Bianchi BYS15TK1 <-- clonable RFID
Ilco blank # 61-6337 (don't know if it has RFID)

The last mechanical key i found was at a small kiosk-in-shopping-mall key-cutter's.

--dick

Last edited by autostaretx; 10-17-2017 at 03:17 AM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #36
PATECO

I took a pick of one of the re-cased key fobs. I think it turned out quite nicely, and works great.

This one had been sitting in the kitchen junk drawer for the last 3 years so the key itself still has electrical tape / dirt residue on it from the old failed repair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-10-17 12.06.jpg (209.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by PATECO; 10-17-2017 at 05:20 PM.
PATECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #37
parkgt

Here is a link to the two keys I bought for my 2006. Locksmith doubted he could program a key for a Mercedes and was surprised when his machine read the one key fob I had. He programed the two keys and cut them. They work just fine. May not work for newer years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-UNCUT...162133?vxp=mtr
Aqua Puttana (10-18-2017), autostaretx (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #38
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 4,389 Times in 3,287 Posts

You are correct about them not working in "newer years" (2007+)... the metal part of the key is a completely different shape ("warding" as they say in the trade) and cutting technology.

--dick
Old 11-29-2017, 11:50 PM   #39
percym

Great success finally getting functional keys for 2002 Freightliner Sprinter. Ordered the chip key blanks from ebay (5 for $40). The blanks were sold as 2003-2006 Dodge Sprinter keys but they worked fine in my 2002 model year (built Nov 2001). Got them cut and cloned at Ace Hardware of South Walton (Walton County Florida). None of the locksmiths in the area could do it, and the other three Ace Hardware stores were not equipped for chip keys, but Ace of South Walton handled it quickly and economically. My 2002 Freightliner was not in their chip key computer system, but doing it as a 2003 Dodge Sprinter worked fine. Since many Ace Hardware locations don't realize they can do it, convince them to try, and it works fine. 5 out of 5 successful keys work in door and ignition.

Caution: My key blanks were longer than they needed to be. Make sure the key is cut from the shoulder rather than the tip so you don't end up with a key that is too long.

Last edited by percym; 11-29-2017 at 11:53 PM.
percym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to percym For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (11-30-2017), autostaretx (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #40
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 9,802 Times in 6,314 Posts

Back to the glue the chip subject. Very little disassembly is needed for the hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Added by vic:
The chip is best levered out using the Three Point Star side of the OEM key.

If you epoxy the chip into place, test any chip location choice before final epoxy. My chip wouldn't work unless in specific positions. The alignment and position of the narrow end of the chip seem to be critical. Narrow end goes near the face as shown.

The sensing ring can be easily accessed by removing 2 ea. screws above the FB#1 and tipping the plastic housing down. A pair of needle nose pliers can then position and set the chip using Goop glue. Either side of the cable tombstone can be selected for the chip installation. Favor the chip being as close to the face of the ring as practical. Even if it is a bit proud, before hardening, the Goop glue will let the chip slide back a bit when the outer plastic housing cover is re-installed. Unlike epoxy, Goop glue allows easy re-positioning. Once cured it will tenaciously hold the chip into place.

Plastic handle OEM appearing un-programmed or non-chip brass keys are cheap to buy. I couldn't find a local locksmith to cut a steel key for me. I recommend choosing an OEM key look-a-like rather than a plain brass key. Then you will walk like a duck.
As always clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread. There is more detail and Fob information in that thread.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 11-30-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote