Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
Subforums: Write-Ups

Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #31
kite_rider

Default Re: Winnebago Revel

Good link to the review. Looks like they boiled water in about 2.5 minutes with about 1500W of power consumption; it has 10 power settings with the lowest using less than 200W. I would think a well cooked meal would probably be no more than 15 minutes at an average of 700W or 175 Wh. If you used no more than 50% of the 300Ah batteries you would have about 1,800 Wh - so you could get about 10 meals on one charge by my quick 'back of the envelope calculation.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #32
Paul_E_D

I think it would fit my cooking needs without taxing the bank too much. Boiling water and making egg sandwiches is the most common daily use for me. Occasionally a simple dinner. It's not ideal for people boondocking and really cooking a lot as you won't have much left for fridge, fan, stereo etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Super Tall
Paul_E_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #33
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,242 Posts

I have Origo stove combo electric/alcohol and love it. Kenyon is another brand, alcohol is very popular in the boating world but never was accepted in the diesel/electric powered B-class and likely never will, too bad.

George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121212.jpg (108.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR02635.jpg (191.3 KB, 154 views)

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #34
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,558 Posts

We have been using our induction daily since January. The smallest meal uses 10ah, 35ah would be average. It is not hard to use 50AH when cooking something more elaborate, or when boiling liquid. Cooking for more than 2 scales linearly.

An assumption of 175whr (15ah) is only realistic for small single pot cooking operations. Cooking pasta for 2 or 3 with 15 minutes of rolling boil will use at least 35ah. Note that rolling boil is not needed most of the time.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 10-06-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Midwestdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
kite_rider (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:40 AM   #35
kite_rider

Does anyone know if the Revel comes with the MB H12 pre-heater option and the heated windshield? If it doesn't, can they be ordered as an option?
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #36
pedroandmorales

There is now a facebookpage group - Winnebago Revel 4x4
Better way to discuss Revel among fellow enthusiasts
pedroandmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #37
OffroadHamster

I took a look at one of these and my chief gripe is how cheaply made it is. If someone like Airstream were to put one of these together it would be a totally different story I think.

Its a great concept, but it is full of things I personally would never use and lacks several things that are important to many builders on this forum. I don't personally have, want or need any hook-ups, a black tank, or permanent in-van cooking. The bed is novel for hauling things, but most people looking for a full on RV in a van are not using it to make trips to home depot. It lacks safe seating for more than 2 people, is cramped inside (as in, I would not want to hang out in it in poor weather) and definitely wont sleep more than 2 people. Additionally, it has a lot of equipment slung under the van and has no provisions for secured external storage.

I see a lot of builds on here being designed with a double platform bed, or a pop top plus lower bed, retaining a factory bench seat to bring kids and family along and overall having more modularity than the Revel has.

While 100K is a pretty reasonable price for everything included, its only a bargain if you want all those things and don't what what it doesn't have. Clearly there are people for whom this is the case, and if you are one of them, then definitely buy it over building your own. That's a no brainer. Your time invested will push you north of the $100K pricetag of a van with a warranty that covers all the camper systems on top of the van. For me it would be a no-go as I need to safely seat 4, sleep 4, have room to hang out in the van on occasion, have better ground clearance and a lack of low slung equipment underneath, and have accessible external storage (ie no on the roof).

I am into my van for around $87K, and to me $13K is a LOT of money, however you slice it. Yes I have probably 100 hours worth of work into it, but it does everything I need, nothing I don't and it doesn't have stupid decals on it. Not to mention I know how everything is put together and where everything is if something happens to break on a trip.

Kudos to winne for seeing the market opportunity with the demise of the E350 and the rise of #vanlife in a generation who values exploring the great outdoors. Hopefully enough of those young adventure seekers can find the scratch to pick these vans up and warrant an expansion of the segment by other players with different approaches. While a larger industry is not good for those of us trying to find solitude in the great outdoors, it is certainly a boon for the aftermarket on these vans. The more entrants there are the more and better equipment will be developed for the sprinter. In my mind those are things like advanced aftermarket suspensions (intermediate/long travel), locking differentials, plug-n-play electronic upgrades, customized RV related equipment, adapters and bracketry etc etc.

Im looking forward to seeing where the Revel goes and who else gets on board.
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OffroadHamster For This Useful Post:
mountainguy (12-16-2017), sgrichar (12-02-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #38
hayduke
2005/2006 leisure travel

This could put sportsmobile out of business
Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #39
israndy
Custom User Title

Cause SportsMobile is all about the one size fits all? Is it that they are making a 4x4? Neither of those seem like actual reasons for your comment.

-Randy
israndy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
surlyoldbill (12-16-2017)

Tags
winnebago