Any Real World Gas Reviews?

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I've gone through all the old threads and read the test drive reviews, but wondering if anyone has real world results yet. Not looking for gas vs diesel opinions, rather facts based on driving. Any mpg results or reviews on drivability?

I drove a 144 hr crew gas and it was extremely pleasant. Plenty of power empty. Not quite my yukon with a 6.2, but felt similar to my silverado with the 5.3 and 6spd. We also drove the 6 diesel but it was a 144 hr passenger. My guess is the passenger was approaching 1k lbs heavier (600 lbs spec, 1 less passenger and it was missing the crew bench). I was more impressed with the gas. 1k lbs is HUGE though.

Looking for a 144 2wd soccer mommy wagon for the wife. The yukon xl isn't cutting it on vacations. We'll remove the back row in the sprinter for trips and still have enough seats. Plus tons of room for beach toys and boards. We used to take my truck for everything, but another kid and we're out of belts.

Looking forward to hearing opinions on the gasser. Thanks.

red_johnny

I've gone through all the old threads and read the test drive reviews, but wondering if anyone has real world results yet. Not looking for gas vs diesel opinions, rather facts based on driving. Any mpg results or reviews on drivability?

I drove a 144 hr crew gas and it was extremely pleasant. Plenty of power empty. Not quite my yukon with a 6.2, but felt similar to my silverado with the 5.3 and 6spd. We also drove the 6 diesel but it was a 144 hr passenger. My guess is the passenger was approaching 1k lbs heavier (600 lbs spec, 1 less passenger and it was missing the crew bench). I was more impressed with the gas. 1k lbs is HUGE though.

Looking for a 144 2wd soccer mommy wagon for the wife. The yukon xl isn't cutting it on vacations. We'll remove the back row in the sprinter for trips and still have enough seats. Plus tons of room for beach toys and boards. We used to take my truck for everything, but another kid and we're out of belts.

Looking forward to hearing opinions on the gasser. Thanks.
I am looking for that info as well. So far, nothing is out to state what the MPG is. Not many gas engines are out. I am looking to order a 2020 passenger here soon with delivery next year.

Dja06422

Not sure how pertinent this info is since I haven't confirmed MB cpu numbers, but my unloaded Pleasureway Plateau FL on a recent 110mile round trip to the MB dealer was 19.7mpg.current mileage after the trip was 331 on the odometer.

430 hp 70

Thanks guys. Hopefully someone out there has one to review.

Anyone know why the high performance AC isn't available with the gas?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Thanks guys. Hopefully someone out there has one to review.

Anyone know why the high performance AC isn't available with the gas?
There's barely enough power in that tiny engine to move the van, let alone power an additional or larger A/C compressor.

430 hp 70

There's barely enough power in that tiny engine to move the van, let alone power an additional or larger A/C compressor.

That was kind of my thought when they didn't offer it on the 2500 gas either.

On that note, what's the difference between the 1500 and 2500 and does someone have a list of curb weights for all the models? I haven't found a comprehensive list anywhere.

That was kind of my thought when they didn't offer it on the 2500 gas either.

On that note, what's the difference between the 1500 and 2500 and does someone have a list of curb weights for all the models? I haven't found a comprehensive list anywhere.
No , it is not because there is little power in the gas engine. First of all 188hp turbocharged engines have more than enough power to run any ac setup. Hell a 2hp generator can run one. Issue is most likely due to less amperage lightweight alternator they use in the gas which does not crank enough amps. This can be remedied by replacing it with a heavy duty or a secondary alternator. Although the bracket for it is also not offered. That is the reason why there is no heavy duty ac in the gas.

As far as payload info, go to build your van, first page on the bottom will tell you what 1500 can hail vs 2500.

If you want gas, consider that 1500 gas can haul almost as much as 2500 diesel 4x4 due to its components being lighter.

430 hp 70

No , it is not because there is little power in the gas engine. First of all 188hp turbocharged engines have more than enough power to run any ac setup. Hell a 2hp generator can run one. Issue is most likely due to less amperage lightweight alternator they use in the gas which does not crank enough amps. This can be remedied by replacing it with a heavy duty or a secondary alternator. Although the bracket for it is also not offered. That is the reason why there is no heavy duty ac in the gas.

As far as payload info, go to build your van, first page on the bottom will tell you what 1500 can hail vs 2500.

If you want gas, consider that 1500 gas can haul almost as much as 2500 diesel 4x4 due to its components being lighter.
Thanks. I'm not concerned about hauling, rather what components make it a 1500 vs 2500. Different subframes? Lighter unibody construction? In my experience added mass to improve payload translates into s sturdier vehicle in crashes.

I'm also trying to compare curb weights since I drove an empty crew van and a passenger van. I'd like to see accurate numbers on how much more weight the diesel was pulling around. In addition, I haven't seen any weights for the low roof.

Thanks

Thanks. I'm not concerned about hauling, rather what components make it a 1500 vs 2500. Different subframes? Lighter unibody construction? In my experience added mass to improve payload translates into s sturdier vehicle in crashes.

I'm also trying to compare curb weights since I drove an empty crew van and a passenger van. I'd like to see accurate numbers on how much more weight the diesel was pulling around. In addition, I haven't seen any weights for the low roof.

Thanks
I do know that there is an extra leaf on the rear, but not aware of any additional chassis stiffening. Considering it is a $1200 option, I'd expect it to be more than just the extra leaf.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD

Low amperage alternators is not the reason.

According to the dealer ordering guides posted on this forum the gas engined Sprinters have the M60 250A alternators, while the diesels have the less capable M46 220A alternators.

Issue is likely the lack of bracket for the second A/C compressor or second alternator that is available on diesel engines. This also limits options for those of us that would like to have the gas engine, but want a second alternator to charge a large Lithium battery pack.

The Mercedes/Daimler engineering limit of 40A load to charge additional batteries, as specified in the BEG (Body and Equipment Guideline), creates a need for second alternator when you have a large charging load.

cacarbuff

I drove one on Monday this week and the power really blew me away. It definitely had sufficient get-up-and-go, especially considering the fact that the displacement is the same as the engine in my Harley. I was a bit concerned with the MPGs as I drove a relatively flat circuit and seemed to be accelerating/cruising in the low to mid teens. It might do better at higher speeds on the highway. My only concern would be the power if you plan on towing. Otherwise, if you're looking for a non-diesel, it seems like a great option.

Low amperage alternators is not the reason.

According to the dealer ordering guides posted on this forum the gas engined Sprinters have the M60 250A alternators, while the diesels have the less capable M46 220A alternators.

Issue is likely the lack of bracket for the second A/C compressor or second alternator that is available on diesel engines. This also limits options for those of us that would like to have the gas engine, but want a second alternator to charge a large Lithium battery pack.

The Mercedes/Daimler engineering limit of 40A load to charge additional batteries, as specified in the BEG (Body and Equipment Guideline), creates a need for second alternator when you have a large charging load.
Well I thought it was exactly the other way around that the Diesel had the stronger alternator and the gas had the weaker one. You are right about the second alternator bracket but addition of the stronger rear AC does not require the second alternator bracket to be populated (at least on the build your own menu). As a matter of fact I am not even sure if you get the second alternator populated from the factory. Dealer told me it is just the bracket and does not come with an alternator.

red_johnny

I drove one on Monday this week and the power really blew me away. It definitely had sufficient get-up-and-go, especially considering the fact that the displacement is the same as the engine in my Harley. I was a bit concerned with the MPGs as I drove a relatively flat circuit and seemed to be accelerating/cruising in the low to mid teens. It might do better at higher speeds on the highway. My only concern would be the power if you plan on towing. Otherwise, if you're looking for a non-diesel, it seems like a great option.
This sounds promising. While lower RPMs would be nice to aide in fuel consumption I would imagine that highway speeds would yield better MPG rates. I would love to find a 1500 passenger gas to test out for a day or two to get some readings. But in the end, I think I am still fairly sold on my wants/needs falling in line with the 1500. We don't tow very often at all. Usually only for moves which can happen every 3-5 years. I do think my next move may be our last for awhile.

How are there 25,000 videos on KFC meatless chicken strips and not one video that does a proper milage analysis on the gas van. You know, empty, loaded, uphill, towing.

430 hp 70

How are there 25,000 videos on KFC meatless chicken strips and not one video that does a proper milage analysis on the gas van. You know, empty, loaded, uphill, towing.
Seriously. I don't understand how there isn't more info. I know there aren't a ton out there, but you think there'd be enough.

We picked up our 2019 144 HR 2500 cargo gas Sprinter in Sacramento on Saturday and drove it back to LA. We went through Yosemite on Route 120 up and over Tioga Pass (about 10,000ft). When we got home, the trip computer said 542 miles and 19.9 mpg. I did not confirm this through any other means, and the van was empty (other than the two of us,) so I'm just passing along.

Also, while I don't feel particularly qualified to judge engine power, the van had no problem with hills, accelerating or freeway driving. It was a pleasure to drive, and at no time did it seem to struggle. Again, an empty van.

FWIW.

red_johnny

We picked up our 2019 144 HR 2500 cargo gas Sprinter in Sacramento on Saturday and drove it back to LA. We went through Yosemite on Route 120 up and over Tioga Pass (about 10,000ft). When we got home, the trip computer said 542 miles and 19.9 mpg. I did not confirm this through any other means, and the van was empty (other than the two of us,) so I'm just passing along.

Also, while I don't feel particularly qualified to judge engine power, the van had no problem with hills, accelerating or freeway driving. It was a pleasure to drive, and at no time did it seem to struggle. Again, an empty van.

FWIW.
WOW, not bad. Also interested is see how things hold up over the next few weeks.

Top Bottom