Shedding some light - Electrical System Guide

ptgman

Greetings!

For those who may want it, I've found and modified a graphic that helps my wife and I to better understand the electrical system in our 2013 LTV Free Spirit.

It is, I admit, a rather "clunky" approach to wrapping one's brain around the associated systems and their limitations, but it's better than nothing.

If someone has something better to share, please do so! :professor:

Attachments

jaynezink

thanks for the drawing. My 12v system abruptly stopped working. I charged the house battery - and it will turn over the generator. It will not turn on any lights or the water pump. I have looked for a fuse or link but can't find any. Does anyone have any ideas? Its a 2005 dodge sprinter 2500.

Torkrench

thanks for the drawing. My 12v system abruptly stopped working. I charged the house battery - and it will turn over the generator. It will not turn on any lights or the water pump. I have looked for a fuse or link but can't find any. Does anyone have any ideas? Its a 2005 dodge sprinter 2500.
I don't know if you have figured out the problem yet, but I would check the continuous duty solenoid behind the power distribution/fuse panel. My mom's Free Spirit is starting to have trouble with the contacts on that unit and from time to time you will see the lights flicker/voltage show low on the battery monitor. By turning the solenoid off and on a couple of times, it usually fixes the problem.

tinman

On my 2006 it's farther toward the back, just ahead of the hot water tank. If you pull the panel with the access holes for the hot tank bypass valves, then reach up from the forward part of the compartment, the solenoid is mounted on the inside wall (going from memory, but I think that's correct). I noticed a bit of voltage drop on mine when it had been on for a while, and drop seemed to lessen when I cycled the 12v. master switch. I figured maybe the contacts were getting eroded, so I replaced it. I can't honestly say that I noticed any difference with the new one, and didn't find any detectable fault in the one I removed. It's a latching solenoid, so doesn't draw continuously when it's closed.

Top Bottom