Sprinter as Tow Vehicle

ESC2SNTY

We ordered our Sprinter 4x4 last September. At the same time we traded in our beloved Class C motorhome for a 19' Airstream. I have spent the last 6 months looking for information concerning using the Sprinter as a TV. There is a limited amount of Internet experience out there concerning this as it turns out. We just took delivery of our Sprinter. I installed a brake controller (thanks to this forum on the "green plug") and hooked up our 19' Airstream. I am happy to report that it trailers and tows like a dream!

Attachments

FourWheelers1987

A 2017 2500 144” Crew 4x4 High
We ordered our Sprinter 4x4 last September. At the same time we traded in our beloved Class C motorhome for a 19' Airstream. I have spent the last 6 months looking for information concerning using the Sprinter as a TV. There is a limited amount of Internet experience out there concerning this as it turns out. We just took delivery of our Sprinter. I installed a brake controller (thanks to this forum on the "green plug") and hooked up our 19' Airstream. I am happy to report that it trailers and tows like a dream!
That *is* a nice rig. How much does the Airstream weigh?

deltanner

I need a brake controller. What thread are you referring to "green plug". Any advice there would be appreciated!

OffroadHamster

LOL, financially better way to go!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dont ever try to put a price on vacation and adventure, worth every penny, whether you spend 1 or or 10 million of them. The bambi and its other historicaly small airstream brethren are beautiful set-ups.

:cheers:

vscorsa

Thanks for posting, how do you find it for power when towing and what is the comparison for fuel economy with and without Airstream?

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Thanks, 4200# according to the tag.

I know for my 2008 NCV3 3.0 2 wheel drive the max tow capacity is 5,000lbs.

Not sure what it is for a 4X4 but typically it is less as the vehicle is heavier due to 4x4 components.

If your airstream is #4200 dry I suspect you are very close if not over when fully loaded.

I know for my 2008 NCV3 3.0 2 wheel drive the max tow capacity is 5,000lbs.

Not sure what it is for a 4X4 but typically it is less as the vehicle is heavier due to 4x4 components.

If your airstream is #4200 dry I suspect you are very close if not over when fully loaded.
Pretty sure the 4x4 is rated at 5000lbs too.

ESC2SNTY

Vscorsa, I've only taken it once so far for a weekend. In July we are taking 2 weeks so I will report back after that. So far the van without trailer had done a best of 19 mpg. It dropped down to about 14 with the Airstream but that was pulling it over a mountain pass twice. Power has been great.

surferJ

I’m busy trying to get a camper conversion started and one of my restraints is the towing capacity.

As listed for all the years from 2009-2018 the weight is an option.

Standard #4400 Options#6200 #7700 These are the euro converts of 2000/2800/3500kg

This was for all the models 4x4 or not. There are even 313 4x4’s with reinforced rear stabilizers that have #6200 on their papers.

Jdthor

I have the same setup as ESC2SNTY, a black 144 with a 19 foot AS FC. yesterday I towed it from a campground to my home, about 500 miles. The Airstream tanks were empty, my rig has the Reese WD sway-control hitch, and I use the Prodigy wireless brake control. I traveled through windy conditions due to 3 thunderstorms that I had to pass through. I had no complaints about the trip, the combo had sufficient cruise speed, good acceleration, and decent braking considering I had about two tons of trailer pushing me along. One cautionary note, my trailer tongue weighed in at 700 pounds plus; I had to remove both propane tanks and strap them behind the passenger seat (not something I enjoyed for the trip) and I also removed the spare tire and put it behind the propane tanks, so that the tongue weight would fall below 500 pounds. A second cautionary note, if you have a black 144 4wd with BFG K2’s and the Aluminess light bar AND you decide to tow an Airstream, be prepared to have to discuss it with everyone you meet at fuel stops, stop signs, red stoplights, etc. EVERYONE wants to talk sprinters and airstreams.

Attachments

Top Bottom