New to me 2011 316 4x4 MWB, low roof

Jim Dow

OK,

Gandalf the Grey Nomad was left in the care of the local Mercedes Commercial, who were unable to elicit an error code, but could "replicate the issue", ie unelicited wheelspin. The previous repairer was able to raise an error code for the traction control, but were unable to identify it.

The upshot is that, following consultation with Mercedes, it was decided that the wheels were oversize (245x70R16), so the computer was recalibrated to suit. No detectable difference in performance, but only time (and rain) will tell if it was the issue.

Need to wire and insulate in the next 2 weeks before the bed/kitchen goes in.

Hoping to find roof racks to suit Bundutec awning soon. (https://youtu.be/Ow-ZgGA07Sw)

Meanwhile, it rattles like a bustard over bumps, and I cant find the culprit. It is completely empty.

Keep you posted.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Wheel size programming has no impact on traction control operation (assuming all tires are the same on the vehicle.

Good luck.

Jim Dow

The easy answer is "No". Wheel spun on the way home from the repairer, in dry conditions.

I can only hope that some weight in the rear will settle it down.

An enquiry for the experts; is part time 4x4 able to be converted to full time All wheel drive. My daughter wishes to drive it at the snow in winter.

Eric Experience

Jim
Engaging 4x4 in your model converts it into a full time 4x4 that can be driven on a hard surface. If will not behave like a 4x4 until the traction control is fixed. Eric.

Jim Dow

Thanks Eric.

I'm hoping that some weight in the rear will sort the traction control out. If not, it's back to Merc for some intensive investigation.

Jim Dow

Some pics to bring this up to date.

The bed/kitchen assembly is installed, and the wiring is in place ready for connection.

I have insulated with noise reducing, as well as thermal batts. A big job gutting the vehicle, but paid off in both allowing more seamless insulating, as well as cleaning the van out. It was putrid, as pics will show.

A couple of questions;
1)There is still a fair bit of engine noise coming through the fire wall, but it has an insulator adhered to it on the motor side, as well as what I installed in the footwell, as well as the van mats. Any suggestions for addressing this?

2) There is a fair bit of wind noise, which the forums seem to attribute to the A pillars. Should I fill these with expanding foam to reduce this, or is there a more approved approach?

3)How do I run the solar wiring through the rear aircon, which seems to be the accepted route?

http

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Jim.
Look for holes in the fire wall and floor, mine has several large holes. The wind noise is not coming from the pillars, it could be the doors are not fully closing on the seal, mine had alumunium extrusions bolted to the roof they whistled like mad until I removed them. The solar would normally feed the second battery so you need to run the panels to a regulator close to your second battery. Eric.

Jim Dow

Thanks Eric.

I found a large hole beneath the B pillar, which I will close.
I was intending to insulate the doors as well, but not sure if this is needed.

Your warning re adding too much weight was appropriate. Fuel economy remains the same, but braking requires a little more emphasis. The ride has smoothed out considerably.

Re the Solar cable, I don't know how to feed it through the rear aircon.
Most of the wiring has been installed. I now need to install the accessory batteries under the passenger seat, connect them to the cranking battery, and connect the service ports (USB, 12v, & Anderson plugs)

On a different note, how on earth do I upload pics rather than links from photobucket?

Ed463

First camping trip this weekend, raising a couple of questions.

1) It really performs poorly on even mildly corrugated roads. Perhaps not yet having much in the back contributed to this, but should I be looking at tuning the suspension to make it more effective on dirt roads?
I've been following this thread, pretty much sums up my feelings, especially after our trip to Morocco.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61433

Unfortunately once I've paid import duty and VAT (guess we need to get used to that once the Brexit loons finish their little "jolly") it makes it all a bit too pricey for me. I'll try and source from Europe. Tried Koni, despite the negative comments on the above thread, i rate them. They replied that they don't have a shock yet for a 4x4 Sprinter but they are developing some.
Tried a question on the German sprinter forum but didn't get a response.

jaahn

Thanks Eric.

I found a large hole beneath the B pillar, which I will close.
I was intending to insulate the doors as well, but not sure if this is needed.

Your warning re adding too much weight was appropriate. Fuel economy remains the same, but braking requires a little more emphasis. The ride has smoothed out considerably.

Re the Solar cable, I don't know how to feed it through the rear aircon.
Most of the wiring has been installed. I now need to install the accessory batteries under the passenger seat, connect them to the cranking battery, and connect the service ports (USB, 12v, & Anderson plugs)

On a different note, how on earth do I upload pics rather than links from photobucket?
Hi Jim :rolleyes:
I tried to load my camper conversion with the weight in the back. That is where the load should go to counter the front heavy unloaded state. As mine is 2WD it also improves the traction and ride.:thinking:
So I put the my big battery and the solar controller and 12v system in the rear LH side after the wheel arch. A large cable connects it to the front battery with a VSR. The battery under the front seat is too far foward and adds to the unballance particularly if you are aiming for a lightweight conversion, which we have. Other heavy stuff is at the back as much as possible under the beds. The front is more open around the side door area. :laughing:
Jaahn

Jim Dow

to upload pics under the message you are typing... go to 'attach files' and click on 'manage attachments' then 'choose file'...you may need to resize the file to be able to upload it.
No 'Attach file' option to be found.
I use a mac, which has a photo icon ('insert image'), but this also does not upload the file, just the link.

Jim Dow

Just an update on the traction control issue. Hino (Mercedes Commercial) at Beresfield have identified that the AWD control un it is not sending the correct signal to the other wheels during slippage. New unit ex Germany for about $2800 + tax and installation. Now to convince the insurer that this is an ongoing issue since purchase.

Eric Experience

Jim.
This is not a very logical approach. Buying an unspecified "unit" may not help. Most problems of this type are caused by bad connections. The AWD control whatever that is does not send signals to wheels. The traction is handled by the ABS unit it gets signals from the wheel speed sensors and communicates with the transmission control and moderates power via the ECU over the can bus. If your ABS is working normally then the speed sensors are OK so it is most likely a can bus connection. Eric

Jim Dow

Oh!!!. Now I'm confused again.
OH well. this approach is now in the pipeline and will have to see what happens.

Keep you posted.

Top Bottom