5 Star experience at Trailercraft in Anchorage for Service A

AKCub

Got the A service completed on my 2016 Sprinter at Trailercraft here in Anchorage a few days ago. I ended up timing out on the inspection at 13 months from purchase (9,022 miles).

The shop fit me in fairly short notice and said the service runs about $350. I brought the van in right at 7 and expected (I didn't ask about the service driver schedule) I would be able to get a ride home in short order. Turns out I would have to wait at the shop until 8 for the service driver to show up to give me a ride home. Wasn't what I was expecting, but figured I could enjoy some free coffee and wifi while I waited. I hadn't been sitting there for more than 10 minutes when the counter guy (Bill) called me back over and said he had a ride home for me. He had grabbed another service employee and gave him the keys for his personal vehicle and had him run me home. Worked out great as I was back home by 730.

I had read enough on here to realize that the going-in price for the first service is often times purposely quoted low. I was fully expecting to walk out of the shop near a grand. I was way off. When I paid the bill it came out to $348.90 and they gave me the remainder of the jug of DEF that wasn't used after they topped off the DEF tank.

On the phone the shop told me they service normally takes between 2 and 4 hours. I planned on 4 hours and scheduled a kid sitter. The actual service took a little longer and I ran out of sitter. When I called to see if the shop van had a kid seat in it they said no but they offered to have their driver bring my van to the house so I would have a carseat for my son.

I haven't dealt with many service department but I am guessing that both the ride home and the coordination to pick me up in my own van is above and beyond the norm.

I have had good dealings with both the parts and service departments here. Would recommend both.

Scott

TaoOfWoo

I just had my first Service A done here at ~9500 miles and over 2 yrs old. I didn’t make an appointment, but just dropped off then went out of town. They said it would be ready the next day. They called me five days later to say it was ready. They held it for me for two days until I got back into town. I specifically asked for the rear axle bolts to be torqu d as required on the first Sevice A, and they said they torque them on every service, and it was also written that way in the tech’s notes. They didn’t do the fuel filter nor brake fluid, even though both of those items are timed out for age per the manual (2 yrs for brake fluid and 1 yr for fuel filter). They said it’s because they change the brake fluid when the brake feels spongy and they change the fuel filter on Service B. They didn’t have anything in their computer for age limited service items, even though it is right there in my manintenance manual. I asked if they would be willing to assume the risk for a repair for working outside the maintenance manual and the service rider said they would. He said they will repair anything that brakes as a result of their recommendations that are outside what the manual calls for. I guess that means that it works most of the time for them to do that, even though parts are age limited for reasons ( brake fluid is hygroscopic). I did a warm check of the oil level the next day after I got fuel, and the computer said it was over serviced with oil. They charged me and quoted me the same as you. I don’t have a choice to go anywhere else, so I think I will do oil changes myself since it is much cheaper and I will not over service it.

AKCub

Since you poached my thread instead of starting your own on Trailercraft I'll go ahead and respond.

"I didn’t make an appointment, but just dropped off then went out of town. They said it would be ready the next day. They called me five days later to say it was ready."

Curious, did you call them to see why your van wasn't ready? If someone told me my $60,000 van was going to be ready in 24 hours and I didn't hear anything for 36 hours let alone 5 days I would be in touch.

"I specifically asked for the rear axle bolts to be torqu d as required on the first Sevice A, and they said they torque them on every service, and it was also written that way in the tech’s notes."

Is this a complaint or compliment?

"They didn’t do the fuel filter nor brake fluid, even though both of those items are timed out for age per the manual (2 yrs for brake fluid and 1 yr for fuel filter). They said it’s because they change the brake fluid when the brake feels spongy and they change the fuel filter on Service B. They didn’t have anything in their computer for age limited service items, even though it is right there in my maintenance manual."

If you have access to a current service manual for your van and and it gives time limits for the fuel filter and brake fluid, did you take a copy of that data to dealer? If you feel like you have better service data than the dealership has, then I'm damn sure asking them to change the fuel filter and brake fluid would result in it being changed. Not for free mind you but the parts would get changed. It's a fundamental part of their business model.

"I did a warm check of the oil level the next day after I got fuel, and the computer said it was over serviced with oil."

What did the service desk at Trailercraft say when you told them they over serviced the oil?

I have zero ownership in the only dealer in Anchorage and I have my own issues with them for non service related fails but in all of my dealings with the service and parts departments have been positive. I own 2 Sprinters and owned a MB310 and have assisted in a couple more upfits and they have been my first point of contact for both service and MB parts over the last couple years.

2 more cents...

I just had my first Service A done here at ~9500 miles and over 2 yrs old. I didn’t make an appointment, but just dropped off then went out of town. They said it would be ready the next day. They called me five days later to say it was ready. They held it for me for two days until I got back into town. I specifically asked for the rear axle bolts to be torqu d as required on the first Sevice A, and they said they torque them on every service, and it was also written that way in the tech’s notes. They didn’t do the fuel filter nor brake fluid, even though both of those items are timed out for age per the manual (2 yrs for brake fluid and 1 yr for fuel filter). They said it’s because they change the brake fluid when the brake feels spongy and they change the fuel filter on Service B. They didn’t have anything in their computer for age limited service items, even though it is right there in my manintenance manual. I asked if they would be willing to assume the risk for a repair for working outside the maintenance manual and the service rider said they would. He said they will repair anything that brakes as a result of their recommendations that are outside what the manual calls for. I guess that means that it works most of the time for them to do that, even though parts are age limited for reasons ( brake fluid is hygroscopic). I did a warm check of the oil level the next day after I got fuel, and the computer said it was over serviced with oil. They charged me and quoted me the same as you. I don’t have a choice to go anywhere else, so I think I will do oil changes myself since it is much cheaper and I will not over service it.

Top Bottom