T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

chris118

Hurray!!!!!

I have some positive news for anyone in California with a 2004( the one year which has the issue of the recall destroying your instrument cluster requiring a replacement (which no longer exist).

Apologies I don't remember which forum member posted the email of a Jerry from the California Air Resources board , but I emailed him after my post over a month ago, and he was very responsive and helpful.
I described the issue of ZERO dealerships dealing with the #t21 recall in California for the 2004 model year(2005-2006 apparently do not have instrument cluster issue). He asked lots of questions and said he was actively speaking with Fiat Chrysler about this. He understands the required replacement parts no longer exist and they have (for now) suspended the recall at least for 2004 year models.

After checking in to see if there was any progress, I received this email today-
"Hi Chris,

We have removed the POC requirements temporarily for recall T21 for 2004 MY Sprinter. You can do the following to renew your registration:

1. The renewals can be processed in person at DMV or at AAA without needing a Proof of Correction. The requirements for POCs will have been removed.
2. owners can mail in a copy of their registration card instead of the preprinted renewal form along with a check for the renewal fees to the DMV renewal office (if you mail in the original renewal form from DMV will not work).
3. Unfortunately, the renewals cannot be processed by internet.

Hope this help. Thanks.

Jerry Ho"

Sprinter forum made this happen!!!!!!!THANK YOU
I'm heading to the DMV this week and will let you know what happens

Hurray!!!!!

Hope this help. Thanks.

Jerry Ho"

Sprinter forum made this happen!!!!!!!THANK YOU
I'm heading to the DMV this week and will let you know what happens
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great job following up!!!

I offer my thanks on behalf of all of the NAS aka NAFTA Sprinter owners that live within the borders of California.

It is reassuring to learn that there still is some sympathy and common sense to be found within a bureaucracy.

Thanks for the work and update.

:cheers: vic

chris118

Just wanted to let you all know I went and got the van smogged, then went into a AAA office loaded with email print outs, etc., prepared for the worst...
Gave the lady behind the counter my registration form, she scanned it and said "that'll be $300".
Was back out the door with tags in hand in about 5 minutes!

It worked!:rad:

So now the question is, what happens next year...?:popcorn:
I doubt Fiat Chrysler is going to try very hard to make this right for the Air Resources Board.

99sport

Just wanted to let you all know I went and got the van smogged, then went into a AAA office loaded with email print outs, etc., prepared for the worst...
Gave the lady behind the counter my registration form, she scanned it and said "that'll be $300".

I doubt Fiat Chrysler is going to try very hard to make this right for the Air Resources Board.
I don't think Fiat Chryler has a choice. If they can't bring your van into compliance I suspect CARB will force Chrysler to buy your van back and / or offer you a steep discount on a new van. Chrysler will choose whichever option costs them the least money to bring the California fleet into compliance. Perhaps buying back the few remaining un-recalled California vans is cheaper than rewriting the T21 firmware to work with 2004 instrument clusters. At least you can always get SOS to fix it on your own dime if it eventually comes to that. Fingers crossed Chrysler does the right thing by T1N owners.

See the VW dieselgate buy back as a comparison: https://www.businessinsider.com/vw-...tting-in-37-parking-lots-around-the-us-2018-4

Last edited:

bryg1

Utah:
Larry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Sandy
10985 Auto Mall Dr., Sandy, UT 84070[/B][/B]

Got the run around from many other Utah dodge dealers. Larry H. Miller in Sandy made it happen!

Hmr

chris118 said:
chris118- Thank you very much for sharing this info. I have a 2004 Sprinter. I went to my local AAA office today with my renewal notice and a fresh smog certificate. I left with my new registration in less than 10 minutes. You’re right... it works!:cheers:

Edit to add: I live in CA.

Last edited:
chris118- Thank you very much for sharing this info. I have a 2004 Sprinter. I went to my local AAA office today with my renewal notice and a fresh smog certificate. I left with my new registration in less than 10 minutes. You’re right... it works!:cheers:

Edit to add: I live in CA.
So, you didn't have the recall done?
I renewed mine without the proper recall paperwork and got a notice the registration was being cancelled. I had to bring the proper papers back.

BooBoo

BooBooBuggy
I watched a youtube video for temp fix he turn key on off without start twice and the dash went out mine works with one . this is after the EGR replacement because it burnt up running the clean from the recall. would have cost me 2400 bucks ordered EGR amazon ! Love my Sprinter and this site !

nut

LA south bay
I did my T21 at Huntington Beach Dodge Ram Chrysler just last month.

They did a great job and were very attentive. I returned with some battery draw issues and they took care of me without a problem. They knew lots about T21 issues.

marklg

I watched a youtube video for temp fix he turn key on off without start twice and the dash went out mine works with one . this is after the EGR replacement because it burnt up running the clean from the recall. would have cost me 2400 bucks ordered EGR amazon ! Love my Sprinter and this site !
Can you elaborate on "the clean from the recall"? It is my understanding that if any issues that were undetected before the recall show up, they are supposed to fix them for free. There is a long list of fault codes that if they show up after the recall, they have to be fixed.

Regards,

Mark

sinster

Do NOT go to DEPENDABLE DODGE in Chattsworth California for T21 recall. They flashed my ECU with a version of the software that doesn't talk OBD II over the K-line Pin 7 on DLC. So now I can not pass smog no matter what I do. I thought it was my ECU that was messed up, but when I cloned my software onto a used ECU, same problem would occur. So I had a programmer flash the software that came with the used ECU back onto it, and VOILA.. OBDII works over the K-Line. Of course I get the "start error", so now I have to get my immobilizer married to my ECU. Found a place online, Precision ECU in Chicago, that is going to do that for me for $300. What is amazing is that the dealership refuses to look at my vehicle again and says that they no longer service Dodge/Mercedes Sprinters and that I should take it to a Mercedes dealership. So like I said.. stay away from Depedable Dodge.. they suck and should change there name to Undependable Dodge. :drool:

jrod5150

Do NOT go to DEPENDABLE DODGE in Chattsworth California for T21 recall. They flashed my ECU with a version of the software that doesn't talk OBD II over the K-line Pin 7 on DLC. So now I can not pass smog no matter what I do. I thought it was my ECU that was messed up, but when I cloned my software onto a used ECU, same problem would occur. So I had a programmer flash the software that came with the used ECU back onto it, and VOILA.. OBDII works over the K-Line. Of course I get the "start error", so now I have to get my immobilizer married to my ECU. Found a place online, Precision ECU in Chicago, that is going to do that for me for $300. What is amazing is that the dealership refuses to look at my vehicle again and says that they no longer service Dodge/Mercedes Sprinters and that I should take it to a Mercedes dealership. So like I said.. stay away from Depedable Dodge.. they suck and should change there name to Undependable Dodge. ?
Posted about them a few pages back. Had a client that took their van to them, they are a joke, did you deal with the nice British chap lol

brubbo

05 118 low roof
I took mine to Hilltop in Richmond got the recall performed and passed smog. Then the next month I got a p0101 code for MAF and the engine started knocking took it to west coast sprinter and they told me that the dealer that flashed my ECM didn’t do it correctly and I will need to buy I new ECM and get the motor pulled to see where the knocking is coming from. Van just hit 178k. Not sure what to do now. ?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I took mine to Hilltop in Richmond got the recall performed and passed smog. Then the next month I got a p0101 code for MAF and the engine started knocking took it to west coast sprinter and they told me that the dealer that flashed my ECM didn’t do it correctly and I will need to buy I new ECM and get the motor pulled to see where the knocking is coming from. Van just hit 178k. Not sure what to do now. ?
There is a lot of missing information here. Start a new thread and explain the symptoms in more detail. Maybe there's more to it then what west coast said.

Free Pony

2004 Airstream Interstate 22'

I’m bringing my 04 into CA from WA and Jerry has offered to help me try to get relief from the recall “fix” bugs too!

XYZdayz

Any Mercedes or Freightliner dealers who will work on this around Western North Carolina, Southwestern Virginia, or North East Tenn. The recall was done in 2017 in MO, before they knew about replacing the instrument panel. Bought it this year. The battery drains and the "check engine" light stays on. Getting the U0423 code. Are there any new instrument panels available for this? It is a 2004 chassis Sprinter Freightliner with Mercedes engine built out by Forest River. Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Bottom