Desperately seeking Bay Area Sprinter Mechanic!

I had some work done by Ben in Santa Rosa mobile mechanic. He has sprinter stocked with tools and parts and can do service calls. His experience and specialization on sprinters is very clear. He mostly work on HVAC systems now but also does sprinters.

Ben
+1 (707) 217-8250

2005 Dodge Sprinter
Get out there and do it

michaelh

2015 Unity TB
Thanks to all the previous contributors to this thread. I'm trying to find a competent, fair value shop. :thumbup:
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines. At MB Pleasanton, I was unhappy that MB said it would take 3 hours of labor to replace the differential cover, so they reduced that for me - most appreciated but still horribly expensive. MB Fairfield have been a bit of a mixed bag. They have done the routine services for us (at stratospheric prices) but the only non-routine thing they had to handle, they got wrong. Our check engine light came on, I filled the DEF but that wasn't it. They reset the DEF sensor and said it was good to go but within 50 miles the check engine light was back on. They got it in the shop again and said they replaced the engine knock sensor, which seemed to fix the problem.
They charge around $750 for the "A" service, so I won't be going back to either of these dealers as my "B" service is coming up.

lindenengineering

Thanks to all the previous contributors to this thread. I'm trying to find a competent, fair value shop. :thumbup:
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines. At MB Pleasanton, I was unhappy that MB said it would take 3 hours of labor to replace the differential cover, so they reduced that for me - most appreciated but still horribly expensive. MB Fairfield have been a bit of a mixed bag. They have done the routine services for us (at stratospheric prices) but the only non-routine thing they had to handle, they got wrong. Our check engine light came on, I filled the DEF but that wasn't it. They reset the DEF sensor and said it was good to go but within 50 miles the check engine light was back on. They got it in the shop again and said they replaced the engine knock sensor, which seemed to fix the problem.
They charge around $750 for the "A" service, so I won't be going back to either of these dealers as my "B" service is coming up.
Trying to find a fair value shop/service is your goal.
OK This piques some interest as a provider of vehicle auto service.

So some primary questions because this is important as a consumer.
1) What do YOU consider is fair value charge out rate?

2) Do you know how a charge out rate is determined?

3) Using dealer "A" what was the quote horrendous charge out rate, you didn't specify?

4) Did you question why they charged 3 hours for a specific job which is 1,25 hours of book time. Did they have a legitimate answer?

5)Do you know why dealerships (any US dealership brand) are sometimes like chiropractors and have to have a go at the same issue several times over?

6)Do you know it takes between 70 to around 220 miles to show up a NOx fault?

7) Why is a mobile service provider cheaper than a dealer or other fixed brick & mortar repair shop?

8) Does a cheap and competent repair shops always go together?
How much would that factor affect your decisions to select a business offering a service? How much of a guarantee to do you expect to get from a specific repair/service establishment?

9) Have you ever asked a service provider if they carry liability garage keepers insurance in case they damage your vehicle while in their care ?

Dennis

uebermorgentau

I had good experience with Moran, too. any other leads for good Sprinter service & repair in the Bay Area - particularly knowledgable in T1Ns? Thank you so much

Thornezilla

Bump! I may try Moran in Berkeley. Took our "new" 2011 Freightliner Sprinter Sportsmobile to Collie in San Rafael, and they seem to have the experience with Sprinters -- plenty of them in their lot and shop. They seemed a bit mainstream and upscale for me, and the guy at the front desk and phones wasn't very technical. Got the van back with tire pressure of 81/rear and 57/front, apparently as a result of one mechanic's broken tire gage as they say they use the door sticker numbers of 70/47.

The South Bay is just too far (meaning too much traffic) to regularly use for us North and East Bay van owner, but it sure sounds like there are more resources down there. Anyone try Sturken Auto Body / RV in San Jose? I talked to the owner and he seemed pretty upfront, won't give quotes over the phone but insists on seeing the van in person first. https://www.sturken.com/

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines.
I've been using MB of Fairfield for parts supplier for years.
Even after moving to Las Vegas, I arranged new key with them as that saved me about $300 on keyless go, who needed programming - comparing what Vegas dealers quote.
Can't vouch much for labor estimates, but the key programming was low, they deleted lost keys from car memories, reprogram TPMS and check tire pressure. I think pressure check is required by the law in CA, but still nice gesture.

lindenengineering

Oh this thread with "desperately seeking" !!
For me I read (*as I always do) key word , I want cheap bargain basement auto repairs & servicing by people who are working for minimum wage & no benes .
But it all must be of top quality !!
As I read between the lines the contributor reached a point of desperation when frankly reasonable repairs & service comes at a price was not conducive to his budget.

A suggestion !
If you are close to the US /Mexican border why not try down there?
Competent mechanics, cheaper labor/parts rates for both aspects of service & repairs.
Explore that option if you are budgetary challenged--skint in British English.

As a footnote on tyre gauges!!!
These days you must have an electronic gauge sets to "do" tyre pressures in a Pro shop .
Although they all have same the shape format & they come with each tool suppliers colors & logos they are all made in China the same manufacturer.
Snap On versions in red have been subject to a recall for sudden inaccuracies.
Matco also in red won't warranty this stuff,& when its done its done.
Same with Napa in Royal Blue but nothing "royal" about it!

Therefore it's incumbent in a shop to ensure the gauge is accurate but there is no standard, NOR a US manufacturer to basically back it up because it comes at a price .
So in short it means buying a new gauge @ $85 minimum every three months ,and you guys want cheap precise auto repairs ! :D
Dennis

Rockclmbr

I'm currently seeking a local Bay Area mechanic to perform a brake fluid drain/fill on a 2012 Sprinter. Local to East Bay (Fremont, CA) is a must.

Thanks!

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
Let me know if you find one! (Danville)

I’m sure Dennis will chime in any moment now informing you that you should be willing to pay whatever price they want to charge you, and if you don’t like that, you should drive to Mexico for your oil changes. ?

quality, cheap, fast....choose two. Haha

Thornezilla

I had very good luck with my 2011 Sprinter Sportsmobile at El Cerrito Tires and Auto Body -- despite the "generic" name. ;-) They did the transmission fluid & filter change that Collie in San Rafael didn't want to do, drained the rear diff and changed the seal, checked the front wheel bearings, and torqued down all the bolts on the front struts, rear shocks and new anti-sway bar that I had a buddy install.

They're in the triangle of commercial shops where 580 and 80 split off in Albany. The manager Steve was recommended to me by Joe at Camp Quest here in Richmond.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter

bigvic0007

Just had an engine blown, after trying to rebuild the engine myself and failing after 3,000 miles, I decided to have a mechanic install a used engine for me.
Called all the shops in the bay area, only a hand full were willing to do the job....some wanted an arm and a leg (collie auto works)
Settled with a shop in Dixon 707Deisel, who quoted me $1700... a fair price for an engine swap. After everything was said and done, the engine swap cost $3000 with parts, oil, and troubleshooting a battery light. (price not including the engine) Just got the van back, already put 3,000 and everything is working great. They seem to be experienced and are comfortable with sprinters. I would recommend them.

Would love something closer to Sonoma, where I am now relocated.

Thornezilla

Try El Cerrito Tires & Auto Body. Despite the rather generic name they seem quite capable of doing most basic work at a MUCH lower price than Collie (if Collie is grudgingly willing to do it at all in my experience).

Pacer993

I'm currently seeking a local Bay Area mechanic to perform a brake fluid drain/fill on a 2012 Sprinter. Local to East Bay (Fremont, CA) is a must.

Thanks!
Hi. The absolute best Sprinter mechanic and garage is called San Jose Sprinter Van Repair and Service located in Sunnyvale at MID Auto Service. The best mechanic and owner is named Zoran Miskic. He can be reached at 408-693-6577, web site is: SanJoseSprinterRepairs.com . Tell him Todd from the Sprinter-Source.com forum referred you to him. Trust me, tell him. Zoran specializes in Mercedes and Dodge Sprinter repair and servicing. He also has a paint booth and body shop, and can handle all tire needs too. He is located right off Lawrence Expressway, on Reed Ave., not far from the Sunnyvale Costco. 1155 Reed Ave., Suite D, Sunnyvale. Again, 408-693-6577, mention Todd.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Hi. The absolute best Sprinter mechanic and garage is called San Jose Sprinter Van Repair and Service located in Sunnyvale at MID Auto Service. The best mechanic and owner is named Zoran Miskic. He can be reached at 408-693-6577, web site is: SanJoseSprinterRepairs.com . Tell him Todd from the Sprinter-Source.com forum referred you to him. Trust me, tell him. Zoran specializes in Mercedes and Dodge Sprinter repair and servicing. He also has a paint booth and body shop, and can handle all tire needs too. He is located right off Lawrence Expressway, on Reed Ave., not far from the Sunnyvale Costco. 1155 Reed Ave., Suite D, Sunnyvale. Again, 408-693-6577, mention Todd.
It's hard to find good Sprinter mechanics in the SFBA, and I've heard good things of this shop.. But, please understand Pacer993's only posts in this site have been to promote and push contact information for this shop. This is an advertisement.

Pacer993

It's hard to find good Sprinter mechanics in the SFBA, and I've heard good things of this shop.. But, please understand Pacer993's only posts in this site have been to promote and push contact information for this shop. This is an advertisement.
This was an endorsement and a referral to have the person asking for a bay area sprinter mechanic to know that I recommend he talk to this shop and owner because he fixed not only my Sprinter, but he also works on my Porsche 993, Dodge Ram, and Dodge Durango. So if I have a recommendation or endorsement, please do not falsely represent it as an advertisement.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
the only contributions to this community Pacer993 has made has been endorsements to this shop.. and not soft endorsements; only advertisements of all contact and marketing information for the shop. If you want to advertise, get in touch with the site owner, build a banner advertisement, and PAY to advertise. I’m sure they have the capability to even serve the adds based on IP address such that the adds can be served based on geography.

motoervan

So it took two days, I dropped it Thursday afternoon and the RV was ready for pickup Friday night, and I picked it up Saturday afternoon at the Golden Gate Truck Center. When I dropped it they had said they were two days backed up.

View attachment 37656

There was some confusion if they had changed the differential fluid. It took a little time to pick it up and the total was $800 and there wasn't even a sticker on the windshield saying when the next service was due, the windshield had bird poo and reside from rain, and the work order didn't show what precisely was done. They did give me the computer printout of all the diagnostic events the computer had tracked, good to know I didn't clear that with the Ultragauge OBD II scanner I have.

I had previously had the oil changed for just over $100 plus the cost of oil filter they didn't have in stock at my local Jiffy Lube like place. It seems a LOT to pay when I don't know what they did exactly. I asked what they do makes it worth the extra cost and they said "We're backed by Freightliner"... But when I asked them initially to check out the rumble strip noise, something someone here said was fixed after their tune-up at Rocklin, CA Mercedes Benz, they didn't know what I was talking about, saying they were New to Sprinter... They did a ONE TIME reduction of the labor rate to $99/hr for me.

I haven't driven it much yet, so I will let you know what I find as I go forward. Probably read the owner's manual more myself to be sure it's in the dealer's hands when it needs to be but take it elsewhere other times. On my 2000 Honda Insight I just take it every other time to the dealer, got a new battery pack out of them but could have paid for the battery pack cash if I had saved the money they charge for tune ups. Perhaps Sprinters are too easy to maintain and I should just do it myself after reading this group.

-Randy
Very bad experience with Golden Gate Truck Center as well. Would not recommend.

deandre

Precision People's Car Repair Knows Sprinters
That's where I take my 2005
1346 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702, 510 524 1911

deandre

Hi. I am looking to get a duplicate key for a 2008 Dodge Sprinter in the Bay Area.

I don't know if it has gotten any easier to clone them over the past couple of years, but I read a few old threads and it seems like it could be tricky.

I have one working key still. Any advice much appreciated !
Got mine done at Reeds Lock and Key. They used to be in Oakland, but now are in Hayward

Top Bottom