Over use 4x4? Possible purchase.

davidderousseau

I am hoping for some honest non bias feed back. I am considering purchasing a used 2016 Sprinter 4x4 with roughly 40k miles. The concern is that the current owner disclosed he drove it in 4x4 for nearly 20-30k miles. Why? I don’t know. In addition, highway speeds.

Could this have done damage to anything in the long term? I am looking to avoid any costly repairs in the future.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Eric Experience

Re: Over use 4x4?

David.
The van is capable of 2wd and full time 4wd so it is unlikely to do any damage, just wast a little fuel. Some drivers have a mental block when engaging and releasing 4wd, he may have not been able the master the two buttons sequence , if you reed on the 4x4 section there are a lot who never get it sorted. Eric.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?

The Sprinter 4wd system doesn’t have any locking or limited slip components and is more of a selectable AWD than true 4WD. Driving full time with 4WD engaged will cause zero harm but may but probably won’t decrease the service interval for the front axle and transfer case.

AKSprinter4x4

I drive my 2015 in 4x4 here in Alaska for 8 months of the year, no issues. Although I would consider a complete fluid change of the dif, transfer case, and transmission just to know the condition of the fluids and you're starting out fresh.

Top Bottom