Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:10 PM   #101
4wheeldog

Default Re: Dealer suggests DPF bracket replace as PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Vic
Hi yes in some case you are absolutely right!
Nothing to do with Sprinters, but a case in point along time ago, as a senior apprentice and a 6x4 dump truck, & a factory workshop support in my local abode.

This particular truck spec got upgraded due to customer demand and had a two speed splitter box added behind the clutch to the existing 6 speed gearbox.
The add on was operated by an additional lever in the cab; all connected to the actual shift lever by an Aerons aircraft style cable. The use was obvious due to the truck having a tilt cab.
Problem #1
The cable had no provision for cable articulation at the lever end so it broke!
And it broke and it broke! The cable was expensive shearing off at the jaw end.
The fix was obvious !
Put a fulcrum provision at the support bracket under the cab where the cable was mounted to to allow articulation!
So I got busy on one truck, went mad, added a fulcrum bracket and welded it all together--Warranty incidence dropped to almost zero--- surprise surprise .,It became a factory fix on production.
Zone Rep was most impressed and yours truly was voted as apprentice of the year in 1968 by the factory and my ugly mug appeared & sent out all over the world in the factory trade mag!

Asked by the service manager about it; I mentioned well it's all well and good but the concept is basically flawed. He quipped Well don't tell the factory folk about that impression because they won't be very impressed. The issue is to make it outlast the warranty!!
Yes after all these years the same mantra exists maybe even worse, they now have bean counters and "Methods & Technique Depts" to study the life span of every component. Factories never want to make the Vincent HRD motorcycle mistake! You CAN make em TOO good and they don't break!
Profitability is the mantra here!
Cheers Dennis
I worked in an entirely different field, but still mechanical maintenance.
(Actually, the wastewater industry.)
On every repair, I always looked for a way to either never have to fix that thing again, or at least make it last a lot longer.
One of the older guys I worked with tried to talk me out of that endeavor. His point was, job security. I could not see how we would ever be short of work, and I also hated repeating the same repair time after time.
Before long, I was his boss, to his chagrin. My bosses came to appreciate less down time, even if the fixes cost a bit more to accomplish. And, we never suffered for lack of something to do.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4wheeldog For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #102
lindenengineering

Thanked 7,529 Times in 3,936 Posts

Sorry for the off topic post here but is mighty have interest to some of the forum members.
4 wheel dog
What was the repair solid waste lift stations? Curious.
Water water and sewage treatment is a of huge interest to me!
Working in the 3rd world for much of my career I saw the value of clean water.
Africa and much of what ails it, is the total lack of clean un-contaminated potable water!

A while back I was strolling down a river path in Glenwood Springs with one of my sons then about 12 years old. As we got the end of the pathway, we came upon this treatment plant.
I made a few kid like explanations as to what was going on here! Then someone out of the plant invited us in for a tour. Dennis Jnr was fascinated and still is!

Now 19, a student of wind technology & thermal energy at Ecotech in Denver, I can tell he and his younger science minded brother are very ecology conscious.
All this prompted by his elder brother Rhys who was 5 at the time (about 20 years ago) and sitting on a pontoon on my 18' Hobie Cat with his sister as we sailed in John Pennekamp park.
He suddenly said
Dad you know I am going to be a garbage man when I grow up! The sea is polluted with plastic waste & I am going to clean it up!
These days my two younger ones have come up with a credible idea to install it in a ship and turn the waste into a base cyclable product .
Young furtive minds at work!
Gotta love it
Dennis

http://www.ci.glenwood-springs.co.us/196/Water
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
4wheeldog (03-31-2018), Aqua Puttana (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #103
4wheeldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Sorry for the off topic post here but is mighty have interest to some of the forum members.
4 wheel dog
What was the repair solid waste lift stations? Curious.
Water water and sewage treatment is a of huge interest to me!
Working in the 3rd world for much of my career I saw the value of clean water.
Africa and much of what ails it, is the total lack of clean un-contaminated potable water!

A while back I was strolling down a river path in Glenwood Springs with one of my sons then about 12 years old. As we got the end of the pathway, we came upon this treatment plant.
I made a few kid like explanations as to what was going on here! Then someone out of the plant invited us in for a tour. Dennis Jnr was fascinated and still is!

Now 19, a student of wind technology & thermal energy at Ecotech in Denver, I can tell he and his younger science minded brother are very ecology conscious.
All this prompted by his elder brother Rhys who was 5 at the time (about 20 years ago) and sitting on a pontoon on my 18' Hobie Cat with his sister as we sailed in John Pennekamp park.
He suddenly said
Dad you know I am going to be a garbage man when I grow up! The sea is polluted with plastic waste & I am going to clean it up!
These days my two younger ones have come up with a credible idea to install it in a ship and turn the waste into a base cyclable product .
Young furtive minds at work!
Gotta love it
Dennis

http://www.ci.glenwood-springs.co.us/196/Water
I worked in large waste water plants, and also serviced lift stations.
At the end of my career, I was also in charge of the pipes in the streets.
Since it was a middle sized city, I also serviced (And was later in charge of) the storm water pumping stations.

The science is mature, and we can turn raw sewage into a drinkable product.....Though that is generally not economically viable, and has its problems with social acceptability.
But recycled wastewater is certainly reasonable to use for irrigation.

You have excellent stories from your varied career. Mine are mostly about the strange things you can find coming through a sewer.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4wheeldog For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #104
BobLLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Personally inspect your exhaust system before you reach the end of your warranty. It will be on your dime if cracks are found and your warranty isn't in effect. Do not expect a recall by MB on these "improved" parts.
Back on topic, for what it may be worth: I followed Aqua's advice above, before he even gave it, and inspected my bracket as soon as I learned about the problem. Alas, my warranty is long gone, but I got the bracket replaced by an independent shop literally walking distance from my house. $245 parts and labor. It ain't rocket science, its just an exhaust system bracket in a rather awkward location.

Last edited by BobLLL; 03-31-2018 at 05:00 PM.
BobLLL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobLLL For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (03-31-2018), lindenengineering (03-31-2018)