EGR Valve Operational After Disassembly

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
I've seen the admonishment in multiple threads never to separate the EGR Valve's servo motor assembly from the valve body, and that failure to heed this warning would be immediately fatal to the continued operability of the EGR assembly.

I can confirm that it is indeed possible and quite simple to reassemble the EGR after having removed the upper servo motor section of the EGR from the lower valve & body section, at least on my 2007 OM642 engine.

I initially made the same mistake as many others before me, removing the security screws and separating the servo motor when I was actually planning to remove the entire EGR assembly. Upon reinstallation, I immediately found my turbo boost and RPM limited (to about 2800rpm), and the ScangaugeII showed me a new P0404 TDC which would not clear.

To solve the problem, I disconnected the EGR wiring harness connection, again removed the 2 security screws on the EGR assembly, lifted off the EGR servo motor, rotated the motor shaft approximately 180 degrees, carefully verified that the plastic spider coupler was properly seated in the valve assembly, carefully reseated the servo motor into the spider coupler which required a slight rotation of the servo motor to align it for reinstallation of the security screws, reinstalled the security screws (including the metal bonding bar which seats under the right-side security screw and hooks under the metal housing of the top of the servo motor assembly), and reconnected the wiring harness.

Problem solved! After clearing the stored DTC codes with the scangauge, the P0404 DTC is no more! Now I can get back to diagnosing the lack of turbo boost that prompted me to mess with the EGR in the first place, but at least I don't have to buy a fancy new EGR valve assembly just to clear the P0404 code.

Is this plastic spider gear available to purchase? I mistakenly lost it when I separated the unit and had to buy a new complete egr last year. Mine is an 06 2500 shc 158 and I would like to be able to use the old unit as a backup. Lesson learned that I won't be repeating next time but would like to be able to have my old unit as a spare. This spider gear was reddish in color if I remember correctly. Thanks to all here. Again it took 4 times of logging in to be able to post and each time it said thanks for logging in but would not transfer to the section I wanted to post a response to. Hey moderator, how about a little clarification on why this is happening every time I try to post???? It only takes a single log out but takes at least four log in attempts to get it to work. Thanks.

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
Is this plastic spider gear available to purchase? I mistakenly lost it when I separated the unit and had to buy a new complete egr last year. Mine is an 06 2500 shc 158 and I would like to be able to use the old unit as a backup. Lesson learned that I won't be repeating next time but would like to be able to have my old unit as a spare. This spider gear was reddish in color if I remember correctly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SERVICE-KIT...d=100011&prg=9138&rk=0&rkt=10&sd=300980532281

Thanks for the connection. Now if there is an 06 plastic reddish spider gear available it would be great to rehab my old egr. By the way, I loved the comment about what egr could stand for instead of the normal appellation. Eventually Gets Replaced!!!! Thanks to all here.

nightdog

Totally awesome and hats off to Vertigo..... I made the mistake pulling the EGR motor / solenoid when I cleaned my EGR to unstick my 2008 with only 46k miles and cleaned it up real good and put it back together and found my sprinter in limp mode. I was so bummed especially having to replace the tranny just a month earlier. When I reassembled it I thought I was gold and wah lah... It was depression. Dealer said I was going to have to pay them to replace the complete EGR and until today I found your post to simply remove the solenoid and rotate the motor 180 degreees , so I did and OH yeah baby, cleared P0404 and took it out for a test ride, bammmm , no more limp mode and turbo is back. Thanks to you I almost gave up... Hope the best for you and thanks for your post.....

nightdog

I've seen the admonishment in multiple threads never to separate the EGR Valve's servo motor assembly from the valve body, and that failure to heed this warning would be immediately fatal to the continued operability of the EGR assembly.

I can confirm that it is indeed possible and quite simple to reassemble the EGR after having removed the upper servo motor section of the EGR from the lower valve & body section, at least on my 2007 OM642 engine.

I initially made the same mistake as many others before me, removing the security screws and separating the servo motor when I was actually planning to remove the entire EGR assembly. Upon reinstallation, I immediately found my turbo boost and RPM limited (to about 2800rpm), and the ScangaugeII showed me a new P0404 TDC which would not clear.

To solve the problem, I disconnected the EGR wiring harness connection, again removed the 2 security screws on the EGR assembly, lifted off the EGR servo motor, rotated the motor shaft approximately 180 degrees, carefully verified that the plastic spider coupler was properly seated in the valve assembly, carefully reseated the servo motor into the spider coupler which required a slight rotation of the servo motor to align it for reinstallation of the security screws, reinstalled the security screws (including the metal bonding bar which seats under the right-side security screw and hooks under the metal housing of the top of the servo motor assembly), and reconnected the wiring harness.

Problem solved! After clearing the stored DTC codes with the scangauge, the P0404 DTC is no more! Now I can get back to diagnosing the lack of turbo boost that prompted me to mess with the EGR in the first place, but at least I don't have to buy a fancy new EGR valve assembly just to clear the P0404 code.

Totally awesome and hats off to Vertigo..... I made the mistake pulling the EGR motor / solenoid when I cleaned my EGR to unstick my 2008 with only 46k miles and cleaned it up real good and put it back together and found my sprinter in limp mode. I was so bummed especially having to replace the tranny just a month earlier. When I reassembled it I thought I was gold and wah lah... It was depression. Dealer said I was going to have to pay them to replace the complete EGR and until today I found your post to simply remove the solenoid and rotate the motor 180 degreees , so I did and OH yeah baby, cleared P0404 and took it out for a test ride, bammmm , no more limp mode and turbo is back. Thanks to you I almost gave up... Hope the best for you and thanks for your post.....:clapping::clapping:

Top Bottom