Best Route from Utah to Maryland?

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
In anticipation of selling my house in Maryland, I feel I must abandon my touring of the West for awhile. I am currently stored in Salt Lake City and will fly back there on Nov 5th.

Can any of you suggest a good route back to Maryland to maybe hit some sights, but also avoid foul weather? As it is, right now, I'm hoping the weather holds in SLC until I get there.

If the house is on the market by the end of October, it may sell before I get home. If not, I will need to put it back on the market in May, after the holidays. Being told not too many sell during the Winter.

My greatest thanks, ahead of time.

Scarecrow

Another thought was to store it further South, but my guess is I will need something to live in if it sells, as I check out those areas in Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina. It would give me a great opportunity to tour at my leisure once I know just how much I have in the bank to put towards a new abode.

outbound

06/2500/140
could always store it down in St George and then run the 70 across = my fave route (thru the rockies, plains etc, with the 80 being a more boring, less scenic, less in the way of service/mechanics enroute)

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
In anticipation of selling my house in Maryland, I feel I must abandon my touring of the West for awhile. I am currently stored in Salt Lake City and will fly back there on Nov 5th.

Can any of you suggest a good route back to Maryland to maybe hit some sights, but also avoid foul weather? As it is, right now, I'm hoping the weather holds in SLC until I get there.

If the house is on the market by the end of October, it may sell before I get home. If not, I will need to put it back on the market in May, after the holidays. Being told not too many sell during the Winter.

My greatest thanks, ahead of time.

head south, check out any Utah national parks you missed so far.

the grand canyon north rim might be a bit on the cool side.

turn left by the time you hit I-40
stop at sunset crater north of flagstaff

stop at petrified forest np.

stop at Albuquerque take the cable car to the top.

think about stopping in Okalahoma, and depending on the weather mosey north headed for st louis, the arch, and then along I70 home. stop to see the USAF museum outside Dayton OH.

have fun, and don't worry.

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
USAF museum is a must do if interested in the Air Force or planes or aircraft history. Includes nuclear missiles, several Air Force ones including Kennedy’s. Expect to spend 2 days. No rvs can stay overnight. All is 22,000 sq ft under roof and more outside. Close by is the Wright Brothers bike shop and museum. Oh if you are a knife carrier be sure to leave it in the RV or you will be walking all the way back to the RV to put it up. No signs until at the museum and it is a big lot. No packs, food OR Water allowed either.

glasseye

USAF museum is a must do if interested in the Air Force or planes or aircraft history.
Absolutely. Best aircraft museum in the country.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66920&highlight=Valkyrie

Regarding routing, I'd be keeping a very close eye on the weather for November journeys at high elevation in the west. It can bite you on the ass.

If there's any doubt about the WX, I'd head south from SLC on I-15 to Vegas, then head east.

:idunno:But then, I'm a wuss.

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
USAF museum is a must do if interested in the Air Force or planes or aircraft history. Includes nuclear missiles, several Air Force ones including Kennedy’s. Expect to spend 2 days. No rvs can stay overnight. All is 22,000 sq ft under roof and more outside. Close by is the Wright Brothers bike shop and museum. Oh if you are a knife carrier be sure to leave it in the RV or you will be walking all the way back to the RV to put it up. No signs until at the museum and it is a big lot. No packs, food OR Water allowed either.
Great recommendation. It is also free with free parking and if you need a mobility scooter they will loan you one, 1st come 1st served.

Regarding routing, I'd be keeping a very close eye on the weather for November journeys at high elevation in the west. It can bite you on the ass.

If there's any doubt about the WX, I'd head south from SLC on I-15 to Vegas, then head east.

:idunno:But then, I'm a wuss.
We escaped across the Rockies and missed a snowstorm in October. There was snow in Golden when we stopped by. It must get even more unpredictable in November.

If the route goes through Cleveland OH there's always the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Some interesting stuff there if you're into music. I enjoyed the old video they played in the small theater, but I suppose some of that is found on Youtube.

:cheers: vic

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Absolutely. Best aircraft museum in the country.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66920&highlight=Valkyrie

Check weather.com for November forecast and average Wyoming lows. I think you will decide that mikeme's plan is best. Lone Rock Beach outside Page, AZ is a cool and cheap boondock overnight. (Yes, your Unity will be able to traverse the road(s) to the mesa camping area. Just be sure to arrive in daylight.) And everyone should listen to the Eagles "standin' on a corner in Winslow, AZ" once in his/her life. :rad:

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Or head WAYYYY south to I10 and duck down to Big Bend National Park in Texas and then down to Corpus and hug the coast and then bop back up to I10. Head north before you run into the Atlantic Ocean. Oh, and stop and see Kelly and Laura in the PHX area! We do allow overnight camping in either Rio or Show Low.

After a brief visit:smirk: and on your way to I10 head to Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe National Parks. Great camping at Gaudalupe just south of the caverns. South on 285 into Texas and then the long ride further south to Big Bend. Perfect time of year to be there. After that maybe back north to San Antonio and see that Alamo thingy (why they built that in the middle of downtown is a mystery to me. All that open land around there. Parking is hell! :thinking:).

Finally sick of all that head east on I10 and see Louisiana and then the Big Easy and then go see your relatives in Florida camping each night in all the state parks you can find. Once you get to the relatives that should forestall your notion of moving their permanently.

All the while keep thinking: didn't Kelly and Laura suggest the West is better for you? As you are a closet Westerner after all?:bash:

That's more smilies than I have ever used before...

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
I would take issue with only one point made by klipstr. We did this route in reverse in the spring: Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, skirting the southern border before heading north. Our only disappointment on the whole route was Big Bend NP. It's huge, and you spend all your time driving from one place to another, with not much to see at any stop. If you go through El Paso, consider Franklin Mountains State Park, and be sure to stop at the Border Patrol Museum for a couple of hours. Few people do, but everyone should.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
I will agree: there is a whole lot of driving for not a lot of site seeing. Though we did enjoy the mountain as well as the river campground...

Scarecrow

Great ideas, all! Thanks. Big Bend was one of the first Parks that I ever visited, and that was at least 30 years ago. At that time, it was "the least-visited Park in the USA" - which is why I headed there! I enjoyed it then. Did lots of daydreaming while driving.

I will consider all of these options.

B.kris

I am north of SLc in a mt Valley, and we got 4 inches of snow over night. Avoid I 80. Worse crosswinds and frequently shut down due to weather.

geds

2018 Serenity
I enjoy driving the back roads across Kansas (actually any backroads...). Loop down through Arkansas and TN, then up either side of the Blue Ridge or take the Blue Ridge Parkway/Shenandoah Skyline Drive. Divert to Harpers Ferry and any Civil War site that interests you in TN, VA, and PN.

The worst backroads I've recently driven were the oil field region of West Texas. Some of the more pleasant are the farm roads of East Texas. If you go the TX route, you could take the Natchez Trace through MS, AL, into TN. It ends at Nashville.

... If you go the TX route, you could take the Natchez Trace through MS, AL, into TN. It ends at Nashville.
If the travels take you into the area I second that the Natchez Trace is worth going a bit out of your way to enjoy.

We towed our boat back from Texas by including a good amount of the Natchez Trace. If towing keep an eye on your fuel gauge. There are some sections of the Natchez Trace where diesel is not plentiful. Don't ask. :rolleyes:

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom