Backup Camera

limerence

Does anyone have backup cameras that they installed that they are willing to show pics of?

I have one on my passenger van (RVS-770613) but not sure if I can use the same one since I dont know if its ok to drill into the fiberglass top?

Thanks,
John

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I mounted mine below the 3rd brake light, using that hole for the wires. Then tapped into the backup light to turn it on. I should have added a manual switch to turn it on too as I frequently tow a trailer.

Rob

mogul2us

I mounted mine on the bottom edge of the high brake light black plastic housing and ran the wire thru the existing hole under the high brake light housing. BTW, the backup camera is a wireless Garmin item and works thru the Garmin GPS I have mounted on the windshield (Dezl trucker model). It all works great.

mogul2us

Riptide

I put one in about 2 years ago from Rear View Safety. It's a wi-fi model, so you can use it with their app on a mobile device, like your cell phone or iPad. I primarily use it with a dedicated iPod that we also use for Garmin navigation and music storage for the stereo. I can access the camera anytime the system is turned on, so if I wanted to, I can check what's out back from my bunk in the middle of the night using my phone.

Works great. Kind of a pain to install in a tidy fashion.

limerence

I put one in about 2 years ago from Rear View Safety. It's a wi-fi model, so you can use it with their app on a mobile device, like your cell phone or iPad. I primarily use it with a dedicated iPod that we also use for Garmin navigation and music storage for the stereo. I can access the camera anytime the system is turned on, so if I wanted to, I can check what's out back from my bunk in the middle of the night using my phone.

Works great. Kind of a pain to install in a tidy fashion.
Riptide, which camera did you get from RVS?

I have this one on my passenger van which is too big for the brake light but is their most popular model.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/backup-cameras/commercial-backup-cameras/rvs-770-rear-view-camera.html

I drilled into the roof for that one but looking for good alternatives for the westy.

Thanks,
John

Riptide

Riptide, which camera did you get from RVS?

Thanks,
John
This one: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...camera-systems/wifi-backup-camera-system.html

I mounted the camera on the underside of the top brakelight housing, with some components mounted on the back wall of the cargo area up high, and the wi-fi transmitter and antenna in the hanging closet, behind the canvas cover. I think I put a power switch next to it, so that one can just slide their finger behind the top edge of the canvas to turn the system on or off.

I will say that putting the camera on the underside of the brake light does limit how far one can bend the camera up before it hits the brake light itself. The camera angle is fairly wide, so mess around with it before commiting to drilling.

onemanvan

I'm near sighted so when driving I wear corrective lens which work well for distant objects but it makes viewing objects at arms length difficult - IE: out of focus...

So I cutout a place in the Sun Visor to mount the display - IE: recessed into the visor. I can view the display on the visor by looking over the top rim of my glasses.

Links to the camera and display:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM18BC...&qid=1369951756&sr=8-1&keywords=Pyle+Plcm18bc

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SLDF7O/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted the camera to the bottom edge of the brake light assembly. Routed wires in the tray ( the one the TV wires sit in ) on the passenger side - easy access all the way up to the dome light and then on over to the visor. Modified the dome light switch such that it can turn the camera/display on/off.

Total cost was less than $100 for camera and display - camera has nice wide angle ( 170 degrees ) and good low light response ( .2 Lux ) - no infrared though...

I included a few photos:
1) Visor with backup camera, display and tablet PC on visor
2) New wide field of view hard wired camera & 7 inch display
3) Old narrow field of view el cheapo wireless camera display

Attachments

Last edited:

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
I like those colored lines that help delineate the backup area. I miss having that feature on my backup camera. I have a Sprinter switch on the front panel that turns it on/off and on in reverse. This is easily accomplished by using two diodes to the camera power with one anode fed by the panel switch and the other anode fed by the shifter reverse wire (tapped into wire in shifter harness under switch panel).

NEAT TIP: I am also near-sighted but I have my bifocals made for arms-length focus instead of reading length. This is great for looking at displays, especially dash instruments while driving. If you need to read, just hold page at arms length. I also have computer glasses made with arms-length focus on top and reading bifocal. The latter is great for computing with printed page next to keyboard.

AL

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
I also have the Rear View Safety system, but the hard wired version. I installed the camera it comes with under the rear center brake light using expanding rubber nuts in holes drilled into fiberglass (carefully). The display is mounted by screwing to the steel roof just above the windshield (must drop headliner just a little to access). This puts the display up where the rear view mirror would be, and it works great always running. The multiplex box that connects the camera(s) to the display is mounted inside the cub holder at the console (there is room inside). I had to order a longer cable from Rear View Safety to connect the display to the multiplex switch.

This system allows 3 cameras. Over time, I added a second cheap camera inside the rear bumper for hitch aligning and close bumper backups. I also added another wire run with a connector that is used when attaching the trailer. The trailer has another camera. So I can view the traffic, the hitch, and the trailer depending on which view I select.

I wired the first camera through the interior. In hindsight, I would have wired it underneath the Westy. The Rear View Safety cables are durable and hold up outside.

paul3d

#68 - sold
I was planning to add a camera also - I was wondering if anyone has tried the universal brake light instead?

The Sprinter Brake light version is for 2007+, so that doesn't seem to be a option.

Top Bottom