OOOhhhhoooo. F/S in Cali $35,000

Esmi

I don't know nuthin' about this, except that it came up on my craigslist search and seems to be The Nice Price. Ad copy says diesel generator and diesel furnace -- who knew!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/richmond-2005-airstream-sprinter-camper/6783905170.html

2005 Airstream/Sprinter camper van - $35000 (castro / upper market)
One owner, 2005 limited edition (only 250 made) Airstream Westfalia camper van. 5 cyl Mercedes turbo diesel engine. Very well maintained, kept under cover in Richmond, California. We can bring the van into SF, or meet at storage location in Richmond. Please contact us for more detailed information.

11' tall, sleeps 4 comfortably with two double beds. Front two seats spin around for dining at table.

- Passed full smog test Nov. 2018
Recently installed solar panel maintains batter charge
- Diesel generator
- New diesel furnace 2018
- Two burner propane stove
- Chest style refrigerator
- Bathroom with shower
- New brakes 2017
- New ball joints 2017
- New battery 2017
- New tires 2018
- Suspension upgrades 2017
- New stereo 2017

THIS IS NOT MY AD - I JUST FOUND IT ON CRAIGSLIST AND AM SHARING IN CASE SOMEONE HERE IS INTERESTED.

Attachments

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Killer deal if it’s for real. For someone in the market this is a steal.

Diesel generator is highly likely to be a mistake. Maybe they never used it. The furnaces (2 of them) are diesel powered, so maybe that’s the confusion. At this price, I’m tempted to buy a second Westy for backup!

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Print out the ad if you need a price for sales tax. I moved to Washington and had to pay sales tax on a a Westy I owned for 5 years!

Kiltym

Maybe I can convince my wife to buy it for spares :).

I do know another Westy with a diesel generator in place of the propane. Worth asking about.....

Last edited:

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
A friend was in touch, then didn’t hear back for a while.

Kiltym, very interested to know how someone was able to cram a diesel generator into the somewhat small space underneath. Do you have any more info?

luvwagn

A friend was in touch, then didn’t hear back for a while.

Kiltym, very interested to know how someone was able to cram a diesel generator into the somewhat small space underneath. Do you have any more info?
Their voice-mail box is full (wonder why :thinking:), and they haven't responded to emails nor texts. My assumption is that they already sold the van for $35K and disappeared. Then again, could be a scam ad - New York phone-number, Vermont plates in the pictures, but van located in San Fran area?

Kiltym

We met them last year in Albuquerque, NM. I believe the generator was ordered from Airstream and installed upon delivery to the original owner (I may not remember all the details correctly, but I think it was an Onan). The current owner is on this forum, so I will email and suggest he reply with any further details.

Last edited:

Kiltym

Some more info about the diesel generator:

It was the prior/original owner that had the diesel generator installed, it was then removed before sale to the current owners.

The only other comment was that someone else who met the original owner stated the diesel generator was quite loud, and hung lower then the propane one. So not sure if there were bottoming out issues.

luvwagn

We met them last year in Albuquerque, NM. I believe the generator was ordered from Airstream and installed upon delivery to the original owner (I may not remember all the details correctly, but I think it was an Onan). The current owner is on this forum, so I will email and suggest he reply with any further details.
Would appreciate that Kiltym - i'm seriously interested in buying, willing to fly down and drive it back to Seattle area, would pay MORE than the $35K asking price.

Cheers.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Between my friend, luvwagn, and full voicemail box, I would assume that 35k for a decent Westy is probably too good to be true. Once in a while an owner might want to sell fast and not be aware of the value, so there is always getting lucky. Still, even at current prices (average 50k?), I consider the Mercedes Westies to be quite a bargain compared to the VWs considering what you get.

luvwagn

Some more info about the diesel generator:

It was the prior/original owner that had the diesel generator installed, it was then removed before sale to the current owners.

The only other comment was that someone else who met the original owner stated the diesel generator was quite loud, and hung lower then the propane one. So not sure if there were bottoming out issues.
Do you have contact with the seller? Do they still have the Westy? I want this thing, dammit :drool: :thumbup:

Top Bottom